All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Only if they transfer.

Brandon would not count against the scholarship limit as a super-senior, because he was with us in 2020-21.

If he decided to use his extra covid year to transfer to Iowa, say, and they gave him a scholarship, it would count against their limit.

In my opinion, this rule should be permanent, and apply to any student athlete who enters their last season of participation in the sixth or later year of their running clock (since they first enroll in college), IF they've completed an undergrad degree. That last part should be the carrot.
So your going from a fixed amount of scholarships accross all universities to one that's has both fixed and variable components. What your in affect doing is squeezing the total available scholarships for the just graduating class.

the extra year with then either have to come be accompanied by a limit to one's current school IMHO.

Theo is legit. He didn't play a ton with Dawson Garcia and another freshman stud who I can't remember. He would be a 10plus point and 6 plus boards a game starter for MN. Sounds like it won't matter anyway.

So your going from a fixed amount of scholarships accross all universities to one that's has both fixed and variable components. What your in affect doing is squeezing the total available scholarships for the just graduating class.

the extra year with then either have to come be accompanied by a limit to one's current school IMHO.
Sorry, I am not following your argument. Can you make it as a hypothetical example? Thank you!

Yep that's the connection. Still sucks he might opt to be a depth piece at Puke over coming home as a starter with a much larger role.
Minnesota doesn’t look like it’s going to be a lot of fun and joy next year, can’t blame him for not wanting to spend his last year with that.

I understand the assistant coach connection, but Duke of all places is pretty surprising. I guess they want someone to do all the dirty work and not take shots from their 5* players. I really hope they don't get Patrick Baldwin Jr

Theo had a hand injury his junior year (fixed it with surgery off-season) and a leg injury all senior year, so his stats don't really reflect his capabilities. If he were to come to Minnesota he would be an instant crowd-pleaser, a la Richard Coffey. But Marquette has been rough the last four years. He may just be looking for a deep tourney run.

Minnesota doesn’t look like it’s going to be a lot of fun and joy next year, can’t blame him for not wanting to spend his last year with that.
It's still early relax. I'm not gonna say were gonna be top half of big ten, but who knows right now. It's so early in process of making team up. To just say were gonna be terrible next year is someone who is just giving up! Not saying your wrong, but let's see where we are at in another month.

He'll probably start at Duke next to Paolo Banchero and 3 other scorers. Won't dominate the ball and do all the dirty work.
i doubt he starts over Mark Williams....Williams started to figure things out the last 1/2 of the season for them....

but cant blame the guy if he goes that route....he would certainly get some PT there

John would be a depth guy for Duke. Williams is going to be a monster and Paolo is 100% starting at the 4. But I get it, you have 1 year left, be cool to be in that atmosphere and a year with a coach like K would be fun and know you will win games and be on ESPN 30 games.

It's still early relax. I'm not gonna say were gonna be top half of big ten, but who knows right now. It's so early in process of making team up. To just say were gonna be terrible next year is someone who is just giving up! Not saying your wrong, but let's see where we are at in another month.

Agreed. I think people look at that posted early forecast of 14th in the league and think it's some sort of gospel. Minnesota isn't the only team with roster issues. Penn State is in as bad or worse shape than us. Wisconsin lost its entire starting lineup except for Davidson who appears to be coming back for an option year. Rutgers has five players in the portal. In addition, Harper probably goes pro and I doubt Geo Baker comes back for an option year. Northwestern lost a couple of significant players to the portal. They did pick up one transfer. Since they stunk last year, it's entirely possible that our new roster is better than their existing one. Iowa's losses (Garza, Bohannon, and Nunge) were very big.

Agreed. I think people look at that posted early forecast of 14th in the league and think it's some sort of gospel. Minnesota isn't the only team with roster issues. Penn State is in as bad or worse shape than us. Wisconsin lost its entire starting lineup except for Davidson who appears to be coming back for an option year. Rutgers has five players in the portal. In addition, Harper probably goes pro and I doubt Geo Baker comes back for an option year. Northwestern lost a couple of significant players to the portal. They did pick up one transfer. Since they stunk last year, it's entirely possible that our new roster is better than their existing one. Iowa's losses (Garza, Bohannon, and Nunge) were very big.
Add Weiskamp to Iowa's list. At least, he is testing the waters (which I realize he's done before and decided to return to Iowa).

That would be a big get....Interesting that Marcus said it's expected that his uncle is still going to be joining the Gophers staff. I think many on here had given up hope. Cashius entering the portal probably means there is movement on the assistant's job.
Whoever posted the Texas A&M message board, posters there were speculating that McN's contract isn't up until May and they're not going to annonuce it until then.

Penn State just reeled in two back

Top Bottom