All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

You guys are nuts!!! Macura is an absolute stud and you know it!!! Definitely part of the big 4. Might have took the Mr. Basketball award from Tyus tonight. They comparison to other MN white players is laughable. But if you want to compare him to another white player he remind me of a shorter version of Gordan Heyward. Bottom line, if JP would've signed with the Gophers he'd be our #1 recruit. Tubby sold him short and event though Pitino offered him I don't think Macura felt wanted. JP going to Xavier over the Gophers is far worse then the decisions made my Tyus or Reid. Really big miss for the Gophers sorry to say.

Naw, I think he's the next Steve Esselink.

JP never wanted to go to a big state school. People need to get over this and move on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JP never wanted to go to a big state school. People need to get over this and move on.

There are other reasons people don't know about. Rest assured, he didn't reject the program. The school just wasn't the right fit for him.

JP is a stud a huge miss for the gophers... yes he is a Gordan Hewward type.. He will have a great career at Xavier. He can score from anywhere of the dribble.. handles the ball very well. He can play the 2 or 3. Oh well we just can't have anymore misses going forward.

You guys are nuts!!! Macura is an absolute stud and you know it!!! Definitely part of the big 4. Might have took the Mr. Basketball award from Tyus tonight. They comparison to other MN white players is laughable. But if you want to compare him to another white player he remind me of a shorter version of Gordan Heyward. Bottom line, if JP would've signed with the Gophers he'd be our #1 recruit. Tubby sold him short and event though Pitino offered him I don't think Macura felt wanted. JP going to Xavier over the Gophers is far worse then the decisions made my Tyus or Reid. Really big miss for the Gophers sorry to say.

Pretty sure he wasn't receiving really any high major interest until April or May after Tubby was fired, so blaming Tubby is kinda stupid. I don't think even Xavier had offered until after Tubby was gone.

Pretty sure he wasn't receiving really any high major interest until April or May after Tubby was fired, so blaming Tubby is kinda stupid. I don't think even Xavier had offered until after Tubby was gone.

Wisconsin and Nebraska had interest in early 2013....prior to Tubby's firing.

Edit: Also....Pitino may have been a little slow to offer, but he was on Macura from the beginning.

I think it is fair to give blame to Tubby for not showing interest to JP. Macura was a local kid who showed a bunch of talent but possibly not enough to play for a high major school. Tubby's crew should have at least shown interest and built a relationship with him. It is fair to not blame Tubby for not offering, but I believe he should have had at least some sort of relationship with him.

Can't you excuse any recruit by saying something like that? blah blah didn't want to leave home, blah blah only wanted to play in warm climate, etc. These are all things coaches can't change about their schools, but part of recruiting is convincing a player he should reconsider. You'd be excusing every recruit we missed on if went of the premise that a player chose another school because he had a certain preference. Oh and btw, he didn't not pick xavier because they are a small school, he picked them because he has family in ohio, I also believe both his parents are from there.

Also I can't see how anyone can blame tubby for JP, JP didn't blow up until AAU ball after tubby was fired, Pitino had his change on the kid, and likely would have landed him if he had offered right away instead of holding back hoping he could land some stud top 100 kid from out of state. And again, he went to xavier, who got on him after we did. It is what it is, we can't use tubby as a scapegoat for everything, all we can do is move on from it and hope the staff learns from it.

Aside from the home state school, he was only seriously considering smaller schools like Butler, Xavier, etc.

I'd rather have Piper

Anyone known to be the Pied Piper leading him to MN? (Sorry if that obvious pun alreadt employed). That is, anyone with current info on his decision timing?

Gopher Hole: No one has committed to Minnesota yet because of the new coaching staff and players wanting to make visits. What would it mean to you if you decided to be the first player to commit to Minnesota?

J.P. Macura: I think that it would mean a lot. I think that it would mean that I was the first one to trust their coaching staff. That would mean a lot of them, too.

Link from 8/21/13

Based on what???

It is hard to compare the two. Completely different styles. Sounds like his timetable to sign is after his season is over. Rainier Beach is playing in the national tournament. Watch and judge for yourself.

Gopher Hole: No one has committed to Minnesota yet because of the new coaching staff and players wanting to make visits. What would it mean to you if you decided to be the first player to commit to Minnesota?

J.P. Macura: I think that it would mean a lot. I think that it would mean that I was the first one to trust their coaching staff. That would mean a lot of them, too.

Link from 8/21/13

This quote meant nothing the day he said it and it means nothing now. How was he supposed to answer that question? "It would mean a lot" would be the same response he would have given to any number of schools, if asked.

this has to be good news

Djuan Anthony Piper ‏@Youngyoson3 22h
I need a move

A move to MINNESOTA perhaps?

this has to be good news

Djuan Anthony Piper ‏@Youngyoson3 22h
I need a move

A move to MINNESOTA perhaps?

Sure sounds like good news for us. I'm trying to think about how that tweet could mean something other than moving away. Technically, it could mean out of his hometown......which could be to a school like Washington. However, in the context of his recruitment, the swirling rumors that he is waiting until after the season to announce his decision due to not wanting to upset the locals about not choosing the huskies, and the recent predictions of Piper to Minnesota, this tweet points in our favor.

He would be a major addition to this class.

On a related note......Husky and Cougar fans must be cursing the Pitino name. Losing five-star, top-25 SG Shaqquan Aaron to Rick/Louisville is understandable. Losing the next two best prospects in the state, Martin and Piper, to Rich/Minnesota would be a kick in the nuts. Almost feel bad seeing as how top in-state players have shunned us recently. I've also, for no particular reason, have always really liked Washington as one of my favorite teams after the Gophers. Probably because they've been a fairly exciting, uptempo team in both football and basketball which highlighting their skill players......but also potentially because their symbol greatly resembles an upside down Gophers "M".

Anyone have a list of some graduating players that may be immediately eligible? We could use a Petteway or Kane in this class.

Anyone have a list of some graduating players that may be immediately eligible? We could use a Petteway or Kane in this class.

Wait a few weeks. Names will start to surface after the tournaments. Most of these players have not made their intentions known yet. You will find that most of the players that have already decided to transfer, have to sit out a year.

Wait a few weeks. Names will start to surface after the tournaments. Most of these players have not made their intentions known yet. You will find that most of the players that have already decided to transfer, have to sit out a year.

I'm fine with getting somebody who has to sit a year.. assuming they are experienced and can bring it.. It will be nice to get someone with high major experience to supplement the 2015 class.

Lots of options to augment the roster... hopefully Piper is the first shoe to drop

Top Bottom