All things 2021 MN state high school tournament

Gopher recruits Tre Holloman first game of class 4A semifinal and Camden Heide game number two this evening

Man I grew up playing those Litchfield teams. They were crazy good. Carlson as a 9th grader was so amazing around the good. He actually got worse once he bulked up and became football focused (correct choice).
Wasn't John Carlson's older brother a pretty terrific point guard? As I recall hearing (I missed seeing the older brother Carlson), that Litchfield team took apart Mpls Patrick Henry when they were blitzing everyone else in the state.

Man I grew up playing those Litchfield teams. They were crazy good. Carlson as a 9th grader was so amazing around the good. He actually got worse once he bulked up and became football focused (correct choice).
Ha! We played them too. The Pattons were really good too. We got beat by like 25, but kept it close until the 4th. Their coach told us we played them as tough as anyone and got beat by 25! Yeah, they were an amazing team.

CDH defense is swarming. Good team effort. Holloman obviously started last year. Tauer came off the bench last years team was deep. The other 8 guys playing tonight were JV guys last year.

Ha! We played them too. The Pattons were really good too. We got beat by like 25, but kept it close until the 4th. Their coach told us we played them as tough as anyone and got beat by 25! Yeah, they were an amazing team.
Yeah the HS team have three sets of brothers, Carlsons, Pattens, and another one I’m forgetting (Van or von something). Also had a D2 guard who graduated the same year as Jon that was their stud. It was crazy.

Wasn't John Carlson's older brother a pretty terrific point guard? As I recall hearing (I missed seeing the older brother Carlson), that Litchfield team took apart Mpls Patrick Henry when they were blitzing everyone else in the state.
Alex was the older brother who played at St Cloud if I remember correctly.

Yup, but they destroyed Tartan by 35 (who won state in 4A I believe) but never played Henry IIRC. That was the matchup everyone wanted since those teams were by far the best two in state that year.

Agreed. Saw him break his arm one summer so he shot free throws left handed. Would have been a super solid mid major PF

Dave Lee makes this so much less watchable. Still hard to believe he called Division I games.

Dave Lee makes this so much less watchable. Still hard to believe he called Division I games.
literally just said this to my wife. He misses half the game telling stories.

4 games, 3 blowouts. This state tournament seems bland, Lee is monotone, no fans... watching that game winner by Oturu with fans looks so much different then this

Lynch just said Cam H from Wayzata might be the best player on their team and he's interested to see what kind of offers he might get? He thinks he might be D1 player, but not sure how high he could go. How the hell did he get that gig? He has no f-ing clue about any of it and D Lee just went right along with it.
Of course the blowout makes it worse as they have no real action to talk about, which only enhances their complete ignorance to MN high school basketball.

4 games, 3 blowouts. This state tournament seems bland, Lee is monotone, no fans... watching that game winner by Oturu with fans looks so much different then this
Lee makes a conscious effort to tone down his voice because I'm sure he's been told how grating it is and has been coached to try and not sound so obnoxious. But all that does is make him conspicuously monotone until he forgets and suddenly spazzes his voice out. Other than the chalkboard scene in Jaws or hearing a rabbit killed by a predator, it's literally the worst sound in the world.

Yeah the HS team have three sets of brothers, Carlsons, Pattens, and another one I’m forgetting (Van or von something). Also had a D2 guard who graduated the same year as Jon that was their stud. It was crazy.
It was VanLiere. Alex Carlson was a stud played so smart. defense was rock solid. Got everyone involved but when they needed buckets he got em. John Carlson i remember scouting him and watching him shoot free throws once left handed and then another time right handed drilling them all. That's when I realized he was ambidextrous. Mike Patten was a shooter. The thing with this team is it was one of the greatest team basketball teams I have ever seen.

Side note-Alex Carlson was also one of the best tennis players in the state at the time.

Last edited:

Lynch just said Cam H from Wayzata might be the best player on their team and he's interested to see what kind of offers he might get? He thinks he might be D1 player, but not sure how high he could go. How the hell did he get that gig? He has no f-ing clue about any of it and D Lee just went right along with it.
Of course the blowout makes it worse as they have no real action to talk about, which only enhances their complete ignorance to MN high school basketball.
So, Ryan James on Twitter seems to be a necessary follow to supplement the startling lack of background prep from Lynch/Lee:

So, Ryan James on Twitter seems to be a necessary follow to supplement the startling lack of background prep from Lynch/Lee:
Glad he set the record straight. This is the first time I've seen him play, and I love his game. Smooth and almost effortless in his shooting. He's going to be a heck of a college player.

Can't beleive Lynch is this uneducated. We really need Jim Peterson in there because he knows all this. Heck even I know way more about these players and their offers than Lynch and Lee do.

Lynch is simply lazy It’s a disservice to the High Schools and players to have someone so ignorant doing the games. Still remember the line from a sportswriter after the Gophers lost to Georgia Tech and Kenny Anderson in the NCCA tourney and in the closing seconds the Gophers had a chance to win and ball fell in the hands of Lynch in the corner. I believe the quote was he was as pale as Dracula’s ghost when he found himself with the shoot as time ticked away. He missed badly. That doesn’t have anything to do with his broadcast talents. I found it funny Believe it was Patrick Reusse

Glad he set the record straight. This is the first time I've seen him play, and I love his game. Smooth and almost effortless in his shooting. He's going to be a heck of a college player.
Heide, easily based on skill and athletic ability will be a solid D-1 player....He has ability with deceptive quickness to create his own shot or slash to the rim with a decent vertical ..What also stood out was his great defensive play & quick hands....Note to Ben Johnson, keep this kid in the state, he is the real-deal....

Heide, easily based on skill and athletic ability will be a solid D-1 player....He has ability with deceptive quickness to create his own shot or slash to the rim with a decent vertical ..What also stood out was his great defensive play & quick hands....Note to Ben Johnson, keep this kid in the state, he is the real-deal....
Gonna be cool when Ben Johnson thanks xxxdog for Heide signing

A few more from Lee and Lynch. Calling Shakopee's Nick Katona "Nick CAN-tona" all night. Also, zero mention or further analysis of Shakopee's starting PG Cade McGraw leaving the game a few minutes in. He's the MVP of their team.

Looks like he has grown too, and they list him him at 6'6". Sounds like Purdue is the favorite right now

Top Bottom