All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

And yet if you know basketball well enough you can make an informed opinion just by seeing an edited highlight tape. The competition doesn't change a kids shooting form, handles, or athleticism.

It took me 30 seconds of Will Tschetter's most recent highlight tape to see he isn't a B1G caliber player as of right now. He's too slow and his shooting form is a disaster. Would be a mistake for Pitino to offer him but maybe he picks up some low D-1 offers?

If you know basketball well enough, you know highlight tapes are biased and essentially worthless.

If you know basketball well enough, you know highlight tapes are biased and essentially worthless.
Nope. Again, I've seen enough of Tschetter's highlight tapes to know he wouldn't thrive in the B1G. He isn't quick enough to blow by defenders and his release on his jump shot is way too low. It will get blocked by decent defenders.

What do you like about his game?

Nope. Again, I've seen enough of Tschetter's highlight tapes to know he wouldn't thrive in the B1G. He isn't quick enough to blow by defenders and his release on his jump shot is way too low. It will get blocked by decent defenders.

We can agree to disagree on highlight tapes being an acceptable form of evaluation.

I haven't seen him play live or seen any game film so I can't really say whether he's good enough or not. I know when guys who have seen him play and they think he'll be B1G level and I trust their evals. They mention, good motor, good skills, and a good shooter. He's a Jr at a small school in SE MN. I know Stewartville has a decent rep for athletics, but I highly doubt they have the best speed and strength program and that he will benefit from those at the D1 level. They see him as a developmental guy who is a contributor, but yes will never be the number 1 or 2 guy.

Last edited:

Highlight videos can be incredibly misleading for many reasons. You can get a sense for some things, but it's an absolutely brutal way to evaluate a players overall game and especially to try to determine whether someone is mid major or high major.

I haven't seen him play in person so I don't have a super strong opinion one way or the other, but I know Damian Johnson has said good things about him and he hopes that we offer. I trust his opinion.

Highlight videos can be incredibly misleading for many reasons. You can get a sense for some things, but it's an absolutely brutal way to evaluate a players overall game and especially to try to determine whether someone is mid major or high major.

I haven't seen him play in person so I don't have a super strong opinion one way or the other, but I know Damian Johnson has said good things about him and he hopes that we offer. I trust his opinion.

45% from 3 and 82% from the line this past season. Certainly respect for the DJ endorsement as well.

The zip codes in which said game occurs

With Thompson committed how many PF types can they realistically take in 2021, I know that scholarships always open up but can you plan on that happening now and assume you are going to have 4 scholarships for 2021 before the 2020 class is even filled.

The Mussleman interest should tell you something, he's got a top ten class in 2020, he's not looking at just anybody.

Last edited:

We can agree to disagree on highlight tapes being an acceptable form of evaluation.

I haven't seen him play live or seen any game film so I can't really say whether he's good enough or not. I know when guys who have seen him play and they think he'll be B1G level and I trust their evals. They mention, good motor, good skills, and a good shooter. He's a Jr at a small school in SW MN. I know Stewartville has a decent rep for athletics, but I highly doubt they have the best speed and strength program and that he will benefit from those at the D1 level. They see him as a developmental guy who is a contributor, but yes will never be the number 1 or 2 guy.
Southeast MN

With Thompson committed how many PF types can they realistically take in 2020, I know that scholarships always open up but can you plan on that happening now and assume you are going to have 4 scholarships for 2021 before the 2020 class is even filled.

The Mussleman interest should tell you something, he's got a top ten class in 2020, he's not looking at just anybody.

Thompson could play C.

If kids are good enough, position overlap shouldn't be a huge issue
Coaches are always looking at players that can play more than one position . The best teams play 7 or 8 guys big minutes at different positions that give them versatility to match and mismatch.

Coaches are always looking at players that can play more than one position . The best teams play 7 or 8 guys big minutes at different positions that give them versatility to match and mismatch.

