All Things 2020 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

That game sucked. Was it my imagination, or did that team have no energy last night? Cruz and Sano are awful right now, and they both need to pull their head out of their ass. I knew exactly how they were going to pitch Sano, but somehow he didn't. Morneau said it out loud before one key at-bat: "He'll start him off with a first-pitch slider here." Which he did, and which Sano guessed wrong and swung and missed at. It was actually comical.

If Buxton and Donaldson have to miss time, I don't think it matters who the Twins play in the 1st round.

They will have to get really good pitching to advance. I, personally, would go with Maeda and Pineda as the top two starters. I do not trust Berrios in a big game. If Odo was healthy, I would start him over Berrios, but he may not be available for the first round.

Sucks to lose both Buxton and Donaldson. Buxton will probably be back Tuesday. I'm doubtful on Donaldson.

The Twins have three ways to win the division now. Win outright, finish in a 3-way tie or a tie with Cleveland. A Cleveland-White Sox tie goes to Cleveland. A Twins-White Sox tie goes to the Sox.

If Buxton and Donaldson have to miss time, I don't think it matters who the Twins play in the 1st round.

They will have to get really good pitching to advance. I, personally, would go with Maeda and Pineda as the top two starters. I do not trust Berrios in a big game. If Odo was healthy, I would start him over Berrios, but he may not be available for the first round.
Ideally, I would start Maeda game 1 and then decide game 2 based on if we won or not. If we won, I'd pitch Berrios. If we lost, Pineda. Berrios tries to hard under pressure. Unfortunately, they don't have that luxury this time, so Berrios it is.

Looking good for top seed in our division . If we can split the next two games, the only way we dont win division is if sox go 2-0 and indians go 1-1 or 0-2.

Wow. So over half the scenarios have us playing a division foe!? Probably won't matter.....we'll find a way to lose and get the Yankees.

And honestly....I'd rather not play the Indians. I became a bit of an Indians fan this past week when they swept the White Sox and gave us a free shot at the division.

Looking good for top seed in our division . If we can split the next two games, the only way we dont win division is if sox go 2-0 and indians go 1-1 or 0-2.
Indians screwed us by losing to the Pirates. Now we have to win or the Sox have to lose.

Wow. So over half the scenarios have us playing a division foe!? Probably won't matter.....we'll find a way to lose and get the Yankees.

And honestly....I'd rather not play the Indians. I became a bit of an Indians fan this past week when they swept the White Sox and gave us a free shot at the division.
Oakland screwed us out of a chance to get the #3 seed and play Houston by losing twice to Seattle today. The only way that happens now is if the Twins and White Sox both lose tomorrow while Oakland wins. So it's either the Yankees, Indians or White Sox. None will be easy, but I'd prefer the White Sox. I don't want to face Bieber and Civale.

Oakland screwed us out of a chance to get the #3 seed and play Houston by losing twice to Seattle today. The only way that happens now is if the Twins and White Sox both lose tomorrow while Oakland wins. So it's either the Yankees, Indians or White Sox. None will be easy, but I'd prefer the White Sox. I don't want to face Bieber and Civale.

I'm hoping for the White Sox.

Not a coincidence they sat Sano and the offense got going. I don't even start him in play-offs at this point. Gonzalez is better in the field and at the plate. He can PH and try to hit a 900 foot HR.

Indians screwed us by losing to the Pirates. Now we have to win or the Sox have to lose.

Yankees are healthy now with 3 good starters. Dont want to play them.

Not a coincidence they sat Sano and the offense got going. I don't even start him in play-offs at this point. Gonzalez is better in the field and at the plate. He can PH and try to hit a 900 foot HR.
Marwin has been worse than Sano at the plate this year. Sano should absolutely start in the playoffs. He just needs to be moved down in the lineup.

Kepler
Arraez
Donaldson
Cruz
Rosario
Buxton
Polanco
Sano
Garver/Jeffers

I'd go with something like this for game one if Donaldson and Buxton can play.

Marwin has been worse than Sano at the plate this year. Sano should absolutely start in the playoffs. He just needs to be moved down in the lineup.

Kepler
Arraez
Donaldson
Cruz
Rosario
Buxton
Polanco
Sano
Garver/Jeffers

I'd go with something like this for game one if Donaldson and Buxton can play.
Overall, Sano has been better than Gonzalez, because Sano was red hot for 3 weeks in August. Lately? No. The last 15 games, Sano is hitting .107/.153/.321 with 26 strike outs in 58 AB's. Sano is totally lost right now, and there isn't time for him to find it. Jeffers should also start over Garver. He's better defensively and at worst a wash at the plate.

Overall, Sano has been better than Gonzalez, because Sano was red hot for 3 weeks in August. Lately? No. The last 15 games, Sano is hitting .107/.153/.321 with 26 strike outs in 58 AB's. Sano is totally lost right now, and there isn't time for him to find it. Jeffers should also start over Garver. He's better defensively and at worst a wash at the plate.
Marwin over the same period .188/.231/.354

So he's been marginally better but not by much. I agree with you on Jeffers.

I’m pulling to play the cheaters and their sub.500 record. If I had to choose between playing the Sox and Tribe, I’d take the Indians. The Twins seemed to play them better this year. The advantage of playing the Sox is they are so young and few have playoff experience.

Someone on Twitter brought up a good point earlier today. Each playoff series will be straight through with no days off. There will be a day or two off in between each series. If Odo is healthy, I would think that helps the Twins as they would have five good or solid starters. Not every team is in that situation.

Well it looks like the White Sox are going to lose pending a Cubs melt down. The A's are tied at two in the 7th. Twins are up 2-1 in the 7th. Rooting for the Twins to choke this one. Possibility to get the Astros still alive.

Reds tied up the game....and the A's took a 5-2 lead.

Throw the game, Twins!

Last edited:

Well it looks like the White Sox are going to lose pending a Cubs melt down. The A's are tied at two in the 7th. Twins are up 2-1 in the 7th. Rooting for the Twins to choke this one. Possibility to get the Astros still alive.
The Cubs are doing their best to blow it.

One downside to not playing the Yankees, we'll probably get put at noon or 3 PM and not prime time. Though Rays-Blue Jays and A's-White Sox aren't barn burners either.

Honestly though, this is another example of how stupid teams are ranked for the playoffs in many leagues IMO. Been complaining about this in NFL forever. Houston getting in automatically because they finished 2nd in their division is fine but they shouldn’t automatically get a top 6 seed. They shouldn’t be ranked ahead of Chicago. Just like in the NFL where an 8-8 division winner can be hosting a 12-4 team in the first round.

Top Bottom