All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Remember Carlos Morris will still be on the team in 2015. At the moment, we'll probably be looking at something like Mason (Soph), McNeil (Jr), Morris (Sr), Martin (Soph), and Shanks (Jr?) as a starting line up. Jarvis Johnson could also be in the starting line up if we land him. Same goes with Illikainen (at the 4 or the 5).

Obviously we'll have a lot more recruits between now and then though.

This is going to get blasted, but Carlos Morris will be better for us next year than Austin has been performing this year. My biggest concern for '15 is how we replace the Dre's.

This is going to get blasted, but Carlos Morris will be better for us next year than Austin has been performing this year. My biggest concern for '15 is how we replace the Dre's.

I haven't seen Morris play, but the way Austin has been playing I would probably lean in this direction as well.

That's where you hope you can land Jarvis, and maybe another recruit. Nate Mason and Daquein will be there as well.

That's where you hope you can land Jarvis, and maybe another recruit. Nate Mason and Daquein will be there as well.

I do not live in MN anymore and therefore have not seen Jarvis play. His highlights online are mostly dunks. Can he be an immediate contributor as a freshman?

I do not live in MN anymore and therefore have not seen Jarvis play. His highlights online are mostly dunks. Can he be an immediate contributor as a freshman?

I think he will be. Definitely more than just a dunker. Would be surprised if he isn't averaging at least 20 minutes if he comes here.

I think Morris will be able to defend like Hollins, they have similar build, it seems like Morris is also a solid three point shooter and mid range game. I don't know how good of a slasher he is, but I don't expect him to be a superstar, but I do expect him to provide 20-25 minutes a night at he wing. I'm sure King will see minutes at the three next year, unless Buggs or Wally can step up and take 10 minutes a game

I think Morris will be able to defend like Hollins, they have similar build, it seems like Morris is also a solid three point shooter and mid range game. I don't know how good of a slasher he is, but I don't expect him to be a superstar, but I do expect him to provide 20-25 minutes a night at he wing. I'm sure King will see minutes at the three next year, unless Buggs or Wally can step up and take 10 minutes a game

It won't be Buggs or Wally.

It won't be Buggs or Wally.
I agree, but you never know, who thought Mo would lose 60 pounds and Oto would contribute? It'll probably be King, can see him at both the three and the four and with Martin coming in they'll be more depth at the 4

I can sort of see what the rotation next year could look like.

PG- Mathieu
SG- Hollins (finally won't have to distinguish anymore)
SF- Morris
PF- Martin
C- Eliason
Backup PG- Mason
Backup SG- McNeil
Backup SF- King
Backup PF- Oto
Backup C- Walker

PG- Mathieu
SF- Morris
PF- Martin
C- Eliason
Backup PG- Mason
Backup SG- McNeil
Backup SF- King
Backup PF- Oto
Backup C- Walker

I agree 100%. The only thing that amazes me is that it feels like Buggs and Wally will never contribute. I think Buggs has a lot of potential and he looked thicker when I saw him at Sparty yesterday. Wally was recruited by a lot of big schools, I can't figure out why he still looks out of place out there. You would think they would play him some, especially with Austin struggling.

PG- Mathieu
SF- Morris
PF- Martin
C- Eliason
Backup PG- Mason
Backup SG- McNeil
Backup SF- King
Backup PF- Oto
Backup C- Walker

Assuming we can replace Malik's 3pt shooting, I like this team a lot more than what we currently have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Assuming we can replace Malik's 3pt shooting, I like this team a lot more than what we currently have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Agreed. What stinks is that Wisconsin brings everyone back, as does Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue with the exception of Terrone Johnson. BIG will be very good next year. MSU and OSU will reload as well.

Agreed. What stinks is that Wisconsin brings everyone back, as does Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Purdue with the exception of Terrone Johnson. BIG will be very good next year. MSU and OSU will reload as well.

Yeah, unreal. Three teams in the top 10, plus Iowa who maybe should be, and it only gets tougher next year. Hard to compete in this league without top shelf talent...which is why they went with someone like Richard, I guess. I think you can fashion a contender with 3- and 4-star dudes, but it sure would be nice to reel in a big fish. As I've said before, the best predictor of how good a major-conference college team is is how many future NBA contributors they have. Right now on this team, I don't see one. Andre might still have a chance, but he doesn't look the part right now.

