All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

So does anyone know who Pitino is going after now that Vaughn cut us from his list? Is he just going to bank the Scholarship for next Year's class? What about that One Big Man from Alabama or something that is 6'10 and is really raw?

So does anyone know who Pitino is going after now that Vaughn cut us from his list? Is he just going to bank the Scholarship for next Year's class? What about that One Big Man from Alabama or something that is 6'10 and is really raw?

My guess is they will look for graduate transfers. One at the 3 and one at the 4. I do like the idea of Morris, Buggs, and King competing for the 3.

per Sid:

• Gopherhole.com reported this week on Carlos Morris, a 2014 shooting guard commitment for Richard Pitino. Morris is playing for Chipola Junior College in Marianna, Fla., which is 14-1. He is averaging 14.8 points, five rebounds and two assists per game. … Nate Mason, a Gophers point guard recruit from Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, Fla., scored 20 points in a 100-90 loss to Northside Christian last week. Arlington Country Day was ranked No. 13 in USA Today’s Top 25 before the loss. … Power forward recruit Josh Martin of Seattle Bothell won MVP honors at the Bothell Holiday Classic. He is averaging 26.9 points per game.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/239352121.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

My own hunch is that the Gopher roster will look quite a bit different next season than it looks on paper now. I'd be more surprised if the Gophers added just one more player between now and the start of school next year than I would be if they added three. I am saying that with no real idea what's been promised to Carson Shanks. As for 2015? Don't most schools lose a lot of their production over a two year span? If we are not recruiting good basketball players between now and then, then obviously 2015 will be ugly. We could also recruit a number of guys between now and then and have a lot of excitement going in to that season.

My own hunch is that the Gopher roster will look quite a bit different next season than it looks on paper now. I'd be more surprised if the Gophers added just one more player between now and the start of school next year than I would be if they added three. I am saying that with no real idea what's been promised to Carson Shanks. As for 2015? Don't most schools lose a lot of their production over a two year span? If we are not recruiting good basketball players between now and then, then obviously 2015 will be ugly. We could also recruit a number of guys between now and then and have a lot of excitement going in to that season.

Agree. If we just look at who is already signed and what we are losing, things get a little worrisome for 2015. That said, I fully expect that we will add at least one major contributor next spring for 2014. Remember, two of our key contributors for this season were late additions (Lil Dre and Smith). I expect a transfer or key late addition, maybe two depending on departures.

I think Mason and Martin will get solid minutes next year, maybe Morris as well, making them very capable of big minutes in 2015. We absolutely without a doubt have to sign a highly regarded class for 2015, with at least one freshman able to play big minutes. Truthfully, I think Pitino will do just that...

My gut tells me that we will be a really good team next year, followed by a young and exciting team that takes its lumps in 2015, followed by the emergence of Pitino dominance each year thereafter.. :)

My gut tells me that we will be a really good team next year, followed by a young and exciting team that takes its lumps in 2015, followed by the emergence of Pitino dominance each year thereafter.. :)

I read that last sentence like a Howard Dean speech.

howard-dean-yeah-o.gif

:clap:

This summer (2014) could be a great the year for transfers knowing sitting out a year they would be able to start 2015

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7'0, 225 lbs? Oh lord. :confused: That's not going to fly in the big ten.

About the same size as RS3 and Frank Kaminsky out of high school. Only 10 pounds less them Elliason. He'll have a year to put on good weight.

7'0, 225 lbs? Oh lord. That's not going to fly in the big ten.

A poor man's JaJuan Johnson or Calvin Booth maybe.......maybe.

He has plenty of time to put on weight before he sees major minutes. We definitely need a big in this class and we didn't even need to use a scholarship immediately. I knew Nebraska offered him, but forgot Ben Johnson was there at the time. When EE and Not So Huge Mo graduate, Shanks will have been in the program almost 2 years.

Sounds like he'll have to actually earn a scholarship instead of it being a sure thing.

I like picking up Shanks, especially because of the fact he isn't guaranteed a scholarship. After '14 we will lose EE, Mo, and Oto in the front court and both Dre's in the backcourt. In my opinion EE is the only significant front court loss.

This will hedge our bet on front court recruits in the '15 class (4 in ESPN top 55).

My guess is they will try to land a transfer guard (D1 or Juco) to come in with the '15 class to contribute immediately. If not, Nate Mason and Daquein will have every opportunity to get big minutes.

