All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Ravens fire their DC since 2018, with the org (LB coach) since 2012.

No idea if he would be a fit here, but whomever we eventually hire will need a DC.

Baltimore ranked No. 25 on defense last season, the first time the Ravens had finished out of the top 10 in Martindale's four seasons as defensive coordinator. The Ravens also allowed the second-most yards (363.4) in the franchise's 26-year history, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Martindale, 58, had been with the Ravens since their 2012 Super Bowl season and was known for his ultra-aggressive style. The Ravens regularly ranked among the highest-blitzing teams.

This season, the Ravens struggled after losing three of their four starters in the secondary -- cornerbacks Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters and safety DeShon Elliott -- to season-ending injuries. Baltimore had trouble stopping teams late in games, forcing turnovers and preventing big plays in the passing game.

The Ravens gave up the most completions of 20 or more yards in the NFL (74) and 40 yards or more (16). Baltimore also managed just 34 sacks this season, which ranked 22nd in the league.

This was unlike any season under Martindale, whose defenses ranked No. 1 in 2018, No. 4 in 2019 and No. 7 in 2020. He had been considered a head-coaching candidate, even interviewing for the New York Giants job in 2020.
I thought Wink had passed🥺

Three issues.
1) Squib kick wasn't done that would have chewed 4-7 seconds off.
2) On the final pass to put them in field goal position, I kept telling the tv, don't tackle him, don't tackle him. Let the clock run down. There were four guys around the receiver and when you get to 3-4 seconds left, let him run as you've got that many guys around him to prevent him from scoring.
3) After Buffalo called the last time out, the receiver and the QB were able to communicate where the receiver recognizes the set up. Mahomes yelled twice go to the receiver where he would bolt straight down the field and turn. Bottom line is that 2nd time out by Buffalo set them up.

Perhaps number 2 is difficult, but too often I've seen it where the player is tackled with seconds left on the clock and then they go ahead and kick a long field goal to win. The odds are better to get the clock to run out in my opinion.

Not the same. In football on any given play the defense can take the ball away or score themselves.
Which would be rare.

Neither team could stop the other. It all came down to a coin flip.

With #2 it looked like Kelce was looking at the clock and was going to give himself up to call TO wherever he was at. The Buffalo D guys should have held him upright while allowing him to move forward until the clock his zero, but that would be difficult to do.

Which would be rare.

That's why having a 10 minute clock would be better. Had KC had to kick off after that TD, Buffalo could have gone on a drive and scored, then decided at that point to kick and continue playing (hoping they could stop KC on next possession which would have probably been after 10 minutes are up so it would have been sudden victory at that point) OR they could have tried to go for two and taken the lead and hope to keep KC out of FG range before the 10 minutes were up.

Which would be rare.

Defensive scoring is rare. Turnovers less rare. Forcing a punt or turnover on downs pretty common in football. 10 of the 19 regulation drives in the Bills/Chiefs game ended in a non Touchdown (punt or Field Goal attempt), though of the FGs were because time running out in each half.

Buffalo had 60 minutes prior to outscore them. They didn't. Could have stopped them with 13 seconds. They didn't. At least in OT they had the chance to cause a turnover or force a changeover on downs. They didn't.

So their captain made a bad choice on the coin flip. Thems the breaks.

As you said neither team could stop the other at the end of regulation/4th Quarter, so even if Buffalo did get the ball they they still would have lost, eventually.

Defensive scoring is rare. Turnovers less rare. Forcing a punt or turnover on downs pretty common in football. 10 of the 19 regulation drives in the Bills/Chiefs game ended in a non Touchdown (punt or Field Goal attempt), though of the FGs were because time running out in each half.

Buffalo had 60 minutes prior to outscore them. They didn't. Could have stopped them with 13 seconds. They didn't. At least in OT they had the chance to cause a turnover or force a changeover on downs. They didn't.

So their captain made a bad choice on the coin flip. Thems the breaks.

As you said neither team could stop the other at the end of regulation/4th Quarter, so even if Buffalo did get the ball they they still would have lost, eventually.
Wait a minute, didn't Kansas City have 60 minutes to outscore Buffalo? They did not. What's their reward with not being able to outscore Buffalo in 60 minutes........they won a coin flip.