And of that 7/8, you probably want 5/6 to be perimeter-oriented. Can conceivably play four guards at a time. You cannot play more than two bigs.

Does that hurt Tschetter from the MN perspective? Lots of scholarships tied up at the PF and C positions already

And of that 7/8, you probably want 5/6 to be perimeter-oriented. Can conceivably play four guards at a time. You cannot play more than two bigs.

Does that hurt Tschetter from the MN perspective? Lots of scholarships tied up at the PF and C positions already
Great question. No idea what either side is looking for here. Did he grow up dreaming of playing for the Gophers, that is always the first question because some do but now days that is often not the case. And as your asking, do the Gophers see him as a fit ?

That is GREAT shooting form!! NOT "way too low". He lead the state of Minnesota in scoring, shot 60% from the field, 44.9% from 3 Point Range (67/149). No problems with Tschetter's shot.Will Shooting Basketball.jpg

That is GREAT shooting form!! NOT "way too low". He lead the state of Minnesota in scoring, shot 60% from the field, 44.9% from 3 Point Range (67/149). No problems with Tschetter's shot.View attachment 8048
Just asking, what are things that would give you concerns ? There are seem that people have, our staff does.

Just make open shots. Think of how many open shots are missed. Most players struggle with a hand in their face.

Pick and pop with a big often the big has an open shot. Shot making is big. Being athletic is great but can you make shots. Think of how many open shots Gabe and Demir missed.

Great shooters even get wide open shots. IF you have an unselfish team and they share the ball you see great shooters get wide open shots all the time. Being a threat to make open shots creates great spacing. I roll the dice on a kid like Tschetter.

Just asking, what are things that would give you concerns ? There are seem that people have, our staff does.
Honestly...my biggest concern with Tschetter is him leaving the state to play somewhere else like so many Minnesota kids do. He just picked up an offer from Richmond today. Richmond won 24 games last year...beat Wisconsin and Boston College and had no seniors on the Spiders team. They will be a top 20 team next year. They would have beat the Gophers this year and would next year too.
Look at Pitino's track record...he waits too long to offer instate kids like Tschetter. Example: Wisconsin Forward Nathan Reuvers from Lakeville North. Pitino waited way to long to offer him and he went to Wisconsin. Let's keep Will Tschetter in Minnesota!

Just make open shots. Think of how many open shots are missed. Most players struggle with a hand in their face.

Pick and pop with a big often the big has an open shot. Shot making is big. Being athletic is great but can you make shots. Think of how many open shots Gabe and Demir missed.

Great shooters even get wide open shots. IF you have an unselfish team and they share the ball you see great shooters get wide open shots all the time. Being a threat to make open shots creates great spacing. I roll the dice on a kid like Tschetter.
Yup, I know first hand...you can hold teams to record lows. But if you can't score...you're still gonna lose.
Richard needs to focus recruiting much more on shooters than he does, Ihnen's a shooter. There is a mentality that goes with a shooter. A swagger...Gabe can/could maybe will again but he doesn't have that shooters mentality. Turkey kid has the swagger.
Hope to see Tschetter this winter.
More than struggle...overwhelming vast majority cannot make shots with a hand in their face. Thats why you chart uncontested shots. Minimize those defensively....increases your chance to win or be in it. Offensively those are not good shots unless you've proven you are a Kobe, Michael type player,
I agree Roland...shooting covers up a lot of deficiencies. Look at Purdue...that guy couldn't do anything else but his circus threes all found net and we lost.

Why not offer him? They should offer every decent MN player to start getting the good ones to stay home. We end up with 3 stars like Greelee, why not offer a Masen Madsen, Kendall Blue, Tschetter, Eli King...

Why not offer him? They should offer every decent MN player to start getting the good ones to stay home. We end up with 3 stars like Greelee, why not offer a Masen Madsen, Kendall Blue, Tschetter, Eli King...
Offer them all.Offer them early. There Is no better way to build rapport, then to say..we want you.
they can’t sign until November...build some chemistry and figure out if you’re right for each other.

