All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I'm onboard with Poles as well, but I do not understand the Morris love. He was the interim HC in Atlanta just last season, and they did not hire him long term. He failed at Tampa, and the Rams defense has taken a big step backwards this season.

from what I'm reading/hearing, Morris is really well-liked by his players, and he has a lot of positive energy - being compared to Mike Tomlin in that regard. Plus, he has coached both offense and defense in the NFL, so he at least has some exposure to both sides of the ball.

I'm also hearing a lot of buzz about DeMeco Ryans as a coaching candidate - also for the people skills.

let's face it, after Zim, the word is the Vikes' brain trust wants a younger, more upbeat coach who can relate to all his players.

from what I'm reading/hearing, Morris is really well-liked by his players, and he has a lot of positive energy - being compared to Mike Tomlin in that regard. Plus, he has coached both offense and defense in the NFL, so he at least has some exposure to both sides of the ball.

I'm also hearing a lot of buzz about DeMeco Ryans as a coaching candidate - also for the people skills.

let's face it, after Zim, the word is the Vikes' brain trust wants a younger, more upbeat coach who can relate to all his players.

I get that about Morris, but a lot of guys have that and don't necessarily make good head coaches. Especially when he's already failed once.

I do like Ryans, and would rather give him a chance over Morris. If the Vikings hire Kwesi Adofo-Mensah as GM, he has ties to Ryans from his 49ers days.

Check this out. He would waive his no trade clause to come to Minnesota. What do you guys think.

Check this out. He would waive his no trade clause to come to Minnesota. What do you guys think.

I'd be all in on this, but as it's always been, what is the cost? At the price tag the Texans have been maintaining all along, it would be a very, very difficult move to make (a bunch of 1sts, etc). If you were going to do it though, now would be the time. A new GM/HC will have all kinds of grace period; mortgaging away some future assets before you even play a game, they can survive a move like that.

Kinda stupid speculation though considering they don't have a GM/HC in place yet; unless the Wilfs are taking some kind of strong stance on Watson which would be highly HIGHLY unlikely. They've been very hands off owners for their entire time owning the Vikings.

I wonder if Poles would have any sway with Bieniemy and/or want to bring him along.
Man, I just can't support a Bienemy hire. Just too much smoke and I just find it hard to believe he's calling much of the shots under Andy Reid. I'd rather take a shot at a Hacket or a Leftwich or Daboll. Demeco Ryans is interesting.

I'd be all in on this, but as it's always been, what is the cost? At the price tag the Texans have been maintaining all along, it would be a very, very difficult move to make (a bunch of 1sts, etc). If you were going to do it though, now would be the time. A new GM/HC will have all kinds of grace period; mortgaging away some future assets before you even play a game, they can survive a move like that.

Kinda stupid speculation though considering they don't have a GM/HC in place yet; unless the Wilfs are taking some kind of strong stance on Watson which would be highly HIGHLY unlikely. They've been very hands off owners for their entire time owning the Vikings.
The buzz is that the Wilfs are in on this. The deal here is that Watson has a no trade clause. You would think a qb would love to go with a young JJ, Irv Smith Jr, Cook, etc. This NFL guy is saying he would waive the clause.

I think you can get a first for Cousins.

The question is whether Watson is pure trash with his legal troubles.

Also, he went 10-6 his second season with the Bucs with Josh Freeman at QB. Those teams weren't exactly loaded with talent.

Per Shooter:

It will be surprising if the Minnesota Vikings don’t trade quarterback Kirk Cousins and his 2022 $35 million guaranteed salary, which comes with a $45 million cap hit, before mid-March.
Carolina, Denver and Cleveland make the most sense for Cousins, who turns 34 in August. New Orleans could also be a destination, but Carolina seems most likely. It’s highly unlikely the Panthers will bring back Cam Newton as their starter.

Cousins probably would need a three-year contract from his new team. A trade might be able to fetch the Vikings a second-round draft pick in return. It also could require the Vikings to pay at least $10 million of Cousins’ current contract. The draft pick could depend on how much of Cousins’ salary the Vikings would have to pay.

This spring’s QB draft is weak. If the Vikings, although they won’t admit it, are rebuilding, they could sign a Marcus Mariota or another free agent QB of that stature to get them through 2022.

Skol Vikes!!

Per Shooter:

It will be surprising if the Minnesota Vikings don’t trade quarterback Kirk Cousins and his 2022 $35 million guaranteed salary, which comes with a $45 million cap hit, before mid-March.
Carolina, Denver and Cleveland make the most sense for Cousins, who turns 34 in August. New Orleans could also be a destination, but Carolina seems most likely. It’s highly unlikely the Panthers will bring back Cam Newton as their starter.

Cousins probably would need a three-year contract from his new team. A trade might be able to fetch the Vikings a second-round draft pick in return. It also could require the Vikings to pay at least $10 million of Cousins’ current contract. The draft pick could depend on how much of Cousins’ salary the Vikings would have to pay.

This spring’s QB draft is weak. If the Vikings, although they won’t admit it, are rebuilding, they could sign a Marcus Mariota or another free agent QB of that stature to get them through 2022.

Skol Vikes!!
How could he possibly know that if a new GM and coach haven’t been hired yet?

Well, the Vikes are doing their second interviews with the 2 GM candidates Tuesday and Wednesday.

So, it's possible that a new GM could be hired as soon as Thursday. Then, the new GM will presumably have a say in the hiring of a HC.

of the 8 listed coaching candidates, 4 are on teams that are still playing, which impacts when a second round of interviews might take place. If, for instance, the Ram or the 49'ers make the Super Bowl, it's possible the Vikes don't finalize the HC job until February. (assuming they want a 2nd interview with Morris or Ryans)

Bowles is getting a 2nd interview.

Should they hire a guy who lets Kupp go single covered with 35 seconds left and 80 or so yards from the end zone?

I always root for the underdog if I have nothing else to root for.
Yep. Bills for me now. As they share our illustrious 0-4 Super Bowl record.

Best weekend of football playoffs ever.

Me and my buddy were just saying the same thing. The games have been unreal. Already three walkoff FGs. Looks like we are going to have another right now.

I think Leslie Frazier's name has been crossed off all lists...yikes.

That Bills v Chiefs game was an all-time classic. One of the best games I've seen.

Feel terrible for the Bills. That entire team must have felt ecstatic before those final 13 seconds. Never recovered going into OT.

NFC looks so old and slow in comparison.

Top Bottom