All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

That's kind of a different example due to Indiana having one of the best prep schools in the country.

Yes, that's an interesting point. If they count boarding school kids as local, that's definitely misleading.

La Lumiere has really advanced to the heights of the prep basketball ranks in recent years. Prior to this period, their best known alumnus was Chief Justice John Roberts. Oak Hill Academy was the dominant prep for a long time but you don't hear much about them anymore as other preps have taken the limelight.

I'm not making the argument that the University of Washington is something to look up to...but I think think they are our closest analogue. They just had a couple really down years (5-21, 15-17) but I think we could reach their early Lorenzo Romar years.
  • Urban campus and similar size (46K enrollment) as the U of M (51K)
  • Similar academic reputation (#58 UNSWR) as the U of M(#66, let's please not start an argument about this folks...I'm in academics and it's true)
  • Remote/rural instate competitors Washington State in Pullman and Eastern Washington in Spokane area play the role of our Dakota schools although Wazzu is actually in the Pac-12 and recruits better.
  • Similar population (7.6 million to MN (5.6 million), largely white and educated but getting more diverse in the one major city
  • Gonzaga is the major wrench -- we don't have anything similar competition wise from a private school within a 4 hour drive. Marquette would be comparable a decade ago but not anymore. Hopefully St. Thomas never morphs into a competitor for our recruits.
State of Washington Basketball top 150 Recruits and Destinations, and Washington Signees
  • 5 star (#3 overall) Paolo Banchero going to Duke
  • 4 star (#53 overall) Kaden Perry going to Gonzaga
  • 4 star (#67 overall) Jackson Grant staying home at Washington
  • 4 star (#80 overall) Shane Nowell going to Arizona
  • Washington also signed unranked international Samuel Ariyibi and hometown transfer guy Terrell Brown Jr from Arizona
2020 (down year talent wise)
  • 4 star (#111 overall) Jabe Mullins going to St. Marys
  • 3 star (#135 overall) Tari Eason going to Cincinatti
  • Washington also signed hometown transfer guy Erik Stevenson from Wichita State
  • 5 star (#8 overall) Jaden McDaniels staying home at Washington
  • 4 star (#48 overall) Anton Watson going to Gonzaga
  • 4 star (#80 overall) Raequan Battle staying home at Washington
  • 4 star (#112 overall) Cole Bajema going to Michigan
  • Washington also signed 5 star #3 overall Isaiah Stewart from Indiana, and #315 overall from OR
  • 5 star (#28 overall) Kevin Porter Jr going to USC
  • 4 star (#83 overall) Ja'Raan Brooks going to USC
  • 3 star (#177 overall) Emmitt Matthews going to West Virginia
  • Washington signed 4 star #109 overall Jamal Bey from Nevada, and 3 stars ranked#174 (UT), #201 (CA), #244 (Brewster prep),#467 (WA)
If you keep going back, they lose the #2 overall recruit in 2017 Michael Porter to Missouri, but sign the #67 overall in their backyard Jaylen Nowell. A lot of parallels between us and them. Obviously they have not converted it into success recently and I don't follow them enough to understand why or what went wrong.

We don't need to sign the top guy every year. That's not realistic. But if we can get the top instate guy once every 3-4 years, sign 1-2 of the other top 200 guys along with a transfer and another player or two from elsewhere, and we get some solid coaching and development...I think we are gonna be fine.
Washington is the right example because it also has pro teams that largely carry the attention of the city. Interestingly enough Porter was a Washington commit until his dad got fired with Romar

Still concerned about our depth inside...another guard transfer?
Have to cast a fairly wide net. Plenty of open spots on the roster and I am sure they are actively looking for some big guys to play down low as well.

Can definitely tell they are focused on mostly 1-2 year guys in the transfer portal.

we need a true point guard on this roster badly....

but agreed....we still have lots of work to do inside....

Agree about the point guard but I'm getting a little concerned by all these one-year players. It would be nice to have a holdover point guard for the following year even if the staff does recruit a highly ranked freshman or two at that position.

Washington is the right example because it also has pro teams that largely carry the attention of the city. Interestingly enough Porter was a Washington commit until his dad got fired with Romar
Porter Sr. and Porter Jr. then both ended up at Mizzou.

Agree about the point guard but I'm getting a little concerned by all these one-year players. It would be nice to have a holdover point guard for the following year even if the staff does recruit a highly ranked freshman or two at that position.
In this world, if you need a PG after next year, you go out and get another one in the transfer market. I want the PG in 2022 to be Holliman anyway.

We'll get a big guy. Don't worry.

I also think Johnson will come back.

Boy oh boy. Gophers Basketball needs a big break to get the recruiting interest to sizzle. Maybe this unconventional coaching hire can turn the luck in the Gophers' favor.

Kyler Edwards who was rumored as a player of interest committed to Houston.

Boy oh boy. Gophers Basketball needs a big break to get the recruiting interest to sizzle. Maybe this unconventional coaching hire can turn the luck in the Gophers' favor.
Not that unconventional. A lot of assistant coaches hired at P6 jobs. He’s been an asst for many years. People just had it in their head that a mid-major head coach would be hired. No higher level of long-term success for prior head coaches compared to assistant coaches, as some have researched and shared.

With the Metro area, is once again embroiled in controversy, how many mothers want to see their sons move here?

Still concerned about our depth inside...another guard transfer?
Not a bit. Last I checked it is a guard dominant game. If you have to, play Jay Wright Style, spread them out, speed them up. Did you see what happened to Iowa against Oregon? Now, we may not have Oregon's athleticism, but the bigs from Iowa were compromised in the that game.

I agree. You don’t build sustainable culture with guys that will be gone in a year.

Not a bit. Last I checked it is a guard dominant game. If you have to, play Jay Wright Style, spread them out, speed them up. Did you see what happened to Iowa against Oregon? Now, we may not have Oregon's athleticism, but the bigs from Iowa were compromised in the that game.
6 of the top 10 players who were all Big Ten this year were big guys (4 of 5) first team selections. If Brandon Johnson and Isaiah Ihnen our our only two bigs on the team we're going to get murdered every game.

I saw what happened to the Big Ten in the tourney so you have a point there but I'm more concerned with survival mode in the conference.

Top Bottom