My guess is they will try to land a transfer guard (D1 or Juco) to come in with the '15 class to contribute immediately. If not, Nate Mason and Daquein will have every opportunity to get big minutes.

Remember Carlos Morris will still be on the team in 2015. At the moment, we'll probably be looking at something like Mason (Soph), McNeil (Jr), Morris (Sr), Martin (Soph), and Shanks (Jr?) as a starting line up. Jarvis Johnson could also be in the starting line up if we land him. Same goes with Illikainen (at the 4 or the 5).

Obviously we'll have a lot more recruits between now and then though.

Remember Carlos Morris will still be on the team in 2015. At the moment, we'll probably be looking at something like Mason (Soph), McNeil (Jr), Morris (Sr), Martin (Soph), and Shanks (Jr?) as a starting line up. Jarvis Johnson could also be in the starting line up if we land him. Same goes with Illikainen (at the 4 or the 5).

Obviously we'll have a lot more recruits between now and then though.

I hope you're not expecting to go dancing with that starting lineup, but I digress. Having Shanks in the program allows Coach P. and staff to concentrate on shoring up the 3 with probably two scholarships available. Those of you who are comfortable watching film may have noticed Morris is 6-4 and 170 lbs. He's approximately 15-20 lbs. from having a B1G ready body. In fact somewhere early on the thread, his JUCO coach mentioned he needs to get stronger. To be rated a 4* wing, a player usually can attack the hole like Joe Coleman. Morris doesn't show this. To get off the bubble, bubble we need another wing to at least share minutes and I would guess it's a graduate transfer.

I hope you're not expecting to go dancing with that starting lineup, but I digress. Having Shanks in the program allows Coach P. and staff to concentrate on shoring up the 3 with probably two scholarships available. Those of you who are comfortable watching film may have noticed Morris is 6-4 and 170 lbs. He's approximately 15-20 lbs. from having a B1G ready body. In fact somewhere early on the thread, his JUCO coach mentioned he needs to get stronger. To be rated a 4* wing, a player usually can attack the hole like Joe Coleman. Morris doesn't show this. To get off the bubble, bubble we need another wing to at least share minutes and I would guess it's a graduate transfer.

I was going to respond to this but then I remembered you're Phil Jackson.

About the same size as RS3 and Frank Kaminsky out of high school. Only 10 pounds less them Elliason. He'll have a year to put on good weight.

*Year and a half actually.* Which is nice, because it gives him quite a bit of time to add some muscle which he never previously had prior to this summer. If he can gain 20 lbs of muscle by the time EE/Mo graduate, I'd be happy with that!

Nobody wants to hear this, but Vaughn is tearing it up at Findlay.

@collegebbnews: Ex-Robbinsdale Copper guard Rashad Vaughn is expected to be back in 10 days for Findlay Prep. He is averaging 21.1 ppg for the 18-3 Pilots

@collegebbnews: Vaughn is also averaging 4.7 rebs, 4.9 assists, and 2.6 steals. He is shooting 57% from the field, 61% on 2FG%, and 50 3FG%.

@collegebbnews: Vaughn is on pace to become one of the first players in Findlay Prep history to average over 20 ppg and break the 3-point field goal% record and tbhree-pointers made in a single season.

*Year and a half actually.* Which is nice, because it gives him quite a bit of time to add some muscle which he never previously had prior to this summer. If he can gain 20 lbs of muscle by the time EE/Mo graduate, I'd be happy with that!

I think he becomes eligible to play after first semester next year because he is sitting out this semester and fall semester so that would mean he has a year right? Not sure on the rules but I think this is what I read…so he'll miss non-conference and start with conference play.

I think he becomes eligible to play after first semester next year because he is sitting out this semester and fall semester so that would mean he has a year right? Not sure on the rules but I think this is what I read…so he'll miss non-conference and start with conference play.

Correct, but he won't waist a season of eligibility just to sit on the bench behind EE/Mo just for Big Ten season (1/2 a season).

Correct, but he won't waist a season of eligibility just to sit on the bench behind EE/Mo just for Big Ten season (1/2 a season).
He already sat out this year, he doesn't have a choice. 5 to play 4.

He already say out this year, he doesn't have a choice. 5 to play 4.

Assuming he plays the second half of next year, does he have three full years of eligibility remaining when they start the 2015-2016 season?

Top Bottom