All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

35B34455-5763-4877-B659-077A2D2447E3.jpeg
Looks like the Vikings have their three finalists for the HC job and Harbough is still a possibility as well. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

That's part of what makes it entertaining in my opinion.
Haven’t heard it. Is Pat a non-dick?
I loved their bit when I listened as the funniest stories involved Sid and Pat’s Pink Elephant Phase.

View attachment 16787
Looks like the Vikings have their three finalists for the HC job and Harbough is still a possibility as well. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
Give me O!!

Much smarter guys on here than me, so basically everyone, who would you pick out of the those three in Ian’s tweets and why?

Give me O!!

Much smarter guys on here than me, so basically everyone, who would you pick out of the those three in Ian’s tweets and why?
If it's not going to be Harbaugh, for me, it's Morris easily. Other than the fact that he's done the gig before, from everything I have heard about the 3, it's not close. Morris, if they don't manage to get Harbaugh to bite.

Give me O!!

1. Harbaugh
2. O'Connell
3. Ryans
4. Morris

Harbaugh is a proven high end coach at all levels and all stops. The rest of the candidates don't even compare to his success.

I'd probably have Ryans above O'Connell if Ryans had spent more than one year at DC. O'Connell has more coordinator experience under one of the top head coaches in the league, so he gets the slight edge.

Morris is the last guy I want and it's not even close. He failed at Tampa, Atlanta didn't want to hire him long term after being the interim HC most of last season, and the Rams defense has regressed quite a bit this season. Hard pass.

Haven’t heard it. Is Pat a non-dick?
I loved their bit when I listened as the funniest stories involved Sid and Pat’s Pink Elephant Phase.
I like the show, I am biased. It's 45-50 minutes freeform of chatting on whatever is going on in the local/national sports world or anything else they want to discuss.

View attachment 16787
If this is the best that's available, give me Harbaugh. If it was strictly from the three guys listed, I'd take a shot with O'Connell. I just think the success rate of offensive coaches is higher at this point. Also, if you're trying to find a franchise QB with a first-time GM (and one that is relatively new to football), it's probably not a bad idea to have a former QB as your HC that can help with the process.

Somehow, we won't get Harbaugh or O'Connell. #MinnesotaSports
If the Vikings want O’ Connell they will get him. They are doing their 2nd interview with him today. Since the Jaguars just decided to put in a request to interview him they will have to wait until after the Super Bowl. You gotta think the Vikings make their hire by that point.

.......... :confused:

Pull the damn trigger today, then. Don't leave it to chance.
I get the sentiment, but there really is no reason to rush the decision unless the choice is Harbough. Ryans and Morris are not finalists for any other jobs. O’Connell has some interest from the Texans and Jaguars, but has not had an initial interview with the Jaguars and has not had a 2nd with the Texans. I would highly doubt that any of those 3 get hired by another team this week.

I would not participate in the Pro Bowl, if I was a player. Fine to show up to the fan experience, do some charity work/donations, etc.

Pat is that you?
Just a fan, going back to the early 80s which goes against the grain of the majority of Gopherholers (though not all).

For those that do appreciate Reusse, he also has a more sports centric weekly podcast on the StarTribune platform with Michael Rand. Daily Delivery. Available wherever you get your fine podcasts.

Jerry Gray. I am certain the hire has to have a certain ummm qualification.

There’s growing belief from the Minnesota Vikings that Jim Harbaugh has real interest in returning to the NFL, according a Monday morning from ESPN.

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports, citing unidentified sources, that the Michigan head coach “conveyed legitimate interest” in coaching the Vikings during a weekend interview with the franchise — with management “coming away feeling Harbaugh is ready for a return to the NFL.”

Which leaves the Vikings and Miami Dolphins as two of the common-sense landing spots for Harbaugh, who has yet to debunk any of the published reports about his NFL dalliance. Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, a Michigan alum and high-level donor, said publicly earlier this month that he’s “not going to be the person that takes Jim Harbaugh from the University of Michigan.”

.......... :confused:

Pull the damn trigger today, then. Don't leave it to chance.
If their pick is O'Connell or Morris they can't officially hire them until after the Super Bowl. Though I suppose they can agree in principle and leak it.

Just a fan, going back to the early 80s which goes against the grain of the majority of Gopherholers (though not all).
I’ve always thought that as a writer and town ball aficionado he was head and shoulders above the rest of the talent in town - he kind of lost me along the way when his negativity seemed to become his prevailing true north.
For those that do appreciate Reusse, he also has a more sports centric weekly podcast on the StarTribune platform with Michael Rand. Daily Delivery. Available wherever you get your fine podcasts.

If their pick is O'Connell or Morris they can't officially hire them until after the Super Bowl. Though I suppose they can agree in principle and leak it.
Perfect.

Plenty of time for O'C to interview with other clubs and decide he likes them better than the Vikings.

I’ve always thought that as a writer and town ball aficionado he was head and shoulders above the rest of the talent in town - he kind of lost me along the way when his negativity seemed to become his prevailing true north.
I think of it as "acerbic" rather than "negative" but it's in the eye of the beholder. I also saw his viewpoints as the offset to the blind faith homer sunshine of Sid. I appreciated Sid as well, for what he was worth, just liked the balance.

As a long time follower of Townball, I always like whatever coverage he gives. Many times I have seen him in Dundas, Miesville, Chaska or wherever.

I also appreciate his columns on the MIAC, including this Sunday writing about the Augsburg at Carleton men's & women's games. I would have been there too, if not for the pandemic fan restrictions, plus the men's game was cancelled anyway due to issues with the Auggies. 😷

my personal opinion is that I would prefer the Vikes to go for a real fresh start. New GM, new young HC, new Coordinators, and take a couple of years to rework the roster and get in a better cap situation.

Question is whether the Wilfs are OK with that. If the Wilfs want to go for a short-term fix, I could see them hiring Harbaugh. But - if that means they extend Cousins, or bring him back on a $45-mill cap hit, then I don't want anything to do with it.

I would be fine with a couple of 4-win or 5-win seasons, If it meant that the team was drafting some good young talent and getting positioned to be a serious contender in '24 or so.

Of course, have to figure out the QB.

Besides Harbaugh, the most intriguing candidate to me is Ryans. Seems to be in the mold of Mike Tomlin: one year as a DC with impressive results working for an offensive-minded head coach, and he has a way to make players want to run through walls for him.

The good news if it is Harbaugh is the national attention that comes with him.

Pick one of these 30-something offensive minds, and we just fall in with every other recent hire of the last 5 years.

The good news if it is Harbaugh is the national attention that comes with him.

Pick one of these 30-something offensive minds, and we just fall in with every other recent hire of the last 5 years.
Yeah, who would want to be a Rams or Bengals fan today with their anonymous thirtysomething, dime a dozen head coaches?

Top Bottom