All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

From Amelia,

"**JUCO shooting guard Carlos “Squirrel” Morris returned to Florida last night after officialling at Minnesota this weekend. The Chipola college guard seems to have enjoyed his visit immensely – calling it “a good fit” and a “family environment” -- and loved that Gophers fans chanted his name at Saturday’s football game. Morris plans to fit an official visit to UAB in the next couple of weeks, in between two jamborees, and then “I will probably make my decision,” he said. Also more on this to come."

Thanks!

Did Morris pull a Walter White with the Gopher crowd?

Say my name. Say my name, Say my name.

His nickname is squirrel? We gotta have him just for that!

Any official word on whether or not Milik Yarbrough is visiting this week/weekend?

247 lists him as visiting on 10/2/2013

I think I remember Kyle Goblirsch tweeting that he won't be visiting then.

EDIT: It's a Pig Man beat me to it. I guess he won't be visiting this week.

I think I remember Kyle Goblirsch tweeting that he won't be visiting then.

EDIT: It's a Pig Man beat me to it. I guess he won't be visiting this week.

Royal, what do you think the chances are of two people answering a question from roughly 12 hours ago within a minute of each other?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>PG Nate Mason will visit Virginia this weekend. Was at Kansas State two weeks ago, Minnesota and Creighton picking up interest.</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/385251802939420673">October 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Amelia's latest blog entry with some quotes from Carlos Morris in it.

“I just wanted to see if it was like a family, and it was definitely like a family environment -- they show a lot of love,” he said. “At the football stadium, fans were chanting my name and stuff, so it made me feel good. That was big time. I didn’t expect that, so it kind of surprised me, but that was great.”

Morris is participating in jamborees this weekend and next and hopes to squeeze the UAB visit in between or immediately after.

“I told them I would make that visit happen, so I want to be a man of my word,” Morris said. “I will probably make a decision after that.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226140091.html

Wouldn't be surprised if Morris commits to the U after his UAB visit, so within a few weeks.

“I just wanted to see if it was like a family, and it was definitely like a family environment -- they show a lot of love,” he said. “At the football stadium, fans were chanting my name and stuff, so it made me feel good. That was big time. I didn’t expect that, so it kind of surprised me, but that was great.”

Morris is participating in jamborees this weekend and next and hopes to squeeze the UAB visit in between or immediately after.

“I told them I would make that visit happen, so I want to be a man of my word,” Morris said. “I will probably make a decision after that.”

Wouldn't be surprised if Morris commits to the U after his UAB visit, so within a few weeks.

Really like the way he phrased that. Sounds like he's not too excited for the UAB visit after coming here, but just wants to follow through on a promise.

I like where we stand with Morris.

I like his game, seems well-rounded and very athletic. And as mentioned above, his nickname is the squirrel, we have to have him.

I like his game, seems well-rounded and very athletic. And as mentioned above, his nickname is the squirrel, we have to have him.

If we can't have a Tum Tum, we'll get us some squirrel.

Anyone coming in named Flounder or anything?

I'd have to say Carlos Morris would be the most likely to commit next - in about 1-2 weeks. I'm very excited that Josh Cunningham is visiting soon. I hope we get him. Then the next possibilities being Mason and Gueye visiting??

Cunningham is probably about the best possible recruit remaining that we could get outside of the Big 3. I'd say Morris and Mason are probably pretty close after that.

I'd have to say Carlos Morris would be the most likely to commit next - in about 1-2 weeks. I'm very excited that Josh Cunningham is visiting soon. I hope we get him. Then the next possibilities being Mason and Gueye visiting??

When is Cunningham visiting? The link below is to a recent Cunningham article from NY2LA. I was surprised to see no mention of Minnesota or Iowa.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1620#

Strange that Minnesota isn't mentioned in that article... last I heard, he was planning on setting up an official here sometime this month.

