All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Nope. Just once I wish one of these kids would have the balls to say early on they’re not planning to come here
Even if he's still considering it?

I'm exhausted by the sour grapes/conspiracy theories so many whine about on here. Just because high-level local kids don't ultimately choose to stay home, it does not mean they weren't genuinely considering it. Your imaginations are much more vivid than mine if you think these kids are in their rooms at night twisting their mustaches and hatching schemes to ruin someone's day on Gopherhole. Maybe we don't ever end up his #1 choice, but hanging around a while at least gives us a chance.

I do wish we could win a few more of these recruiting battles so I understand the frustration, but I stop far short of inventing conspiratorial motive from a teenager.

Much easier for a very good shooters mechanics to be tweaked and still have a good shooter . Transforming a bad shooters mechanics and you’re not likely to make the player an outstanding shooter. There are exceptions of course. I think Teschetter will be a shot maker at the next level Not sure about offering but would much sooner have a kid like him signed than scrambling for the Greenlees of the world in May every year.

Much easier for a very good shooters mechanics to be tweaked and still have a good shooter . Transforming a bad shooters mechanics and you’re not likely to make the player an outstanding shooter. There are exceptions of course. I think Teschetter will be a shot maker at the next level Not sure about offering but would much sooner have a kid like him signed than scrambling for the Greenlees of the world in May every year.
Greenlee would've given us more than Michael Hurt did. And there are many similarities between Tschetter and Hurt.

Greenlee would've given us more than Michael Hurt did. And there are many similarities between Tschetter and Hurt.
Labeling him Michael Hurt to me is inaccurate at this point. They are white and 6-8. Don’t recall Michael dominating anyone in High School and Tschetter is a only a junior Might be a wait and see in deciding to offer. Lack of summer ball will make evaluations tough.

For those who want Tschetter, assuming nobody transfers (I know this is a massive assumption given the college hoops world we live in), we head into 2021 with Robbins (Sr.), Ihnen (Jr.), Omersa (Sr.), Mitchell (Soph), Curry (Sr. least likely given injury), Thompson and Tschetter.

Is that too many big guys? Six scholarships tied up into the PF/C spot seems like a poor allocation of available roster spots. I suppose the jam clears up a little after Robbins, Omersa and Curry all exit, but again, can't you get a guy like Tschetter in the following class.

Pitino has a hard enough time balancing the roster as it is. Tying up half the scholarships in big guys seems suboptimal.

Labeling him Michael Hurt to me is inaccurate at this point. They are white and 6-8. Don’t recall Michael dominating anyone in High School and Tschetter is a only a junior Might be a wait and see in deciding to offer. Lack of summer ball will make evaluations tough.

Hurt played in the Big 9, not the HVL. Hurt would have dominated the HVL. Huge difference in competition.

With that said I do believe Will is better than Hurt.

For those who want Tschetter, assuming nobody transfers (I know this is a massive assumption given the college hoops world we live in), we head into 2021 with Robbins (Sr.), Ihnen (Jr.), Omersa (Sr.), Mitchell (Soph), Curry (Sr. least likely given injury), Thompson and Tschetter.

Is that too many big guys? Six scholarships tied up into the PF/C spot seems like a poor allocation of available roster spots. I suppose the jam clears up a little after Robbins, Omersa and Curry all exit, but again, can't you get a guy like Tschetter in the following class.

Pitino has a hard enough time balancing the roster as it is. Tying up half the scholarships in big guys seems suboptimal.

Though Tschetter is a big, he is notably a floor stretching big.

Hurt averaged 20 points, 9 rebound, and 8 assists a game his senior year. Nearly a 20 pt triple double with a season high of 38 pts. He was also a finalist for Mr. Basketball but got beat out by Amir Coffey. Not sure what else you need to be “dominant”.

If you watch Hurt’s senior highlights he actually moves better than Tschetter does and has cleaner form on his shot. So yes, maybe we shouldn’t compare the two right now but in a year when Tschetter develops more.

Hurt averaged 20 points, 9 rebound, and 8 assists a game his senior year. Nearly a 20 pt triple double with a season high of 38 pts. He was also a finalist for Mr. Basketball but got beat out by Amir Coffey. Not sure what else you need to be “dominant”.