I agree 100%. The only thing that amazes me is that it feels like Buggs and Wally will never contribute. I think Buggs has a lot of potential and he looked thicker when I saw him at Sparty yesterday. Wally was recruited by a lot of big schools, I can't figure out why he still looks out of place out there. You would think they would play him some, especially with Austin struggling.

Prior to the season, many of us on this board projected Buggs would be a starter (unless Buckles transferred here). That is actually one of the bigger surprises for me this year. Obviously it is too early to completely write him off, but it is pretty telling that he can hardly see the floor at such a position of need. Regarding Wally, I've never been a huge fan of his. I don't see him ever being a big contributor to this program.

I don't know about Morris, but I'll agree with the sentiment.

Austin Hollins is a very replaceable part. The media will drum up his loss as a huge factor for success next year, but it shouldn't be a factor. There are lots of players who can do what he does. He's a solid player, but he's not special.

Coach P. and staff have at least one and probably 2 tenders, so I expect recruiting is no where near complete. To replace a 3 year B1G starter with a JUCO with offers from primarily UAB and Seton Hall is a stretch. We need someone to replace our second leading scorer. Martin looks to be a banger and should fix the rebounding and defensive black hole at PF, but to expect more than 6-8 points per game from a freshman PF in the B1G is once again a stretch. We will see some new players this spring.

Yeah, unreal. Three teams in the top 10, plus Iowa who maybe should be, and it only gets tougher next year. Hard to compete in this league without top shelf talent...which is why they went with someone like Richard, I guess. I think you can fashion a contender with 3- and 4-star dudes, but it sure would be nice to reel in a big fish. As I've said before, the best predictor of how good a major-conference college team is is how many future NBA contributors they have. Right now on this team, I don't see one. Andre might still have a chance, but he doesn't look the part right now.

+1

I don't know about Morris, but I'll agree with the sentiment.

Austin Hollins is a very replaceable part. The media will drum up his loss as a huge factor for success next year, but it shouldn't be a factor. There are lots of players who can do what he does. He's a solid player, but he's not special.

I think you are underestimating Austin's defense, which has been solid despite his shooting woes. He always is guarding the opponents best offensive player, and has had good success this year. The hardest transition from high school/juco is on the defensive end of the floor. I'm not seeing anyone who can succeed him as a lock down defender on the wing.

I think you are underestimating Austin's defense, which has been solid despite his shooting woes. He always is guarding the opponents best offensive player, and has had good success this year. The hardest transition from high school/juco is on the defensive end of the floor. I'm not seeing anyone who can succeed him as a lock down defender on the wing.

The only thing that matters is the scorebook. :banghead:

It's much easier to find a defender than a scorer. Austin Hollins is probably an average D-1 starter. We need those, but you can replace those, especially at his position.

I also think Shanks will be in the rotation with EE and Mo

Austin defense will be tough to replace but he is just a jump shooter I think morris will be able to do that. He can't dribble or slash to the hoop at all.

+1

Stop describing me, station19.

1521731_654286947970140_1788419797_n.jpg

PG- Mathieu
SF- Morris
PF- Martin
C- Eliason
Backup PG- Mason
Backup SG- McNeil
Backup SF- King
Backup PF- Oto
Backup C- Walker

I'm not sure if I can picture king as a small forward. He would have to improve his ball handling and perimeter defense a lot. I like McNeill at sf with hollins playing the entire game.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It's much easier to find a defender than a scorer. Austin Hollins is probably an average D-1 starter. We need those, but you can replace those, especially at his position.

I disagree. Good defense is kinda a lost art in today's game.

In the zone, individual defensive skill isn't quite as critical though, since you aren't sticking to a specific player the whole possession. Morris isn't a great shooter, but he's a great ball-handler and finds wys to score. So in that sense, I'm confident he can bring more to the offense than Austin. If he can provide anything close to the defense of Austin, he'll provide more of an impact.

Maybe in the NBA, but in college there all sorts of great defenders. I'd take an elite scorer over an elite defender, unless of course the elite defender is a 7 footer that can anchor your entire defense.

Top Bottom