All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I think recruiting class next season will be bigger than the actual season, you can only sell the up and coming angle for so long before your results start to actually matter. He has to land these big time recruits next year esp with the talent we are losing next year, there are no excuses, next years class will likely shape what direction Pitino's career goes as a gophers head coach. Luckily for the gophers, There are a lot of good players in play for us in 2015, we just need to seal the deal.

Same with the fans. Selling the up and coming works fine this year, Next year and beyond, it's results.

I think recruiting class next season will be bigger than the actual season, you can only sell the up and coming angle for so long before your results start to actually matter. He has to land these big time recruits next year esp with the talent we are losing next year, there are no excuses, next years class will likely shape what direction Pitino's career goes as a gophers head coach. Luckily for the gophers, There are a lot of good players in play for us in 2015, we just need to seal the deal.

No he doesn't you just think he does. Then again, I am assuming he needs to get big time recruits that you consider big time, not what he considers big time.

He simply needs to get good players for his system. If he gets big name players, then that is great. If he doesn't, oh well. All that matters is if he wins. If he wins he will definitely get the big name players eventually. It is absurd that you say he must get them by next year or he will be a failure.

I would hate to have grown up in the hyperbolic, instant gratification era like you.

Patients is a virtue. Some here lack it entirely.

P.S. I would rather have him make the Sweet Sixteen next year then get the recruiting class that you clamor about. Although, I would be happy if he did both.

No he doesn't you just think he does. Then again, I am assuming he needs to get big time recruits that you consider big time, not what he considers big time.

He simply needs to get good players for his system. If he gets big name players, then that is great. If he doesn't, oh well. All that matters is if he wins. If he wins he will definitely get the big name players eventually. It is absurd that you say he must get them by next year or he will be a failure.

I would hate to have grown up in the hyperbolic, instant gratification era like you.

P.S. I would rather have him make the Sweet Sixteen next year then get the recruiting class that you clamor about. Although, I would be happy if he did both.

so if he misses out on his recruits we are going to be just fine after losing our best 4 players after next year? I'm not saying he needs to get the top recruit in the class, I'm saying he needs to land the guys he is going after the hardest, jarvis, alex, etc who aren't exactly "big time" on the national scale. Yes the ratings of the players won't be the final factor on how he does, but this upcoming recruiting class will be vital for him, no matter who it is, he will be relying on these players for this most important part of his coaching career here in Minnesota, so yes, he needs to get his guys, and they need to pane out.

so if he misses out on his recruits we are going to be just fine after losing our best 4 players after next year? I'm not saying he needs to get the top recruit in the class, I'm saying he needs to land the guys he is going after the hardest, jarvis, alex, etc who aren't exactly "big time" on the national scale. Yes the ratings of the players won't be the final factor on how he does, but this upcoming recruiting class will be vital for him, no matter who it is, he will be relying on these players for this most important part of his coaching career here in Minnesota, so yes, he needs to get his guys, and they need to pane out.

Pane out? The glass is half full??

FWIW Pitino himself has made his entire first four months on the job talking about how its all about recruiting and how he has to get big time recruits on campus to compete in the B1G 10. Anytime he's been questioned about his style not fitting the B1G he has resorted to the fact that its about getting the players not so much the system.

I agree he doesn't need to get 4 90+ rated players, but he certainly needs to land guys he wants, because no one is listening to "i need the right players" in this market, 3 years into a coaches tenure.

So because he thinks the program will need an influx of talent to take a step forward after losing 4 major contributors, he's impatient? Needs instant gratification?

Come on. Every generation has it's short comings... get off your high horse. And learn to spell next time you decide to talk down at people.

The best available wing -- Kobie Eubanks -- is off the board.

Eubanks pledges to Baylor (Posted Mar 18, 2014)
"Eubanks had a number of high majors schools involved with his recruitment. Pittsburgh had him on campus for an official visit. Florida State, Minnesota and others were also involved. "
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1385519.html

Next...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jackson Davis has narrowed his list to Alabama, Arizona State, Butler, Columbia, Creighton, and Vanderbilt. - per his mom, Ginger Davis</p>— Steve Jones (@SteveJones_CJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/SteveJones_CJ/statuses/446318707929649153">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Next...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jackson Davis has narrowed his list to Alabama, Arizona State, Butler, Columbia, Creighton, and Vanderbilt. - per his mom, Ginger Davis</p>— Steve Jones (@SteveJones_CJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/SteveJones_CJ/statuses/446318707929649153">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Well if Ginger says so...

Next...

Go Gophers!!

Remember, this is the kid who hasn't talked to a single coach...his parents have done the screening to get him to this point.

was it a fateful trip, a three hour tour?

I used to recite that theme song to my boys as a bedtime story. And then I'd make up some different crap at the end to give them a happy ending [yes, that was intended].

A three hour tour (dramatic pause) A. Three. Hour. Tour.

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,
The skipper brave and sure.
Five passengers set sail that day
For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With Gilligan
The Skipper too,
The millionaire and his wife,
The movie star
The professor and Mary Ann,
Here on Gilligans Isle.

So this is the talel of the castways,
They're here for a long, long time,
They'll have to make the best of things,
It's an uphill climb.

The first mate and the Skipper too,
Will do their very best,
To make the others comfortable,
In the tropic island nest.

No phone, no lights no motor cars,
Not a single luxury,
Like Robinson Crusoe,
As primative as can be.

So join us here each week my freinds,
You're sure to get a smile,
From seven stranded castways,
Here on "Gilligan's Isle."

Are there any post(s) in this thread or another that I can be directed to that has a consolidated (and up-to-date) list of what 2014 and 2015 recruits the U currently has made offers to? Thanks in advance!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN">@GoodmanESPN</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> have offered Tenn. St. transfer 6-8 forward MJ Rhett. Told Temple transfer Anthony Lee will aim higher than MN.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/446411460399628288">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

As far as I can tell we never offered Jackson Davis so I'm going to assume he wasn't much of a priority

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN">@GoodmanESPN</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> have offered Tenn. St. transfer 6-8 forward MJ Rhett. Told Temple transfer Anthony Lee will aim higher than MN.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/446411460399628288">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Winnipeg or Saskatoon?

As far as I can tell we never offered Jackson Davis so I'm going to assume he wasn't much of a priority

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I wondered how much interest there was when his name was mentioned. He just didn't seem like a great fit as I wouldn't think Pitino would want to bring in 2 freshmen PFs this year especially with Illikanen being a top target in the 2015 class. I think if we add a PF it almost certainly will be of the graduate transfer variety.

Just saw on Twitter than Carlos Morris's teammate Cinmeon Bowers decommited from Florida State. Wouldn't be a bad person to go after

Hell, let's just get Torian Graham as well. I'd take a class of Martin, Mason, Piper, Morris, Bowers, and Graham! POLLYANNA!

Top Bottom