All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Does anybody have a list of recruits that they think we have a legitimate shot at yet? I know Piper we are going after still, but besides him is there anyone really that wouldn't be a transfer?
Here's a link to our recruiting targets on 247.
http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2014-Basketball/Targets

Djuan Piper
Bakary Konate
Abdoulaye Guyeye

Those three guys are the most likely options at this point.

Haven't heard alot on the Cunningham front, but he was leaning towards DePaul earlier.

Intruiging that they have us interested in Morris' teammate Bowers. One of the top JUCO recruits, but didn't qualify academically out of high school and there's the whole pot eating incident. Has plenty of baggage but would certaintly help this team on the court.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I have been released of my NLI my window for recruitment is wide open</p>— Chief Cohen ▲ (@SandyCohenIII) <a href="https://twitter.com/SandyCohenIII/statuses/447549737239990272">March 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

“I really like coach Pitino. He’s a really nice guy,” Cohen said Friday night. “I like the new style of play he’s trying to bring to the Big Ten. I really like him. I definitely plan on taking a visit to Minnesota.”
http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...in-pg-sandy-cohen-i-really-like-coach-pitino/

That is what he said before he committed to Marquette. It seem like he was completely enamored with Marquette though. Not sure if it was because of Buzz, the school, or both. Being this late in the game he could see offers from even better programs that offered him before. Had offers from Memphis, Creighton, Virginia, Iowa and more before.

One thing to not put too much stock on, is who he was considering before he commited, there will be a lot of teams on him that weren't before because they missed out on their guys, like MSU with alvin ellis when he decommited from here

I posted this in the buzz thread, I'll say it again... I was not impressed with Cohen the times I seen him this year playing against a top d2 (second level in Wisconsin bball). Did not attack the rim much, played lazy zone defense on top of a 1-3-1 and talked a lot of junk. It was a high profile game and in my eyes he did not rise to the occasion.

In warm ups he showed tremendous hops, a quick first step and great athleticism. Just didn't show much of that in game, took a lot of 3s. With some size added maybe he gets more comfortable being aggressive and is more of a threat. I would not pencil him in as any sort of impact as a frosh if we get him.

6'6" guard? Yes please.

Anyone know his strengths? Shooter? Slasher?

Would you guys rather have Piper or Cohen?

Haven't seen any video on Piper. Cohen is a versitle guy who can play a little point if you want him to. From what I have read about about Piper is that he is more of your typical slasher/wing type.

Cohen definitely has some potential, as he's long and athletic, but he needs some development yet to really refine his game. I am hoping that UW takes a hard look at him, as they could use another bigger wing down the road. Not sure if or how hard they will push for him though, as they showed very little interest in him this spring and summer when he burst onto the scene.

Academics are a ?... Heard he was struggling to get his ACT where it needed to be

Not sure about his ACT, but Cohen had a tough life for a while, which caused some academic struggles early in HS. However, he had offers from 3 Big 10 schools as well as Virginia, which lead me to believe that things have improved.

Academics are a ?... Heard he was struggling to get his ACT where it needed to be

I see the ACT as a non-factor. Same as with Jeff Jones. Kids go in and do poorly on the first attempt all of the time. The only excuse for a kid not becoming eligible due to ACT scores would be a mental handicap of some sort.

That reminds me of Mike Kelley from Wisconsin years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL what?

Mike Kelley was an unathletic 6'2 point guard who was a great defender and not much else. That might be the most random comparison I have ever seen on GH.

Cohen was one of the players I wanted most this fall. He is so athletic and so smooth it's ridiculous. He also seems to have very good court vision.

Highlights start at 1:48...

Cohen was one of the players I wanted most this fall. He is so athletic and so smooth it's ridiculous. He also seems to have very good court vision.

Highlights start at 1:48...

An early favorite for the slam dunk contest if he signs. I watched one of his dunks where he moved the ball from his right hand to his left, behind the back, mid flight....in a game, with a defender on him. Not advisable, in my book, but impressive to watch.

I would think if Pitino can land both Cohen and Piper he would probably take them both especially since it has been said that Cohen can really play the 1, 2, or 3.

I would think if Pitino can land both Cohen and Piper he would probably take them both especially since it has been said that Cohen can really play the 1, 2, or 3.

He would definitely take both. It would fix the black hole at the 3 for next season, and prepare for the mass exodus the season after.

Top Bottom