Yup, I know first hand...you can hold teams to record lows. But if you can't score...you're still gonna lose.
Richard needs to focus recruiting much more on shooters than he does, Ihnen's a shooter. There is a mentality that goes with a shooter. A swagger...Gabe can/could maybe will again but he doesn't have that shooters mentality. Turkey kid has the swagger.
Hope to see Tschetter this winter.
More than struggle...overwhelming vast majority cannot make shots with a hand in their face. Thats why you chart uncontested shots. Minimize those defensively....increases your chance to win or be in it. Offensively those are not good shots unless you've proven you are a Kobe, Michael type player,
I agree Roland...shooting covers up a lot of deficiencies. Look at Purdue...that guy couldn't do anything else but his circus threes all found net and we lost.
Everyone wants great shooters, they are hard to find. Hell, a year after UVA lost those great shooters early, but after a national title, they were one of the worst power 6 shooting teams in the country but went 24-7 with 15 ACC victories because of a lock down defense. If we played defense even top 20, we win 8-9 more games. You can not control your players making shots but you can have a defense that shows every game.

Timing issue. Pretty sure we ended up with Greenlee because Isaiah Washington transferred in spring of 2019 and we needed to find a replacement backup ball handler late in the game with not a lot to choose from. We’re still early in the 2021 recruiting cycle with 1(?) scholarship available and a quality big man already committed, which doesn’t seem like the time to take a flyer on a player who is maybe just starting to attract a bit of high major interest. If Isaiah Ihnen unexpectedly transfers in April of 2021 and Tschetter is still available at that time, then yeah you could probably do worse with that open scholarship. That’s basically how we got Greenlee.

What do you guys make of this prediction I found on Bleacher Report:

Latest Predictions For Top Prospects

Chet Holmgren, C, Minnehaha Academy (Minneapolis, MN)

Holmgren told 247Sports' Evan Daniels that he took official visits to Gonzaga and Ohio State and made an unofficial trip to Georgetown before travel restrictions were put in place.

A handful of other programs have met with the 7-footer from Minnesota in video conferences.

Minnesota faces a tough task to keep him in state because of how much interest he has received from elsewhere. Gonzaga, North Carolina and Ohio State are among the schools bidding for Holmgren that have had more success recently than the Golden Gophers.

However, Richard Pitino has shown the ability to keep a premier big man in state and develop him into a potential NBA draft pick. Pitino landed Daniel Oturu as a 4-star prospect in the class of 2018, and he turned into one of the most menacing paint players in Division I.

Holmgren is on a different level than Oturu was, and he would be the highest-ranked prospect landed in the Pitino era. The No. 2 prospect revealed the Golden Gophers are one of six programs that have been chasing him heavily lately.

It is going to take a tremendous effort by Pitino and his staff to fend off some of the best recruiters in the business, but they can win over Holmgren with the allure of achieving success in his home state.

Prediction: Holmgren remains home with Minnesota.

Honestly...my biggest concern with Tschetter is him leaving the state to play somewhere else like so many Minnesota kids do. He just picked up an offer from Richmond today. Richmond won 24 games last year...beat Wisconsin and Boston College and had no seniors on the Spiders team. They will be a top 20 team next year. They would have beat the Gophers this year and would next year too.
Look at Pitino's track record...he waits too long to offer instate kids like Tschetter. Example: Wisconsin Forward Nathan Reuvers from Lakeville North. Pitino waited way to long to offer him and he went to Wisconsin. Let's keep Will Tschetter in Minnesota!

Article in the paper Will shot until he made 300 3s the other day, would imagine that is part of his workout. Mom was D2 national bb player of the year and dad played ndsu football, so good blood lines. Given that, as I've written before, just don't see translating to big ten. Jump from AA high school to big 10 is monumental. Baffling to me that others see it differently.

Top Bottom