All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I haven't convinced you, and you haven't convinced me. We can agree to disagree.

His uncle leaving does nothing for me. He doesn't deserve another waiver to avoid sitting out again. No degrees earned (that I'm aware of). Sorry

come on!!!

do you know when he is choosing?
He recently said "My decision will come down to three things,” he said. “Academically I need a program that offers my masters degree in person because I'm an international student, second I want to go to a program that has a history of winning and a culture of winning. I want to play on the biggest stage and go to march madness. Lastly a team that can help develop my perimeter skills even more. I feel like I took a big step this year, but I want a team that will allow me to grow in that aspect and see the vision I have for myself.”

He recently said "My decision will come down to three things,” he said. “Academically I need a program that offers my masters degree in person because I'm an international student, second I want to go to a program that has a history of winning and a culture of winning. I want to play on the biggest stage and go to march madness. Lastly a team that can help develop my perimeter skills even more. I feel like I took a big step this year, but I want a team that will allow me to grow in that aspect and see the vision I have for myself.”
Not loving our chances.

Nope. He sounds like he loves Garza.

Yup. Kinda sucks all we can offer is playing time. Is this a theme so far. Bigs not coming here because we don't have a history of developing them with current staff? but we are top 2 for him, so 50/50

Wow if we bring in that leading scorer as well as McNeilly's nephew that would be a game changer.
I posted some videos of Cashius and the A&T training in the "current roster" thread.

Yup. Kinda sucks all we can offer is playing time. Is this a theme so far. Bigs not coming here because we don't have a history of developing them with current staff? but we are top 2 for him, so 50/50
We can offer a worldwide ranking in business and econ of #10.... Iowa comes in somewhere between 101-150. They don't make the distinction for programs ranked that low.

6 of the top 10 players who were all Big Ten this year were big guys (4 of 5) first team selections. If Brandon Johnson and Isaiah Ihnen our our only two bigs on the team we're going to get murdered every game.

I saw what happened to the Big Ten in the tourney so you have a point there but I'm more concerned with survival mode in the conference.
You're not wrong. Quick question. How did Kofi & Illinois do in the dance? Garza & Iowa? Purdue & their twin terrors Williams & Eady? Hmmm, the Buckeyes & Liddel? Answer: not too damn good. Build outside in. Take your lumps during the big 10 season, but prepare yourself to excel versus the rest of the country playing new age basketball. Don't get me wrong. Big 10 hoops is compelling as hell, but it doesn't exactly position you for post season play when everything is different from the pace to the lineup compositions to the nature of what draws a whistle.

You're not wrong. Quick question. How did Kofi & Illinois do in the dance? Garza & Iowa? Purdue & their twin terrors Williams & Eady? Hmmm, the Buckeyes & Liddel? Answer: not too damn good. Build outside in. Take your lumps during the big 10 season, but prepare yourself to excel versus the rest of the country playing new age basketball. Don't get me wrong. Big 10 hoops is compelling as hell, but it doesn't exactly position you for post season play when everything is different from the pace to the lineup compositions to the nature of what draws a whistle.
Side note: In the near future, I think the Big 10 will be forced to evolve. Exhibit A: How does it benefit the big 10 to let guys like Carr & Kalschuer transfer out of the conference instead of getting the living hell beat out of them? It doesn't. The whistle / culture has to change to favor the offense a little bit. This "Tough Guy" culture isn't helpful to Big 10 revenues. Period.

Side note: In the near future, I think the Big 10 will be forced to evolve. Exhibit A: How does it benefit the big 10 to let guys like Carr & Kalschuer transfer out of the conference instead of getting the living hell beat out of them? It doesn't. The whistle / culture has to change to favor the offense a little bit. This "Tough Guy" culture isn't helpful to Big 10 revenues. Period.
Exhibit B: You look at Myles Johnson. Should be tailor-made for Big 10 play. Large. Physical. Even he knows, he would be far better off evolving his play by learning how to play in space and developing his finesse side of the game. Aloha NJ. Hello Cali..

Not loving our chances.
I definitely think things are looking better, but I still am not seeing being out of wednesday. I still feel like we have lost more than we have gained to this point. I am not concerned about not being able to fill the roster, but at this point I don't see this roster being better than 3 other Big Ten teams. Is BJ going to be able to out coach the other B1G coaches in year 1? That's a big call if you say yes.
I can't wait for the season. Some of you guys are the most pessimistic glass half empty fans I have ever seen. I guess 8 years of Pitino can do that to some people.

And yes....I'm calling they will be better than most people on here think they will be....I'm calling they won't be playing in Weakling Wednesday next season. I'm calling that I think they can make the tournament next year. This program is finally heading in the right direction.

I don't disagree with much of what you wrote, but Ohio St state was a small team that did well in the B1G. Liddel is only 6'7".

Yeah except to make the dance you have to compete in your conference. If you're building a team with 6'9 perimeter players as your bigs you won't win enough games to make it there.

I know the big ten stunk it up in the dance but we will be miles away from thinking about the dance if ihnen is our post player against guys like that.

Will Chet Suggs be coming to the Gophers for his college basketball career?

Exhibit B: You look at Myles Johnson. Should be tailor-made for Big 10 play. Large. Physical. Even he knows, he would be far better off evolving his play by learning how to play in space and developing his finesse side of the game. Aloha NJ. Hello Cali..
He is leaving for academics. And, many prefer the style of play you don’t. It has nothing to do with revenues since Big Ten is tops in attendance and revenue for basketball year after year.

He is leaving for academics. And, many prefer the style of play you don’t. It has nothing to do with revenues since Big Ten is tops in attendance and revenue for basketball year after year.

Well, there's another obvious factor. He's from Long Beach.

Apparently you don't embrace the concept of Occam's razor. Myles Johnson is from Long Beach CA. From watching the video of his parents congratulating him on senior day for finishing his engineering degree in four years, he appears to have a good relationship with his parents so maybe just coming back home to family and friends is the biggest motivation.

Maybe you should have looked that up instead of rambling on with abstract mumbo jumbo. Do you think that basketball players are just one dimensional creatures with no other concerns in life than style of basketball?

Apparently you don't embrace the concept of Occam's razor. Myles Johnson is from Long Beach CA. From watching the video of his parents congratulating him on senior day for finishing his engineering degree in four years, he appears to have a good relationship with his parents so maybe just coming back home to family and friends is the biggest motivation.

Maybe you should have looked that up instead of rambling on with abstract mumbo jumbo. Do you think that basketball players are just one dimensional creatures with no other concerns in life than style of basketball?

We have many posters who think all basketball players care about is basketball, all take easy classes. Simply not true and it discredits so many who actually love learning, always have and go to schools that do not have easy classes to inflate athletes GPA like UK or Louisville.

Top Bottom