All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Why? Don't get the logic. Reid will play major minutes for us regardless of Martin.You could see lineups with three guards and Martin and Reid on the court for that matter. I suppose if Lechance commits to us Tyus drops us from his list because he's scared he won't play.
Tyus' real list or the one to make his home state happy while he still has to live here?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206">@JoshMartin_206</a> played with <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr">@ShowtimeMr</a> at Rucker Park this summer. Martin told me he'll try his best to persuade Vaughn to be a tandem.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/384822487256530945">September 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownGopher View Post
So if we are lucky enough to get a commit from Josh Martin, does Reid immediately eliminate us from his list of schools?
yeah Travis will probably end up at Duke where there is less competition for PT

+1

yeah Travis will probably end up at Duke where there is less competition for PT

Never said anything about playing time. I was more getting at the point that if he was just keeping us on his list since we are the hometown team that he now has an excuse to cross us off his list. Thus, it will be interesting to see what he does. If he cuts us then we know we probably never had a chance. If he doesn't then there is probably some legitimate interest there. But you unsurprisingly decided to post some snarky comment than actually do some critical thinking about what this could mean for Reid and the Gophers.

Travis can't play center in the B1G, not sure about Martin, I could see Martin at the 3 and Travis at 4 at times though.

I believe Mason has been on visits to Virginia and Kansas State. I looked at some of his clips on YouTube this Summer when the Gophers were mentioned with him and he definitely seems like more of a scorer than a pure point guard.

Yes - a bit of a gunner. Likes to shoot. Doesn't turn it over a lot, though.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> RT <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDanielsFOX">@EvanDanielsFOX</a>: Riley LaChance tweeted that he committed to Vanderbilt.</p>— GopherHole.com (@GopherHole) <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherHole/statuses/384886571352461312">October 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think now that LaChance is gone, Pitino should go all in for tyus. Even though a landing him is a long shot at best. I dont believe they NEED to land a point guard. 2015 is when a solid get is essential at the point. Hopefully we can land a couple good handling wings and Travis.

I know it's disheartening that we're making the final 10 or better for a lot of these recruits, but aren't getting them. I think a great season and a first round win in the NCAA tournament will get us the commitments. You have to remember, Coach P. hasn't even proven himself yet at the U here, and he's already getting us in the door with the major recruits. Imagine what a great season will do? Recruits will have seen how the Gophers play, and I'm confident we will land some big time recruits then.

I think now that LaChance is gone, Pitino should go all in for tyus. Even though a landing him is a long shot at best. I dont believe they NEED to land a point guard. 2015 is when a solid get is essential at the point. Hopefully we can land a couple good handling wings and Travis.

All in like paying Tyus a bunch of money?? Not gonna happen, sorry? Travis also isn't going to happen. We need to be all in on Vaughn. IMO Iowa St. and us are his final 2. He has a big local following who want to watch his games as much as possible. He also has NBA dreams. If Young Rich can convince Vaughn that he can get him to the NBA like I'm sure Hoiberg is we have a great shot. LeChance isn't a big loss. 6'2 guards are a dime a dozen.

All in like paying Tyus a bunch of money?? Not gonna happen, sorry? Travis also isn't going to happen. We need to be all in on Vaughn. IMO Iowa St. and us are his final 2. He has a big local following who want to watch his games as much as possible. He also has NBA dreams. If Young Rich can convince Vaughn that he can get him to the NBA like I'm sure Hoiberg is we have a great shot. LeChance isn't a big loss. 6'2 guards are a dime a dozen.

Yeah. We should wait on a PG for next year at this point. Vaughn will be around for at least two years, which will look really nice with a senior Dre Hollins.

