All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Honestly...my biggest concern with Tschetter is him leaving the state to play somewhere else like so many Minnesota kids do. He just picked up an offer from Richmond today. Richmond won 24 games last year...beat Wisconsin and Boston College and had no seniors on the Spiders team. They will be a top 20 team next year. They would have beat the Gophers this year and would next year too.
Look at Pitino's track record...he waits too long to offer instate kids like Tschetter. Example: Wisconsin Forward Nathan Reuvers from Lakeville North. Pitino waited way to long to offer him and he went to Wisconsin. Let's keep Will Tschetter in Minnesota!
That's hilarious. Richmond lost to every notable team they played except Wisconsin. Do you know who else beat Wisconsin? Us, and we should've had the season sweep on them as well. Let's not paint a picture of Richmond being a top 20 team when they were struggling to beat programs like Saint Francis and Old Dominion last year.

If you love Will Tschetter's game and think he is good enough for Pitino to extend an offer then that's fine. But Pitino should not be expected to offer kids simply because they're from Minnesota. I don't think Tschetter is good as Reuevers was and don't think he will get an offer from us.

That's hilarious. Richmond lost to every notable team they played except Wisconsin. Do you know who else beat Wisconsin? Us, and we should've had the season sweep on them as well. Let's not paint a picture of Richmond being a top 20 team when they were struggling to beat programs like Saint Francis and Old Dominion last year.

If you love Will Tschetter's game and think he is good enough for Pitino to extend an offer then that's fine. But Pitino should not be expected to offer kids simply because they're from Minnesota. I don't think Tschetter is good as Reuevers was and don't think he will get an offer from us.

Definitely not at Reuvers's level.

Article in the paper Will shot until he made 300 3s the other day, would imagine that is part of his workout. Mom was D2 national bb player of the year and dad played ndsu football, so good blood lines. Given that, as I've written before, just don't see translating to big ten. Jump from AA high school to big 10 is monumental. Baffling to me that others see it differently.
Good players are good players. It doesn't matter where they're from. You can't discriminate against a kid based on where he grows up. If he can play, he can play. If he can't, he can't.

Tschetter shoots better and is more mobile, so yeah, not on the same level.
Nate has already proven it at the high end of the Big 10. He had a impressive offer list . None of this means that Tschetter will not equal or surpass him but it is a big ask. Will you be disappointed if Pitino passes ?

Nate has already proven it at the high end of the Big 10. He had a impressive offer list . None of this means that Tschetter will not equal or surpass him but it is a big ask. Will you be disappointed if Pitino passes ?
What's your opinion Built?

Nate is a nice player, not a great one. Good shooting touch and shot blocker, but for 6-11 gets less than his share of boards. I don’t know what level Tschetter will reach, but his offer list will match Reuvers before long.....and we should be on it.

We arent getting Chet or Kendall, that i can promise you. So maybe we offer Tschetter, sounds like he would be happy to commit?

What's your opinion Built?
I have not done a eval but trust the staff as they have recruited well enough to win. On limited and and edited highlights he has tools but that is not enough for me to offer. I suspect the kid will earn his way into a power 6 spot.

Tschetter shoots better and is more mobile, so yeah, not on the same level.

Not more mobile. Shooting at AA high school is different than shooting in the big ten.

Am not in tune with the aau scene so was wondering about his level of competition there and his success? Does he go against the best aau teams? Anyone able to share info on aau competition and performance?

Last edited:

Good players are good players. It doesn't matter where they're from. You can't discriminate against a kid based on where he grows up. If he can play, he can play. If he can't, he can't.

My point was must consider the competition when looking at his stats and performance. But I agree with your post.

He doesn’t have Reuvers length and that’s a big deal. Like his offense skill set and should be a decent rebounder. On defense not sure what position he guards .

Just watched some film of Tschetter for the first time. Obviously looks good against that competition. I'd also be curious to hear how he's played on the AAU trail though that's tough right now with no games.

Reminds me so much of a Wisconsin player but I'd take him here if he's at that level for sure. Shot looks good. I always just think of Isaiah Dahlman when I think about kids coming from those small schools and the numbers they put up there and then going on to struggle at Big 10 level. I think Isaiah coulda been a decent player had he played elsewhere at a school that allowed him to have a more slowed down isolation style half-court offense. Michigan St. moves the ball so quickly and gets up and down the floor at a high rate. It was too bad to see Isaiah struggle like that. Noah proves the exact opposite point though as he really had a lot of success at Wofford.

Tryin' to think about some of other MN kids who have come from those lower high school classes and how they've fared at the higher levels or lower level D1.

Just watched some film of Tschetter for the first time. Obviously looks good against that competition. I'd also be curious to hear how he's played on the AAU trail though that's tough right now with no games.

Reminds me so much of a Wisconsin player but I'd take him here if he's at that level for sure. Shot looks good. I always just think of Isaiah Dahlman when I think about kids coming from those small schools and the numbers they put up there and then going on to struggle at Big 10 level. I think Isaiah coulda been a decent player had he played elsewhere at a school that allowed him to have a more slowed down isolation style half-court offense. Michigan St. moves the ball so quickly and gets up and down the floor at a high rate. It was too bad to see Isaiah struggle like that. Noah proves the exact opposite point though as he really had a lot of success at Wofford.

Tryin' to think about some of other MN kids who have come from those lower high school classes and how they've fared at the higher levels or lower level D1.

My question as well. Someone out there must have seen him aau. Give us a report.

Be difficult judging smaller school kids with no AAU likely this summer.With AAU it should be much easier to judge at least how they compare with athleticism than it was before AAU became widespread. Most of these small school kids have played against big city players a decent amount

Quite a few 4A teams.
Yeah I just had an easier time thinking of kids like Ahelegbe, Siyani Chambers, Wittman all coming from big schools here for recent kids. Then Wright too from Champlin. Plenty more that I didn't mention but all big school kids. Joey King and Reggie lynch from big schools too.

That is GREAT shooting form!! NOT "way too low". He lead the state of Minnesota in scoring, shot 60% from the field, 44.9% from 3 Point Range (67/149). No problems with Tschetter's shot.View attachment 8048

One screen grab from this angle reveals next to nothing about his shot mechanics. And depending on how good his form is or is not, shooting until you make 300 in a day could allow bad habits to form that show up when fatigue sets in.

His stats tell me a lot more than that screen grab, and they do look good.

Top Bottom