All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

I'm fine with getting somebody who has to sit a year.. assuming they are experienced and can bring it.. It will be nice to get someone with high major experience to supplement the 2015 class.

Lots of options to augment the roster... hopefully Piper is the first shoe to drop

For Pitino to have long term success here, it is essential for them to make the dance next year. The '14 class so far, along with the guys we are recruiting will increase the rotational depth, and has potential to have impact players in a year or two, but there is no immediate 30+ minute producer. Morris should be able to replace Austin, which did not have the impact most expected this year.
This team needs to find an immediate transfer that is capable of being in our top three players. I have a good feeling we will end up with that type of player

For Pitino to have long term success here, it is essential for them to make the dance next year. The '14 class so far, along with the guys we are recruiting will increase the rotational depth, and has potential to have impact players in a year or two, but there is no immediate 30+ minute producer. Morris should be able to replace Austin, which did not have the impact most expected this year.
This team needs to find an immediate transfer that is capable of being in our top three players. I have a good feeling we will end up with that type of player

I agree Coach P. can not afford to go 0-2, then replace Mathieu, Dre, EE, and Not So Huge Mo in 2015/16. Also agree we need a 3rd weapon to add to a still improving Mathieu and hopefully revitalized Dre.

UNLV's leading scorer is leaving the school and graduating and may use the graduate transfer:

Sources indicated Dejean-Jones is exploring taking advantage of the graduate transfer rule, transferring elsewhere and playing immediately if graduates from UNLV this spring. He could also go overseas and play professionally.

The 6-foot-5 swingman averaged 13.6 points this past season, but also had a couple of behavior issues. Dejean-Jones was suspended for the regular season finale against Wyoming for a violation of team rules, and was also reportedly yelling at teammates in the locker room after the Mountain West tournament loss on Friday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ejean-jones-not-returning-to-unlv-next-season

Go Gophers!!

UNLV's leading scorer is leaving the school and graduating and may use the graduate transfer:

Sources indicated Dejean-Jones is exploring taking advantage of the graduate transfer rule, transferring elsewhere and playing immediately if graduates from UNLV this spring. He could also go overseas and play professionally.

The 6-foot-5 swingman averaged 13.6 points this past season, but also had a couple of behavior issues. Dejean-Jones was suspended for the regular season finale against Wyoming for a violation of team rules, and was also reportedly yelling at teammates in the locker room after the Mountain West tournament loss on Friday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ejean-jones-not-returning-to-unlv-next-season

Go Gophers!!

I think I'd pass on that one.

De Andre Kane had his scholarship pulled at Marshall and some of his antics make Jones look like a choirboy. But Jones isn't that good either.

On a related note......Husky and Cougar fans must be cursing the Pitino name. Losing five-star, top-25 SG Shaqquan Aaron to Rick/Louisville is understandable. Losing the next two best prospects in the state, Martin and Piper, to Rich/Minnesota would be a kick in the nuts. Almost feel bad seeing as how top in-state players have shunned us recently. I've also, for no particular reason, have always really liked Washington as one of my favorite teams after the Gophers. Probably because they've been a fairly exciting, uptempo team in both football and basketball which highlighting their skill players......but also potentially because their symbol greatly resembles an upside down Gophers "M".

Martin didn't have a committable offer from Washington.

Nope. Pitino can absolutely miss the tournament next year. Don't fall for the hyperbole by overreacting. Plenty of great coaches didn't make the tournament their first two years with their team. Be worried if we have problems in years 3 and 4.

With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers are in the NCAA tournament next March.

Don't feel great about our chances with him considering he hasn't visited yet. I think Pitt has been the favorite from the beginning and that is probably where he ends up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Big decision is coming up y'all "just wait on it"</p>— kobe eubanks (@kobeeubanks) <a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks/statuses/445260529339478017">March 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't feel great about our chances with him considering he hasn't visited yet. I think Pitt has been the favorite from the beginning and that is probably where he ends up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Big decision is coming up y'all "just wait on it"</p>— kobe eubanks (@kobeeubanks) <a href="https://twitter.com/kobeeubanks/statuses/445260529339478017">March 16, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does this tweet mean hes making the decision now, or is he saying "hey hold your horses, I've got more looking to do because this is such a big decision"? Did he publicly say he is announcing soon?

