All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I'm sure they will say he was the 1st choice now. Either way it is what it is. I didn't have a strong opinion between the two, but this guy reminds me a bit too much of Derek Falvey.
Cleveland data guys aren't your thing?

I'm sure they will say he was the 1st choice now. Either way it is what it is. I didn't have a strong opinion between the two, but this guy reminds me a bit too much of Derek Falvey.
I think it says something that he was going to be the first interviewed out of the two. Either the Vikings were more interested in Kwesi or Poles was more interested in the Bears. They had to know there was a decent chance that Poles would get hired by the bears if things went well.

I don't get people saying the Bears "stole" Poles from the Vikings.

It takes 2 to Tango. If Poles didn't like the Bears, he wouldn't have said "yes" to their offer. what were the Vikings supposed to do - fly to Chicago and kidnap him before he agreed to the deal?

Also, if Poles liked the Vikes, he could have told the Bears "I have to wait and talk to MN before I make a decision."

In the end, Poles said Yes to the Bears because he wanted to say Yes to the Bears. Maybe he liked the Bears just a little more than the Vikes. Maybe he liked the Bears a lot more than the Vikes. but either way, he liked the Bears more.

Also....FWIW...Vikes exec Andrew Miller, who is part of the interview process, supposedly has ties to K-A-M and has allegedly been boosting his candidacy. So K-A-M may have been the favored candidate all along.

I'd rather have had a guy that played football.

But that is absolutely not any kind of criteria that guarantees anything. I fully acknowledge that.

I think it says something that he was going to be the first interviewed out of the two. Either the Vikings were more interested in Kwesi or Poles was more interested in the Bears. They had to know there was a decent chance that Poles would get hired by the bears if things went well.
Personally, I would take the Vikings job. The McClaskey son that's in charge for Chicago seems like an idiot.

Personally, I would take the Vikings job. The McClaskey son that's in charge for Chicago seems like an idiot.
IMO, there are only two things that makes Chicago a better job. 1- if you believe Justin Fields will turn into a good QB, that is one massive monkey off your back that you don't have to deal with, and 2- It is possibly easier to lure free agents to Chicago due to market size. Everything else favors MN as the better job, with a big one being ownership. Somewhat 'hands off' owners that are willing to spend money? Yeah, give me that job.

Is Chicago getting a new stadium any time soon? Honest question.

Maybe the Jags would move there, if they did, like LA got a new stadium with dual occupancy?

Maybe the Jags would move there, if they did, like LA got a new stadium with dual occupancy?
That ugly spaceship was just rebuilt like 15 years ago, so I doubt it.

Falvey isn't the GM of the Twins

That ugly spaceship was just rebuilt like 15 years ago, so I doubt it.
20 actually, so I would imagine the lease is coming up soon.

When I was in Chicago over the holidays, the talk made it seem pretty likely they are on their way to Arlington Park within a few years.

Meaningless distinction. He's in charge of the front office.

He's the President of Baseball Operations, it's not a meaningless distinction. It's an entirely different job. He's essentially the Rob Brzezinski of the Twins. Levine is the GM of the Twins.

Falvey and Levine inherited by far the worst team in baseball and have a .527 winning percentage over 5 years since with a historically cheap ownership group. This is significantly better than the 6 years prior to them being hired.

They have done a good job with the Twins. The Vikings need more analytics driven leadership.

He's the President of Baseball Operations, it's not a meaningless distinction. It's an entirely different job. He's essentially the Rob Brzezinski of the Twins. Levine is the GM of the Twins.

Falvey and Levine inherited by far the worst team in baseball and have a .527 winning percentage over 5 years since with a historically cheap ownership group. This is significantly better than the 6 years prior to them being hired.

They have done a good job with the Twins. The Vikings need more analytics driven leadership.
Post of the week.

You're probably right. But I feel like baseball affords many more opportunities for good statistical analysis and predictive models to have an impact, than football does. Maybe

When I was in Chicago over the holidays, the talk made it seem pretty likely they are on their way to Arlington Park within a few years.
Chicago Jags vs Indy Colts, would make sense. But of course so would St Louis Jags, or San Antonio Jags ... or London Jags. Or stay in Jacksonville.

Another crazy thing when speaking of NFC North stadiums: Ford Field is coming up on 20 years old.

I doubt that Detroit can afford or is willing to build a new stadium though.

In the end, Poles said Yes to the Bears because he wanted to say Yes to the Bears. Maybe he liked the Bears just a little more than the Vikes. Maybe he liked the Bears a lot more than the Vikes. but either way, he liked the Bears more.
Or, maybe he chose the bird in hand and took the job that was offered to him rather than risk losing that job for another position that might not be offered to him.

Chicago Jags vs Indy Colts, would make sense. But of course so would St Louis Jags, or San Antonio Jags ... or London Jags. Or stay in Jacksonville.

Another crazy thing when speaking of NFC North stadiums: Ford Field is coming up on 20 years old.

I doubt that Detroit can afford or is willing to build a new stadium though.
Arlington Park is just 25 mi NW of Chicago, not like they are leaving the market. I doubt they would put a 2nd team in Chicago, but since they did it in LA recently, I guess maybe.