If you watch Hurt’s senior highlights he actually moves better than Tschetter does and has cleaner form on his shot. So yes, maybe we shouldn’t compare the two right now but in a year when Tschetter develops more.
. To be fair Hurt never developed at Minnesota and maybe Tschetter would. Not sure how great the Big Nine is as a conference. Didn’t notice the Hurts at the state tournament.

Last edited:

I think you could make the case that Tschetter is as much in the mold of Mike Daum at that age as Hurt. Saw Daum in AAU his junior year, similar size and skill set at that age and played on an AAU team of similar quality. Clearly Daum developed at a fantastic pace relative to Hurt.

I think the overall point here is it’s a borderline take at best. Hurt was the right take at the time based on family, AAU ties (ironically...) etc.

The question surrounding Pitino having such a volatile hit rate on recruits is the bigger challenge for me. There will always be 50/50 kids that you have to identify and subsequently develop. As has been stated before on this site, he’s not proven that as a strength in his tenure.

. Beat up on a fairly mediocre conference. Don’t recall how well he preformed at state tournament. Oh he never made it despite being dominate and having a top blue blood recruit with him. To be fair Hurt never developed at Minnesota and maybe Tschetter would.

Big 9 was solid when Hurt was there. Obviously not of the caliber of the Lake or South Suburban, but it was the best out-state conference. John Marshall lost the Lakeville North which is no shame as they were very good all those years and were always top 8 in state easily with multiple D1 kids and a phenomenal coach. Also so I'm clear on the argument, since Tschetter plays at a smaller school that makes him automatically not good enough to play in the B1G? That argument baffles me. The staff will have to make evals, but he's on a trajectory already to get a few HM offers.

Also so I'm clear on the argument, since Tschetter plays at a smaller school that makes him automatically not good enough to play in the B1G? That argument baffles me. The staff will have to make evals, but he's on a trajectory already to get a few HM offers.
[/QUOTE]

No my context iwas simply to the discussion comment of “Hurt didn’t dominate but Tschetter does” Just stating different level of competition. Not apples to apples. The fact that Tschetter plays in HVL is irrelevant to the likelihood of him succeeding. Thus my Daum analogy.

Tough part with Tschetter is in addition to playing lower level competition in HS he has also not played on sneaker circuit. I get staffs will have to make that eval, just less body of work relative to competition to eval. Doesn’t mean he can’t play at HM level. I think he’ll be a nice college player. He’s very skilled.

I do believe King for instance (similar competition) is in same camp.

tjgopher said:
Well, that's kind of disappointing. Just telling us that general recruiting is picking up on a highly-rated kid from Wisconsin within a Treyton Thomspon thread is a bit strange. I thought you maybe had something specific to Minnesota.
I meant for it to be in 2021 recruiting thread. Treyton recruiting news is finished. We do not want any news on that one.

Just a bump on this so everyone knows where the 2021 recruiting thread is.

Wow Arkansas found the small town kid who plays in a weak conference. Shocking.... been telling you dude can play.

Wow Arkansas found the small town kid who plays in a weak conference. Shocking.... been telling you dude can play.

Muss knows this is fertile territory. Does seem like they put a lot of offers out there.

Good point. I think though since Tschetter will be a senior it would be commitable. Should be interesting.

Yeah I'm still interested to see if we go for it. I really think it has a lot to do with space now. I don't see us offering many other guys that size or position. Everything I hear about him is positive and he truly seems like a gem

Arkansas after Mutaf and Tschetter. Trying to hog our recruits. We got Mutaf so have come out ahead in any case.

247 is having a free preview of their content today, so I assume it's ok to post this (not a member). Ryan James posted about Frankie Collins and how he hasn't responded to him (James) lately and that he's not mentioning the Gophers when talking to other sites about his recruitment. In the Fall, Ryan had previously said how much Frankie and his dad loved their visit to Minnesota and certainly seemed like we were in the drivers seat for him. I thought he was a really impressive prospect and plays a position of huge need (PG) going forward so that is ceratinly disappointing news.

247 is having a free preview of their content today, so I assume it's ok to post this (not a member). Ryan James posted about Frankie Collins and how he hasn't responded to him (James) lately and that he's not mentioning the Gophers when talking to other sites about his recruitment. In the Fall, Ryan had previously said how much Frankie and his dad loved their visit to Minnesota and certainly seemed like we were in the drivers seat for him. I thought he was a really impressive prospect and plays a position of huge need (PG) going forward so that is ceratinly disappointing news.
He was going to be a tough commit regardless but the official he took was encouraging at the time for sure

Top Bottom