He's going to Pitt. Hopefully he didn't bother visiting us because Piper is a done deal. POLLYANNA!

Eubanks just tweeted he'll be announcing today.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I was told by a Lakeville friend Pitino did not meet with Macura on his Macura's officical visit to the the University. Instead, Pitino went the the Gopher football game. Is this possible?

I was told by a Lakeville friend Pitino did not meet with Macura on his Macura's officical visit to the the University. Instead, Pitino went the the Gopher football game. Is this possible?

I don't think he made an official visit to Minnesota. Several unofficials over a period of months. During one of his unofficials, Pitino was on vacation. I don't recall any Wednesday Gopher football games, which means your story is BS.

If Macura was on campus during a football game, why wouldn't he attend himself? That is SOP for official visits in the fall. I highly doubt Pitino would have a kid come to campus for an official visit and then avoid him the entire time.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23gophers&src=hash">#gophers</a> basketball coach Richard Pitino was at last night's game with recruits, including JP Macura <a href="http://t.co/Ecu3xAOcb2">pic.twitter.com/Ecu3xAOcb2</a></p>— Jack Satzinger (@JackSatzinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/JackSatzinger/statuses/373463803104477185">August 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think he made an official visit to Minnesota. Several unofficials over a period of months. During one of his unofficials, Pitino was on vacation. I don't recall any Wednesday Gopher football games, which means your story is BS.

Of all the recruits we missed this fall, Macura was and still is the most shocking to me. I swear he was on campus at least a half dozen times if not more in late summer and early fall, and once Stevens left Butler I thought it was a foregone conclusion he was coming here.

Eubanks just tweeted he's going to Baylor. Ugh. $cott Drew $rike$ again.

Eubanks just tweeted he's going to Baylor. Ugh. $cott Drew $rike$ again.

I don't get why players go there, they always get big time recruits than underachieve and on top of that big time recruits draft stock always takes a hit while at Baylor. Perry Jones was top 10 pick out of high school, ended up being last pick in the 1st round. Isiah Austin went from being a lottery pick to a projected 2nd rounder. There is also Quincy Acy and Pierre Jackson noth went much lower in the draft than they should have. I don't know what drew is telling/offering these players, but is it really worth jeopardizing your basketball career for?

I don't get why players go there, they always get big time recruits than underachieve and on top of that big time recruits draft stock always takes a hit while at Baylor. Perry Jones was top 10 pick out of high school, ended up being last pick in the 1st round. Isiah Austin went from being a lottery pick to a projected 2nd rounder. There is also Quincy Acy and Pierre Jackson noth went much lower in the draft than they should have. I don't know what drew is telling/offering these players, but is it really worth jeopardizing your basketball career for?

Well, you get my thought on it. Drew is one of the 'least clean' coaches in college basketball, IMO.

Nope. Pitino can absolutely miss the tournament next year. Don't fall for the hyperbole by overreacting. Plenty of great coaches didn't make the tournament their first two years with their team. Be worried if we have problems in years 3 and 4. With that being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers are in the NCAA tournament next March.

He won't lose his job if he misses again next year but there will start to be Monson comparisons. That would be bad for recruiting.

He won't lose his job if he misses again next year but there will start to be Monson comparisons. That would be bad for recruiting.

I think recruiting class next season will be bigger than the actual season, you can only sell the up and coming angle for so long before your results start to actually matter. He has to land these big time recruits next year esp with the talent we are losing next year, there are no excuses, next years class will likely shape what direction Pitino's career goes as a gophers head coach. Luckily for the gophers, There are a lot of good players in play for us in 2015, we just need to seal the deal.

I think recruiting class next season will be bigger than the actual season, you can only sell the up and coming angle for so long before your results start to actually matter. He has to land these big time recruits next year esp with the talent we are losing next year, there are no excuses, next years class will likely shape what direction Pitino's career goes as a gophers head coach. Luckily for the gophers, There are a lot of good players in play for us in 2015, we just need to seal the deal.

I have no idea if this true, but I had the same thought.

Top Bottom