How the hell don't both teams get a chance to play offense? It's the only sport I know of.

By the way, another thing that annoys the crap out of me is how the refs swallow their whistles in the playoffs.

There was barely any offensive holding called over the weekend. Teams were bringing pressure and blitzing. Players were being held more than ever. It was very rare to have an offensive hold. Trent Williams got a cheese ball one near the goal line in Green Bay, but well, that's in Green Bay. What else is new.

Wait a minute, didn't Kansas City have 60 minutes to outscore Buffalo? They did not. What's their reward with not being able to outscore Buffalo in 60 minutes........they won a coin flip.

How the hell don't both teams get a chance to play offense? It's the only sport I know of.
Both teams know the rule ahead of time. Can't outscore them in regulation? You must stop them in OT if you lose the toss. Chiefs still had to execute on offense and reach paydirt.

Tony Kornheiser shares my view. On today's PTI, "You want the ball back? Stop somebody! And if you can't stop them, shut up." Wilbon then added, "Amen."

I ride with those guys.

Last edited:

When I am the underdog definitely.😎

Playing hockey it's way more fun to shutdown and beat a better team than it is to beat a team you "should" beat.
What position do u play?
Over 4o league?

Both teams know the rule ahead of time. Can't outscore them in regulation? You must stop them in OT if you lose the toss. Chiefs still has to execute on offense and reach paydirt.

Tony Kornheiser shares my view. On today's PTI, "You want the ball back? Stop somebody! And if you can't stop them, shut up." Wilbon then added, "Amen."

I ride with those guys.
I think you can have that take now and still think the rule is dumb and want the league to change it in the future. I have rarely been as invested in a non-Vikings game, and that ending just sucked all the fun out of it. It's a dumb way to finish a playoff game. The thing is it's not a hard thing to fix. That's why it's so dumb.

It was dumb when it happened to the Chiefs three years ago, and we here we are again.

Both teams know the rule ahead of time. Can't outscore them in regulation? You must stop them in OT if you lose the toss. Chiefs still has to execute on offense and reach paydirt.

I ride with those guys.
Well ya, both teams know of this dumb rule ahead of time. Awesome

The rule is pretty much, we had better win this coin flip.

I ride with those guys.
KC’s defense couldn’t stop anybody either.

KC’s defense couldn’t stop anybody either.
Good thing their offense scored a TD to make it a moot point. If neither team could stop anyone, then it still was dependent on the coin toss, just sooner rather than later.
Well ya, both teams know of this dumb rule ahead of time. Awesome

The rule is pretty much, we had better win this coin flip.
Or win it before it gets to that point. No rule against that.
I think you can have that take now and still think the rule is dumb and want the league to change it in the future. I have rarely been as invested in a non-Vikings game, and that ending just sucked all the fun out of it. It's a dumb way to finish a playoff game. The thing is it's not a hard thing to fix. That's why it's so dumb.

It was dumb when it happened to the Chiefs three years ago, and we here we are again.
I don't think it's dumb, but if it changes so be it. I like it fine as is. Changing it would swing over too much advantage to the kicking team, IMO.

Such a bad take and idea.

Skol Vikes!!
Yeah, I don't see the equivalency. If you include the ones he coached under Parcells, didn't the Hoodie have 7 Super Bowl Rings, 10 appearances overall at that time? Added another one after that. Slightly more past history of success than Les.

That game though should have given the Lions pause for hiring Matt Patricia.

Souhan has been pushing for Frazier. Oh boy…

Last edited:

What position do u play?
Over 4o league?

I usually play defense, sometimes center.
My league is low level, all ages but lots of older guys even up to late 60's. I'm 45 but I have only been playing about 4 years, unless you count playing kindergarten to 2nd grade.

Hadn't skated in almost 40 years, now I play 2-3 times a week. It's great and a killer workout.

Such a bad take and idea.

Skol Vikes!!

Yep
I want young and aggressive coaches on both sides of the ball.