Disagree. Falvey is Levine's boss and has ultimate authority on who the Twins sign/draft. Brezinski was not Spielman's boss and does not have final say.

Falvey/Levine may have started out OK, but they choked on pulling the trigger and going all in on 2019 when they should have, and they had an absolutely terrible 20-21 off-season.

All that said, your last sentence may be true and hopefully it works out well.

Last edited:

NOV 11, 2021 AT 6:30 AM

The Chicago Bears have called Soldier Field home since 1971 — but that could change later this decade.

The franchise on Sept. 29 announced it signed a purchase agreement for Arlington International Racecourse. Churchill Downs Inc., owner of the 326-acre property in Arlington Heights, said the price was $197.2 million and anticipated closing the sale in late 2022 or early 2023..

The Bears have remained tight-lipped about their plans, perhaps because they still are working to complete the deal and need more time to look at all options. And, of course, they likely are considering how much they want to spend on the development.

The Bears franchise is worth $4.075 billion, the seventh-highest valuation in the NFL, according to an August 2021 Forbes report. But Soldier Field is owned by the Chicago Park District and holds 61,500 fans, the smallest capacity in the NFL. So building their own stadium with a higher seating capacity and surrounding shopping, dining and entertainment district would add to that valuation considerably..

NOV 11, 2021 AT 6:30 AM

The Chicago Bears have called Soldier Field home since 1971 — but that could change later this decade.

The franchise on Sept. 29 announced it signed a purchase agreement for Arlington International Racecourse. Churchill Downs Inc., owner of the 326-acre property in Arlington Heights, said the price was $197.2 million and anticipated closing the sale in late 2022 or early 2023..

The Bears have remained tight-lipped about their plans, perhaps because they still are working to complete the deal and need more time to look at all options. And, of course, they likely are considering how much they want to spend on the development.

The Bears franchise is worth $4.075 billion, the seventh-highest valuation in the NFL, according to an August 2021 Forbes report. But Soldier Field is owned by the Chicago Park District and holds 61,500 fans, the smallest capacity in the NFL. So building their own stadium with a higher seating capacity and surrounding shopping, dining and entertainment district would add to that valuation considerably..

Thanks, so yeah timeframe debatable 3-10 years but sounds kinda sorta definitive that they move to the 'burbs.

As I noted above, Andrew Miller is a Vikings VP - replaced Kevin Warren when Warren went to the B1G.

Miller has a business and analytics background. He worked in baseball before joining the Vikes.

K-A-M is an Ivy League grad (Princeton) with a business and analytics background.

and Vikes' part-owner Mark Wilf is a Princeton grad.

So, according to some sources, Miller and Mark Wilf have been fans of K-A-M from the start and that is why he may have been the favored candidate.

Or, maybe he chose the bird in hand and took the job that was offered to him rather than risk losing that job for another position that might not be offered to him.
Way too many scenarios in play here to guess. At the end of the day, Adofo-Mensah was my first choice over Poles. Some can try to say Chicago "stole" Poles first, you could just as easily make an argument that Poles knew he was the second choice in Minnesota and grabbed a chair before the music stopped playing.

I'm happy with the move. He's a very smart guy who I would imagine understands the importance of surrounding yourself with a lot of smart people who have strengths where he knows he does not. I think it's a great move and a great hire.

Arlington Park is just 25 mi NW of Chicago, not like they are leaving the market. I doubt they would put a 2nd team in Chicago, but since they did it in LA recently, I guess maybe.
This could be a half-baked memory, but I thought the Chicago mayor at the time (could've been some time ago now) was advocating for a 2nd NFL team in Chicago to give justification to build a new stadium for their Olympic bid?

So that, and that they did it for LA, is mainly what I was thinking. Likely not going to happen.

This could be a half-baked memory, but I thought the Chicago mayor at the time (could've been some time ago now) was advocating for a 2nd NFL team in Chicago to give justification to build a new stadium for their Olympic bid?

So that, and that they did it for LA, is mainly what I was thinking. Likely not going to happen.
I have heard that also being possible. However, on that improbable situation I would think it would be via expansion, with the majority of the fee going to the Bears for having their territory rights compromised.

LA was different with the Rams just reappearing back in the area. Don't know what rights the Rams had. Plus having paid for the majority of the construction costs, they were ok with having the Chargers as a tenant getting some income back. Just my amateur take on that deal.

What's crazy was that the Raiders desperately wanted in on LA. They got shut out of the deal and eventually had to "settle" for Las Vegas. Couldn't have worked out any better for them as it turned out. Ka-ching!

I just cannot understand why -- even if it were just for the playoffs -- they keep sudden death if the first drive scores a touchdown.

Why??

Let the other team have one drive to try to answer. How is that possibly wrong??

They do it if the first drive "only" gets a FG.

So stupid.
Just put a rope across the 50 yard line and each team gets to pick their 11 for a tug of war. Drag the other team onto your half of the field and you win.

Top Bottom