All things 2021 MN state high school tournament

Understood. McHale needed those four years at UMN to grow his body. Holmgren may need the same. Great skill set, just needs his man muscles to kick in.
McHale also went #3 in his draft and has three NBA championship rings. High praise for Holmgren.

Holmgren fits the modern NBA. He isn’t going to be a banger. KG was rail thin and he was OK. Chet is a wing.

McHale also went #3 in his draft and has three NBA championship rings. High praise for Holmgren.
Yep. When he gains his man muscles he'll be a beast. I watched McHale in high school. His footwork and quickness was amazing for a 6'11" kid. His post moves were fantastic. Holmgren has that same kind of footwork.

Yep. When he gains his man muscles he'll be a beast. I watched McHale in high school. His footwork and quickness was amazing for a 6'11" kid. His post moves were fantastic. Holmgren has that same kind of footwork.
He had a couple moves to the rim in the championship game that were pretty jaw dropping.

I probably did. I miswrote. I meant Holloman. Sorry. That's on me. I own the mistake.
All good. It’s why I was laughing cause Chet can shoot. Holloman has a ways to go but I think he would be great on a good team. CDH lacked scorers this year. Put a lot on his shoulders.

Mc Hale was a lot stronger than Holmgren as a HS Senior. That Hibbing squad basically had two players - McHale and John Retica. Retica actually scored more points than McHale in HS. Their senior year, Hibbing finished 2nd at State in AA to Bloomington Jefferson.

For those wondering how the game has changed, the greatest 3pt shooter of his era was Larry Bird. He made over 600 3s and shot 37.6%.

Center Karl Anthony-Towns is going to surpass Bird for made 3s soon. And shoots a higher career percentage. From further away.

Mc Hale was a lot stronger than Holmgren as a HS Senior. That Hibbing squad basically had two players - McHale and John Retica. Retica actually scored more points than McHale in HS. Their senior year, Hibbing finished 2nd at State in AA to Bloomington Jefferson.
Mchale was outplayed by Jefferson big man Steve Lingenfelter in that game. By that fall he quickly established himself as unique talent in Gophers practices Much different player than Chet

I think he has better future potential playing CB on the football team.

Yeah, it's hard to get a kid to choose football though. There are more opportunities in basketball (and you can make money for longer).

I actually agree that I think Tre and Eli King are both better football players. But I think they'll both end up playing basketball.

As a basketball player, I think Holloman will be really successful. At worst, I think he'll be a more much more athletic Al Nolan. If he develops more of a shot, watch out.

Yeah, it's hard to get a kid to choose football though. There are more opportunities in basketball (and you can make money for longer).

I actually agree that I think Tre and Eli King are both better football players. But I think they'll both end up playing basketball.

As a basketball player, I think Holloman will be really successful. At worst, I think he'll be a more much more athletic Al Nolan. If he develops more of a shot, watch out.
I believe King had his name removed from 247 and similar sites for football. Doesn’t want to even explore the possibility. Maybe has changed but I don’t think so

Kids seem to like basketball more in many cases. I always felt Owen King could have been a starting Big Ten quarterback eventually.

Kids seem to like basketball more in many cases. I always felt Owen King could have been a starting Big Ten quarterback eventually.
As others have said more opportunities post-college. If you’re not going to the NFL your career is largely over. Basketball you can find a league to join. Might be at Lifetime or in a country you’ve never heard of but they exist

Who else is/are there in the family that stands out?
Nick Dufault (cousin?) was a senior at SMSU this year, and he was the kid who in HS hit the full court shot against Marshall in the 3rd OT in the game with all the buzzer beaters. His uncle Todd was the coach of that Waseca team. Their grandpa Butch is a legendary band director at Waseca and has a state marching band award named after him.

Holmgren fits the modern NBA. He isn’t going to be a banger. KG was rail thin and he was OK. Chet is a wing.
He isn't going to be a wing in the NBA unless they fail to add any weight on him. Maybe if he is good enough he can duck playing the 5 in the regular season and just do it in the Playoffs.

I couldn't recall the second guy on that team.I believe Retica got hurt before that championship game.
Gary Addington was the coach. His son was down at Zumbrota-Mazeppa. Not sure if his son is still there.

I couldn't recall the second guy on that team.I believe Retica got hurt before that championship game.
Gary Addington was the coach. His son was down at Zumbrota-Mazeppa. Not sure if his son is still there.
Not ZM, he was at Kenyon-Wanamingo. Left there quite awhile ago.

Covid strikes again. I always looked forward to the all tournament teams, seeing players awarded even if they lost.

Chets been with a strength coach and specialized diet for awhile. He will add weight at some point, but his body won’t let him. I listened to a podcast interview over a year ago about him talking about it.
Unless you're a football lineman, adding weight just to add weight is almost never a good idea. Your quickness, running speed, and jumping will suffer.

Your genetics are your genetics, and you can't cheat them (unless you cheat with PEDs).

Unless you're a football lineman, adding weight just to add weight is almost never a good idea. Your quickness, running speed, and jumping will suffer.

Your genetics are your genetics, and you can't cheat them (unless you cheat with PEDs).
The good thing about the NBA is that it's mostly isolation basketball and therefore Holmgren could avoid being thrown around like a rag doll. He'll never win an award for rebounding, but he can score and guard. He'll have to learn how to get through screens and he won't be able to reach over others to get the ball.

When A-Rod buys the Wolves, he can give Chet advice on how to add muscle mass. and, in the words of Dick Bremer, have "glowing urine."

Exactly, and that's why his frame is the way it is. He's only adding "good weight" that doesn't result in loss of the things you mentioned.

Top Bottom