All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

He isn't a four-star. If Michigan offers Tschetter I'd be beyond shocked.
Does not matter if some service rates him as a 4 star. I can list dozens and dozens of guys that were ranked 2 and 3 star players , even unranked that became all conference and conference champions at the time they were offered. If a coach sees a kid that can help him win games , that fits what they do,who they are, they will offer. He will pick up several power 6 offers.

There are many styles of recruiting. Muss is relentless.

Relentless in a sense that he is always going and offering everyone. I do not know if they are all commitable offers? Do you have any insight to whether he is truly a first come first get scholly guy?

247 is having a free preview of their content today, so I assume it's ok to post this (not a member). Ryan James posted about Frankie Collins and how he hasn't responded to him (James) lately and that he's not mentioning the Gophers when talking to other sites about his recruitment. In the Fall, Ryan had previously said how much Frankie and his dad loved their visit to Minnesota and certainly seemed like we were in the drivers seat for him. I thought he was a really impressive prospect and plays a position of huge need (PG) going forward so that is ceratinly disappointing news.
I saw that too. Sounded like Jeter might have been one of the lead recruiters for him.

Relentless in a sense that he is always going and offering everyone. I do not know if they are all commitable offers? Do you have any insight to whether he is truly a first come first get scholly guy?
Not the slightest idea.

Does not matter if some service rates him as a 4 star. I can list dozens and dozens of guys that were ranked 2 and 3 star players , even unranked that became all conference and conference champions at the time they were offered. If a coach sees a kid that can help him win games , that fits what they do,who they are, they will offer. He will pick up several power 6 offers.
I'm not disputing that 2 and 3-star players can turn out to be good players. But statistically, a 3-star player is less likely to be a stud than a 4-star player. So the narrative that Tschetter is some highly-coveted 4-star recruit is laughable. He has one HM offer from Arkansas who has offered 41 other players - it probably isn't even committable.

If this kid wasn't from Minnesota we wouldn't be talking about him. Treyton Thompson is a much better prospect and plays the same position as Tschetter - it wouldn't even make sense for Pitino to extend an offer.

I'm not disputing that 2 and 3-star players can turn out to be good players. But statistically, a 3-star player is less likely to be a stud than a 4-star player. So the narrative that Tschetter is some highly-coveted 4-star recruit is laughable. He has one HM offer from Arkansas who has offered 41 other players - it probably isn't even committable.

If this kid wasn't from Minnesota we wouldn't be talking about him. Treyton Thompson is a much better prospect and plays the same position as Tschetter - it wouldn't even make sense for Pitino to extend an offer.

Well said. He is a hard worker from all accounts. Not big ten athleticism. Wish him success at his level.

I generally agree with this. If Tschetter was from anywhere else, nobody would be up in arms over his lack of recruitment. But because our beloved home state only has a handful of high-major prospects in 2021 with one already secured and one firmly in the 'pipe dream' category, the quota on locals must be met independent of fit or context.

Hard worker with a good skill set. Tschetter is not some 6’8-9 kid who posts up the opposing teams 6’3 center. He is not backing little players down shooting over them making shots or missing the shot getting his own miss and scoring because he is 6’8.

Scores at different levels which for a kid his size is great to see. It will be real interesting to see where the offers stand at the end of August. Real interesting.

Except Thompson will probably play the 5 and Tschetter would play the 4.

I generally agree with this. If Tschetter was from anywhere else, nobody would be up in arms over his lack of recruitment. But because our beloved home state only has a handful of high-major prospects in 2021 with one already secured and one firmly in the 'pipe dream' category, the quota on locals must be met independent of fit or context.

I'm fully content not offering if we happen to get a better player. I just really like the thought of having a great shooter at the 4. The more shooters you have on the floor at one time, the better spacing is and the harder it is for the defense. Regardless of where Tschetter is from, there aren't a lot of PFs who can shoot like him.

I'm fully content not offering if we happen to get a better player. I just really like the thought of having a great shooter at the 4. The more shooters you have on the floor at one time, the better spacing is and the harder it is for the defense. Regardless of where Tschetter is from, there aren't a lot of PFs who can shoot like him.
You thinking uw?

Hard worker with a good skill set. Tschetter is not some 6’8-9 kid who posts up the opposing teams 6’3 center. He is not backing little players down shooting over them making shots or missing the shot getting his own miss and scoring because he is 6’8.

Scores at different levels which for a kid his size is great to see. It will be real interesting to see where the offers stand at the end of August. Real interesting.

Tschetter might not dominate by posting up way smaller guys, but his game starts with his activity level and force on the glass - which is a lot easier when the guys you are going against are underclassmen or undersized. There's no way around that. The competition jump for him is larger than a guy from a big school or who has experience playing on a shoe circuit.

That doesn't mean he can't do it. Just something to factor in when considering him as a prospect.

His shooting ability is a plus. His activity level is something that - in theory - should allow him to be an asset to a program even if he isn't a starter or high-end piece. Does he have the upside to be more than a depth piece at a Big 10 level?

With the way the roster in constructed, I just have a hard time justifying him as a priority recruit. The team might already have too many bigs. If you have 13 available scholarships, you probably want seven or eight devoted to guys who can play 1-3 because you can play three or four at a time. The math just doesn't work for that many big guys - especially not ones that are more in the project/role player tier.

Actually, I would guess it is not unusual for him to go against 6'3" centers. Given that, he does play away from the basket a lot.

Tschetter might not dominate by posting up way smaller guys, but his game starts with his activity level and force on the glass - which is a lot easier when the guys you are going against are underclassmen or undersized. There's no way around that. The competition jump for him is larger than a guy from a big school or who has experience playing on a shoe circuit.

That doesn't mean he can't do it. Just something to factor in when considering him as a prospect.

His shooting ability is a plus. His activity level is something that - in theory - should allow him to be an asset to a program even if he isn't a starter or high-end piece. Does he have the upside to be more than a depth piece at a Big 10 level?

With the way the roster in constructed, I just have a hard time justifying him as a priority recruit. The team might already have too many bigs. If you have 13 available scholarships, you probably want seven or eight devoted to guys who can play 1-3 because you can play three or four at a time. The math just doesn't work for that many big guys - especially not ones that are more in the project/role player tier.
Exactly, we need to round out this class with a guard prospect. Tschetter is a nice player but having already secured a commitment from Thompson, gophers need to move on at this point.

This is 100% false. Treyton is definitely better than Will. I would put my money on Will over Treyton any day. I’ve watched both live multiple times.

Top Bottom