When is Cunningham visiting? The link below is to a recent Cunningham article from NY2LA. I was surprised to see no mention of Minnesota or Iowa.

http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=1620#

I thought it was going to be the weekend of Oct 12th? I remember hearing that before. Who knows though, these things seem to change so often. I certainly hope he's still coming for a visit.

This likely means one of two things. Either NY2LA simply made a mistake by not mentioning the visit, or Pitino only wanted 1 of Morris/Cunningham. Morris very well could have told him "Yeah, I'm going to commit, but I promised I would visit UAB, so I should do that first." Getting a commitment from both could hurt our chances with Vaughn, which despite what some people think, we still have a very real chance with.

Strange that Minnesota isn't mentioned in that article... last I heard, he was planning on setting up an official here sometime this month.

Not sure what to believe at this point. Here's Amelia's blog from 9/25 that seemed to indicate that Minnesota was very much in the mix for Cunningham and he would be visiting the second weekend of October:

Gophers target Josh Cunningham will be visiting Minnesota on an official over the second weekend of October, he and his AAU and high school coach, Nick Irvin said.

The 6-7 wing from Chicago, who has already visited Creighton officially, also has Oklahoma, Iowa State and Bradley scheduled, Irvin said.

Cunningham is used to playing in an up-tempo system in high school, in which Cunningham is a natural, Irvin said. “He loves defense,” he said. “He takes about three charges a game. … He rebounds the ball well. He can play any system, but I think the uptempo style fits him best.”

Irvin knows Richard Pitino from when the Gophers coach was an assistant at Louisville, and recruited Cunningham’s former Morgan Park High School teammate Wayne Blackshear. The young coach and his staff has made an impact, he said.

“Josh likes them a lot,” Irvin said. “He’s gotten to know Pitino and the assistant coaches. … One of the things he’s said about Richie is that he’s coached with two of the top coaches in all of college basketball, which are his father and Billy Donovan, so he has a good background. And he’s a young coach, and energetic.”

Cunningham also has family in the Minneapolis, area, Irvin said, with an aunt, uncle and lots of cousins nearby.

“When we play AAU out there, they came and supported him, he had a big support system,” Irvin said. “He wants to have a good support system and be around people that he know or could get to his mom if he needed to or his family could get to him, where it’s not far – that’s important.”

Cunningham’s last official is scheduled for November 8th, so assuming he takes all his visits – as Irvin has urged – a decision is not imminent. This week, both Iowa State and Minnesota are expected in Chicago, the coach said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/225224832.html

This likely means one of two things. Either NY2LA simply made a mistake by not mentioning the visit, or Pitino only wanted 1 of Morris/Cunningham. Morris very well could have told him "Yeah, I'm going to commit, but I promised I would visit UAB, so I should do that first." Getting a commitment from both could hurt our chances with Vaughn, which despite what some people think, we still have a very real chance with.

Even if that's true, I would think we'd still be recruiting Josh until we had a solid verbal from Morris. First come first serve type of thing. Unless Pitino really prefers Morris, but I'd have a hard time believing that.

Even if that's true, I would think we'd still be recruiting Josh until we had a solid verbal from Morris. First come first serve type of thing. Unless Pitino really prefers Morris, but I'd have a hard time believing that.

Maybe he does have a verbal and Morris is just keeping it quiet until he visits UAB like he promised he would do.

Although Cunningham is rated higher, it does seem as if Morris is an overall better shooter and scorer. Cunningham is more of an athlete that can rebound and play defense. If Pitino is looking for a guard that can score and shoot the 3, he may actually prefer Morris.

Although Cunningham is rated higher, it does seem as if Morris is an overall better shooter and scorer. Cunningham is more of an athlete that can rebound and play defense. If Pitino is looking for a guard that can score and shoot the 3, he may actually prefer Morris.

Yeah, it would also help even out the classes since Morris would be here for two years and graduate with Wally and Joey King. Also, I think Morris was technically a higher rated recruit out of high school than Cunningham (though hard to say since they are from 2 different classes), but had to go to JUCO because of grades/test scores.

Top Bottom