All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Martin, Oto, King, Buggs & Wally.

No offense, but when I look at that list, none of those guys will be capable of being a good starting PF next year who can hold their own in B1G play. We're set at PG/SG/C. If Squirrel can be decent at SF, we'll be okay in that regard. PF will continue to be a huge issue.

No offense, but when I look at that list, none of those guys will be capable of being a good starting PF next year who can hold their own in B1G play. We're set at PG/SG/C. If Squirrel can be decent at SF, we'll be okay in that regard. PF will continue to be a huge issue.

Crazy how you already have Squirrel as a capable SF in the B1G and you haven't seen him play period. While Oto, who you HAVE seen play, but not this year in the B1G is not capable....

Martin looks to have the physical build to play the position, but I’m not projecting him as our starter.

My only worry is having Martin, King, Buggs and another PF on the roster the same year Alex and Henry are freshman.

I think Martin could start by the end of the year. The kid already has a bigger body than Oto and King, he is also a lot more athletic and skilled than those two. He will be a big part of what we do next year, no doubt.

I think Martin could start by the end of the year. The kid already has a bigger body than Oto and King, he is also a lot more athletic and skilled than those two. He will be a big part of what we do next year, no doubt.

I also think Martin will start (by big ten play) just because of his build and athleticism. Unless he really goes above and beyond as a frosh (we shouldn't expect him, or any freshman to) the position will still likely continue to be a weakness. I think Martin eventually will do some nice things for us!

In my view, scheduling Louisville, in addition to the preseason NIT for next year is a good indication that Pitino feels he will have a squad that is able to compete at a fairly high level. Vaughn and an athletic, rebounding Juco PF would take care of things. I think that would make them top 20 material.

I think he will be happy as hell to make it to the dance, as will we all.

Amelia Q&A:

Are the gophers looking at anyone else for 2014 besides Vaughn?

@dogs_inthehouse

Nope, just Vaughn. Just kidding! Of course they are … Abdoulaye Gueye is a guy (big man in Birmingham) they have their sights on in a serious way, and there are others, but the recruiting game will shuffle a bit come spring time.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/234623251.html

Go Gophers!!

Alex Murphy is transferring from Duke. 4 star kid on Rivals. I think he is a Sophmore

Alex Murphy is transferring from Duke. 4 star kid on Rivals. I think he is a Sophmore

I follow Duke and can't figure out why Murphy gets no run. Very solid all-around skills. Moves well and seems to be a good decision maker. I think he'd flourish in a system that gave him freedom to create. He's a role player at best right now for Duke. Could be a star on a roster that wasn't dominated by possible/likely future draft picks.

He'd fit really well in our system. Pretty sure he loses a year of eligibility if he transfers unless he can get a waiver somewhere. Almost positive he redshirted.

Florida offered him when Pitino was there. Pretty good bet Richard knows him very well. Offer him!!!!

I think he could be a good fit and I would be happy if Pitino could land him. The article I looked at said he was a redshirt Soph. so he more than likely would have to sit out a year but at least he could be eligible for the second semester next season wherever he goes since it is expected he will transfer after this semester. The article I read mentioned Florida as a possibility.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/05/report-duke-redshirt-sophomore-forward-alex-murphy-to-transfer/related/

Didn't even put together that he is Erik Murphy's bro. Really hope Pitino goes after him.

Duke officially announces Murphy is transferring. Hopefully we hear that Pitino has some interest.

He is deciding soon?
He is transfering after the semester so I would think he would want to be enrolled for the 2nd semester at wherever he transfers to so he would be able to play after semester break next year and not miss the whole season.

What? How are they going to recover from the best practice player in the country?

So wherever Murphy decides to go he'll be able to play the second semester next year as a redshirt junior and then have a full season as a senior? I say go after him.

So wherever Murphy decides to go he'll be able to play the second semester next year as a redshirt junior and then have a full season as a senior? I say go after him.
That should be the case as long as he is enrolled at that school for this next semester.

Top Bottom