All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I think he has committed perimeter players because of two things: 1. He found some he wanted; and 2. They were ready to commit. My guess is he has some big guys on the line as well, he's prioritized them, and is working to get the people he want. I really think the staff has a good idea of their needs based on how they want to play, are being purposeful in the number of years they will be here, etc.

Maybe it's just the PTSD of the past 8 years and roster construction, but give Ben and staff a chance to balance this out. They still have numerous slots left and plenty of time.

Gophs have what, three scholarships to give?

Gophs have what, three scholarships to give?
Isn’t technically any 1 year guy a freebie? As long as the U will pay.
If that all passes with NCAA we’d then have 12 total for the lower 3 clssses, I think.

is there a limit? I think Whalen has all 13 coming back plus three new ones coming in

Think the freebies only count if the player is staying. Like Brandon Johnson would be a freebie on the scholarship count. Theo would count.

Theo is a beast. That would be a huge get honestly and our starting center next year.
He's pretty limited offensively but he is a beast you can just put in the middle and defend the big guys of the big 10. Just can't expect much offense from him, which is fine.

Based on Theos stats I'm not overly impressed. Pretty good at FT and BLK and decent PTS but his rebounding is disappointing for his playing time, size and position. Still, he would be a good addition especially if he blocks out well, sets good screens etc.
GPMINFG%3P%FT%REBASTBLKSTLPFTOPTS

Isn’t technically any 1 year guy a freebie? As long as the U will pay.
If that all passes with NCAA we’d then have 12 total for the lower 3 clssses, I think.
Think the freebies only count if the player is staying. Like Brandon Johnson would be a freebie on the scholarship count. Theo would count.

Why would the team need more than 13 scholarships anyway? If everyone who is here now stays and all transfers and the new freshmen come, that's nine players. Four additional players would be enough. Even three more would be all right.

Based on Theos stats I'm not overly impressed. Pretty good at FT and BLK and decent PTS but his rebounding is disappointing for his playing time, size and position. Still, he would be a good addition especially if he blocks out well, sets good screens etc.

Theo's value is on the defensive end more than anything.

I hope we get him but... 5 boards is not great. I am feel like Sammy Freeman (for example) could put up these numbers given those minutes. That said, I realize that Theo is a good shot blocker and rim protection guy.

I hope we get him but... 5 boards is not great. I am feel like Sammy Freeman (for example) could put up these numbers given those minutes. That said, I realize that Theo is a good shot blocker and rim protection guy.

It's not unusual for big shot blockers to have lower than expected rebounding numbers. Going for the shot block all the time often doesn't leave the player in good rebounding position. Of course, that could be compensated for by playing someone like Ihnen or Johnson close by.

Granted, I only watched parts of 4 or 5 of his games on TV, but one of the things I seemed to notice was that his primary value was on the defensive end of the floor. Further, many of his contributions seemed to be things that don't really show up in any type of box score. Early work to prevent good post-ups against him. Boxing out to allow a teammate to get a rebound. Stepping in/up to prevent a penetration, ect.

Not sure what he would be like against Big Ten Competition, but I admit that when I saw his name in the portal, my first thought was that we should certainly contact him.

So I was thinking that as well. However, it occurred to me that the potential affect of that policy when applied NCAA wide appears that it would be robbing the incoming class of scholarships in favor of prople that have been around for 4 years already.

i think they may have to give some sort of rolling freebies for free years, until everyone involved moves through the system.

I guess it’s a large deductive logic problem.

So I was thinking that as well. However, it occurred to me that the potential affect of that policy when applied NCAA wide appears that it would be robbing the incoming class of scholarships in favor of prople that have been around for 4 years already.
Only if they transfer.

Brandon would not count against the scholarship limit as a super-senior, because he was with us in 2020-21.

If he decided to use his extra covid year to transfer to Iowa, say, and they gave him a scholarship, it would count against their limit.

In my opinion, this rule should be permanent, and apply to any student athlete who enters their last season of participation in the sixth or later year of their running clock (since they first enroll in college), IF they've completed an undergrad degree. That last part should be the carrot.

I've read that Theo John is definitely on the Gophers radar....and it got me thinking.....

Is there a possibility that his old high school teammate might enter the portal as well and join him in Maroon and Gold for a year?

I've read that Theo John is definitely on the Gophers radar....and it got me thinking.....

Is there a possibility that his old high school teammate might enter the portal as well and join him in Maroon and Gold for a year?
Who would that be?

It's not unusual for big shot blockers to have lower than expected rebounding numbers. Going for the shot block all the time often doesn't leave the player in good rebounding position. Of course, that could be compensated for by playing someone like Ihnen or Johnson close by.
While that is true to some extent, I think a lot more goes into it. Look at Liam's stats from MN last season:
2020-21

He averages a full block+ more per game and had more rebounds. I do think Theo would be a good addition to this team. Shooting 57% from the floor and 75% FT plus 74% from 3 means he takes high percentage shots and at least implies that he has a very high BB IQ. The rebounding numbers for him are a little lacking, but do think it would be a good signing for this team. Smart, efficient play with some toughness is needed on this team.

If Theo has any interest In coming here I would definitely take him. He is a big, experienced center. We likely wont be able to get an offensively talented center in the portal because every team in America is looking for that skillset. We need size in the front court!

While that is true to some extent, I think a lot more goes into it. Look at Liam's stats from MN last season:
2020-21

He averages a full block+ more per game and had more rebounds. I do think Theo would be a good addition to this team. Shooting 57% from the floor and 75% FT plus 74% from 3 means he takes high percentage shots and at least implies that he has a very high BB IQ. The rebounding numbers for him are a little lacking, but do think it would be a good signing for this team. Smart, efficient play with some toughness is needed on this team.

Yeah, I would be happy with Theo John coming here. I was just commenting on something you see reasonably often with aggressive shot blockers.

Top Bottom