All in as in just make a big push for Tyus Jones, I would hope that the poster you quoted was not implying giving him improper benefits. I think that with LaChance's commitment (thankfully not a commitment to Iowa), that Tyus is the only top 100 point guard who hasn't committed yet, so it's not like if Pitino puts all his eggs in the Tyus basket he'll miss out on some still very good plan B type point guards for 2014. Seems like a low risk high reward strategy to me at this point, as long as Pitino is still able to get a good point guard or two for 2015, like Jarvis Johnson, who seems to be leaning toward the Gophers.

And when did Reid Travis fall into "not a chance" territory? I thought we were still very much in the running with him along with Stanford and Gonzaga and maybe another school or two I'm forgetting.

Yeah. We should wait on a PG for next year at this point. Vaughn will be around for at least two years, which will look really nice with a senior Dre Hollins.

Pretty sure Vaughn has been quoted as saying he plans to be a one and done, but his freshman year will coincide with Dre's senior year, so they would still have one season together assuming Vaughn comes here and Dre doesn't blow up in a big way this year and leave for the NBA. You'd have to think that a Hollins/Vaughn guard duo would be one of the best in the Big Ten if not the country, assuming they were to play the 1 and 2 respectively.

All in as in just make a big push for Tyus Jones, I would hope that the poster you quoted was not implying giving him improper benefits. I think that with LaChance's commitment (thankfully not a commitment to Iowa), that Tyus is the only top 100 point guard who hasn't committed yet, so it's not like if Pitino puts all his eggs in the Tyus basket he'll miss out on some still very good plan B type point guards for 2014. Seems like a low risk high reward strategy to me at this point, as long as Pitino is still able to get a good point guard or two for 2015, like Jarvis Johnson, who seems to be leaning toward the Gophers.

And when did Reid Travis fall into "not a chance" territory? I thought we were still very much in the running with him along with Stanford and Gonzaga and maybe another school or two I'm forgetting.

Pretty sure Vaughn has been quoted as saying he plans to be a one and done, but his freshman year will coincide with Dre's senior year, so they would still have one season together assuming Vaughn comes here and Dre doesn't blow up in a big way this year and leave for the NBA. You'd have to think that a Hollins/Vaughn guard duo would be one of the best in the Big Ten if not the country, assuming they were to play the 1 and 2 respectively.

He can plan on that. I don't buy it though. He's not good enough.

If he's not good enough for Wisconsin or Marquette he's not good enough for Minnesota.

I think Mason would be a nice get, if we get Johnson next year we will have really good PG play for those three years. Factor in McNeil as well

Kid looks like a stud. I have a feeling he'd be ranked significantly higher if he was in the 6'0-6'2 range. Great handle, solid jumper, and has no fear taking it to the hoop. Seems to have solid court vision too. Would love to get him.

Good handle; quick trigger; decisive; deceptive speed; seemingly good feel for where everyone is around him.

Any official word on whether or not Milik Yarbrough is visiting this week/weekend?

247 lists him as visiting on 10/2/2013

What's the word on Carlos Morris's visit from this past weekend?

I'll admit I haven't seen Riley LaChance play other than in YouTube videos, but he just didn't seem like the best fit for what Pitino wants to do. I think he would have fit pretty well offensively with his shooting ability, but if we really want to focus on pressure defense, he doesn't seem like an ideal guard for that. I envision guys like Tum Tum or Nate Mason doing a better job of filling the Peyton Siva/Russ Smith type mold of player. I think I would much rather have Mason next year and developing him as opposed to banking a scholarship for 2015.

What's the word on Carlos Morris's visit from this past weekend?

From Amelia,

"**JUCO shooting guard Carlos “Squirrel” Morris returned to Florida last night after officialling at Minnesota this weekend. The Chipola college guard seems to have enjoyed his visit immensely – calling it “a good fit” and a “family environment” -- and loved that Gophers fans chanted his name at Saturday’s football game. Morris plans to fit an official visit to UAB in the next couple of weeks, in between two jamborees, and then “I will probably make my decision,” he said. Also more on this to come."

duke offer will do that to some people

Top Bottom