All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Maybe he does have a verbal and Morris is just keeping it quiet until he visits UAB like he promised he would do.

Although Cunningham is rated higher, it does seem as if Morris is an overall better shooter and scorer. Cunningham is more of an athlete that can rebound and play defense. If Pitino is looking for a guard that can score and shoot the 3, he may actually prefer Morris.

Yeah, it would also help even out the classes since Morris would be here for two years and graduate with Wally and Joey King. Also, I think Morris was technically a higher rated recruit out of high school than Cunningham (though hard to say since they are from 2 different classes), but had to go to JUCO because of grades/test scores.

All good points. I'd be happy to see either of them commit, or both actually if we didn't still have an outside chance at Vaughn.

Literally never even heard of the guy. Hargrave is where Buggs went, correct?

Literally never even heard of the guy. Hargrave is where Buggs went, correct?

Not sure how serious they were after Rashard Kelly. 247 had the Gophers listed as one of the teams that offered him. Rivals did not list him as being offered. He was a just a name that I was keeping an eye on.

Good memory on Buggs.

Carlos Morris twitter profile pic has him wearing a gopher hat... He may commit soon as expected

Trevon Bluiett decommitted from UCLA today. Rumor has it he's considering Xavier even though they're full for 2014.

If you read between the lines that means J.P. Macura may soon become available. Just a rumor.

I won't be surprised if the Gophers end up with Macura. Just get the feeling that commitment (like many others across the country) isn't set in stone.

I won't be surprised if the Gophers end up with Macura. Just get the feeling that commitment (like many others across the country) isn't set in stone.

I'd love to see JP here, but would we have room for him if Morris commits?

Trevon Bluiett decommitted from UCLA today. Rumor has it he's considering Xavier even though they're full for 2014.

If you read between the lines that means J.P. Macura may soon become available. Just a rumor.

Didn't Bluiett just commit less than a month ago? Interesting. I'd be happy if Macura ended up with the Gophers. I wonder what that does with Morris though? Or if Morris commits in the meantime, would Macura even consider the Gophers?

If we can't have a Tum Tum, we'll get us some squirrel.

Anyone coming in named Flounder or anything?

I'd rather have a Pinto than a Flounder myself; which of these roll off the tongue?

Rashad "Pinto" Vaughn
Tyus "Pinto" Jones
Reid "Pinto" Travis
JP "Pinto" Macura
????

Glad if it's true that the dream's not dead. Would LOVE to get Macura into the fold. Hear that, JP!?!

Would be happy with any of Macura, Morris, or Cunningham. Probably only take 1 though to keep the Vaughn dream alive.

per Amelia:

Any updates on Gueye? Any new targets the Gophers are looking at?

Jim

Abdoulaye Gueye could still be a possibility for the Gophers, and they still like him very much. To my knowledge, there is still no official visit set up right now. Other focuses for Minnesota right now include Chicago wing Josh Cunningham (visiting next weekend), Carlos Morris and of course, the local Big Three -- Tyus Jones, Reid Travis and Rashad Vaughn. I think with many recruits off the board, the Gophers staff is taking a good look at the field right now. We could see some new targets emerge in the next couple of weeks.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/226500581.html

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Montrose Christian senior combo guard Nate Mason says he will take an official visit to Minnesota next weekend. Was at UVa this weekend.</p>— Chris Horne (@ChrisHorneSW) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisHorneSW/statuses/387013585865437184">October 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Kansas State, Minnesota, and UVa are the finalists for Mason, who should have a decision pretty soon after this weekend's trip to Minnesota.</p>— Chris Horne (@ChrisHorneSW) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisHorneSW/statuses/387013725665775616">October 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would be pretty sweet to get Mason. I would guess it would close the door on the slight chance we have on Vaughn, but that's fine with me. I have a bad feeling that Andre may go to the NBA this year, so a talented combo guard in this class would go a long way.

Would be pretty sweet to get Mason. I would guess it would close the door on the slight chance we have on Vaughn, but that's fine with me. I have a bad feeling that Andre may go to the NBA this year, so a talented combo guard in this class would go a long way.

Ah, more likely we close the door with Tyus. Mason and Vaughn are nothing like each other.

Ah, more likely we close the door with Tyus. Mason and Vaughn are nothing like each other.

Fair enough. I was thinking we didn't have a chance at Tyus anyway. If we hit on Mason and Morris, I would guess we'd be set at guard though?

Fair enough. I was thinking we didn't have a chance at Tyus anyway. If we hit on Mason and Morris, I would guess we'd be set at guard though?

From all accounts it looks like Pitino would prefer a PG, Wing, Wing, and PF. This is assuming we don't get all 3 of the in-state recruits. We already have a PF so if we get Mason, I'd assume we'd still have two openings for wings. That would change if we landed Reid in addition to Martin.

From all accounts it looks like Pitino would prefer a PG, Wing, Wing, and PF. This is assuming we don't get all 3 of the in-state recruits. We already have a PF so if we get Mason, I'd assume we'd still have two openings for wings. That would change if we landed Reid in addition to Martin.

I thought we had 5 open scholarships?

Both KSU and UVA brought in 2 PG's for 2013. I think they were all 3* recruits, but that alone should make the Gophers a bit more attractive.

Both KSU and UVA brought in 2 PG's for 2013. I think they were all 3* recruits, but that alone should make the Gophers a bit more attractive.

Has anybody confirmed locally that Mason is coming in for an official visit this weekend? 247 has him visiting on 10/11/2013

(sorry if I missed it somewhere else)

Top Bottom