The Wilfs should ban the prevent defense, it's not relevant in today's game.

Ravens fire their DC since 2018, with the org (LB coach) since 2012.

No idea if he would be a fit here, but whomever we eventually hire will need a DC.

Baltimore ranked No. 25 on defense last season, the first time the Ravens had finished out of the top 10 in Martindale's four seasons as defensive coordinator. The Ravens also allowed the second-most yards (363.4) in the franchise's 26-year history, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Martindale, 58, had been with the Ravens since their 2012 Super Bowl season and was known for his ultra-aggressive style. The Ravens regularly ranked among the highest-blitzing teams.

This season, the Ravens struggled after losing three of their four starters in the secondary -- cornerbacks Marlon Humphrey and Marcus Peters and safety DeShon Elliott -- to season-ending injuries. Baltimore had trouble stopping teams late in games, forcing turnovers and preventing big plays in the passing game.

The Ravens gave up the most completions of 20 or more yards in the NFL (74) and 40 yards or more (16). Baltimore also managed just 34 sacks this season, which ranked 22nd in the league.

This was unlike any season under Martindale, whose defenses ranked No. 1 in 2018, No. 4 in 2019 and No. 7 in 2020. He had been considered a head-coaching candidate, even interviewing for the New York Giants job in 2020.
Martindale will be working somewhere in the league next year, and he'll have another very good defense. Ravens defense, especially the secondary, was decimated by injuries this year. And yes, sometimes a relationship runs its course.

How Saleh gets a HC gig with the Jets and Martindale doesn't even get a sniff is just mind-boggling. I know, I know, Rooney rule and everything, but Saleh worked with like 5-6 1st rounders in his front 7, of course the 49ers were going to have a good/great defense. Saleh is gone this year and the 49ers Defense has been even better. Go figure.

Three issues.
1) Squib kick wasn't done that would have chewed 4-7 seconds off.
Personally not a fan of the squib, but the play here was to DEFINITELY kick it high, inside the 10, and between the sideline and the numbers. Best kickoff you can do honestly. That was coaching malpractice to kick it deep for a touchback. Then again, so was not pressing any of the KC receivers at the line OR not using more than 3 guys to rush Mahomes. Gotta make the QB hold the ball for a few seconds

Martindale will be working somewhere in the league next year, and he'll have another very good defense. Ravens defense, especially the secondary, was decimated by injuries this year. And yes, sometimes a relationship runs its course.

How Saleh gets a HC gig with the Jets and Martindale doesn't even get a sniff is just mind-boggling. I know, I know, Rooney rule and everything, but Saleh worked with like 5-6 1st rounders in his front 7, of course the 49ers were going to have a good/great defense. Saleh is gone this year and the 49ers Defense has been even better. Go figure.
I don’t think Saleh was truly benefited by the Rooney Rule, more likely it was the “Mcvay Effect”. He was a good coordinator, but there is no doubt that since McVay there is a trend by many teams to look at and hire younger coaches that would not have been seriously considered in the past. It’s why teams are looking at candidates like Hackett, O’Connell, Moore, Leftwhich, and Demeco Ryans (Saleh’s replacement) this cycle. The other trendy group of candidates to hire from is coaches with previous HC candidates experience like Raheem Morris, Todd Bowles, Dan Quinn, and Doug Pederson in this cycle. Unfortunately, Martindale falls in neither category and as a result it seems much harder for guys like him to get a look based on recent hiring trends. I am sure he will be a good DC for someone next season though.

I ride with those guys.
I don't really have a strong opinion one way or another on the OT rules, but just want to chime in to say that having Kornheiser and Wilbon on your side isn't exactly evidence of a good argument.

I wonder if he's the 1st choice or the Bears stole Poles from us...
Hard to say, I have seen conflicting reports from different “sources”. It’s hard to give much credence to any of them.

Hard to say, I have seen conflicting reports from different “sources”. It’s hard to give much credence to any of them.
I'm sure they will say he was the 1st choice now. Either way it is what it is. I didn't have a strong opinion between the two, but this guy reminds me a bit too much of Derek Falvey.

Top Bottom