All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

Like I keep repeating, not to bring GopherNation down, but I really think we need to be worried about landing 1 recruit before we can talk about the potential for 2-3 of them. Hope that starts with Martin next week!

Well, Michigan State got better today. Meanwhile Northwestern somehow has the #12 class in the country in ESPN's rankings right now. Northwestern for crying out loud! Illinois is 7th. These are the teams we'll be competing with the next few years in the middle of the pack in the conference.

Here is how the B1G arms-race looks as of 15 minutes ago on ESPN.com. Actually, according to them, Nebraska has no verbals either. I manually types all of this (warning). [EDIT]

OHIO STATE
D'Angelo Russel, SG *****
Keita Bates-Diop SF *****
Jae'Sean Tate, SF ****
David Bell C ***

NORTHWESTERN
Victor Law, SF *****
Bryant McIntosh, SG ****
Scott Lindsey, SG ***
Gavin Skelly, PF ***

ILLINOIS
Quentin Snider, PG *****
Leron Black, PF ****
Michael Finke, PF ***

MICHIGAN
Ricky Doyle, C ****
Austin Hatch, SF *

MICHIGAN STATE
Lourawls Narin, PG ****

PENN STATE
Shep Garner, PG ***
Isaiah Washington SG, **

PURDUE
Vincent Edwards SF ****
Dakota Mathias SG ***

INDIANA
Robert Johnson, SG ****

WISCONSIN
Ethan Happ PF ***

NEBRASKA
Jacob Hammond, C ***

IOWA
Brady Ellingson, SG **

MINNESOTA
---

Crystal Ball predicts where programs stand with recruits in real-time, not where they'll end up (the name can be misleading). I think Indiana might offer LaChance, so I wouldn't get too excited.

Amelia with her analysis of where we stand with recruits for 2014:

1. Josh Martin – This weekend’s official to Pittsburgh will obviously be the wildcard with the Seattle PF, but right now, I think Minnesota’s chances are looking good.
2. Riley LaChance – The interest is there for Wisconsin’s LaChance, and it could come down to Minnesota and Iowa. If Tum Tum goes off the board, this could be your PG of the future.
3. Josh Cunningham – This relationship only seems to be growing: the Chicago wing will visit in October.
4. Carlos Morris – It looks like the JUCO guard could be in town this weekend. Seton Hall is Morris’ only visit so far, and the additions of a couple SGs by the Pirates (including Isaiah Whitehead) seem to take them out of contention.
5. Abdoulaye Gueye – Auburn will be involved, but the Gophers got in early with the Birmingham, Ala. big and have made steady progress.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/225254071.html

Go Gophers!!

No Milik Yarbrough?

Crystal Ball predicts where programs stand with recruits in real-time, not where they'll end up (the name can be misleading). I think Indiana might offer LaChance, so I wouldn't get too excited.

Understood, which is why I said FWIW. Was thinking the same thing about Indiana, but hoping they don't end up offering. If they don't then I like our chances.

EDIT: If Indiana does end up offering, I'd guess it'll happen really soon. If a couple days go by without them offering, I'll feel pretty good.

Understood, which is why I said FWIW. Was thinking the same thing about Indiana, but hoping they don't end up offering. If they don't then I like our chances.

EDIT: If Indiana does end up offering, I'd guess it'll happen really soon. If a couple days go by without them offering, I'll feel pretty good.

I think LaChance follows his buddy to Iowa. They are just as close to home and are a program on the upswing.

I think LaChance follows his buddy to Iowa. They are just as close to home and are a program on the upswing.

That's a strong possibility. But like I mentioned elsewher, he'd have Gesell in front of him for 2 years. And their games look very similar.

Not saying he won't go to Iowa, but there is less playing time for him there. Mike Gesell is a very good, young point guard. If getting a lot of PT in his first couple years is important, that would likely make Minnesota a little more attractive.

STrib article: Gophers basketball makes inroads in recruiting, but has little to show

“Pressure is a privilege — you want to have pressure,” assistant coach Dan McHale said of the perception. “It’s always good having a passionate fan base that cares and wants us to get a great class. But we don’t panic. We’re out there, going from coast to coast, trying to find the right fit for how we want to build this. This first class is so important to us for getting the types of kids that we want. There are going to be no quick fixes.”

“I will say I noticed Minnesota more this summer than in previous summers,” CBSSports.com recruiting analyst Jeff Borzello said. “There was more excitement and more buzz about Minnesota on the recruiting trail this summer and with in-home visits and stuff like that.”

The Pitino name is a draw, Borzello said, and his diverse staff has demonstrated its worth, enticing recruits across the country rather than only locally.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/225439962.html

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Chipola (Fla.) Junior College sophomore Carlos Morris is a 6-5, 175-pound guard who averaged 13.3 points per game last year. He is being heavily recruited by the Gophers and is expected to visit here this weekend. Chipola coach Patrick Blake used to be a student manager for Rick Pitino at Louisville, which might help Gophers coach Richard Pitino in the recruiting of Morris.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/225437042.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I'm pretty sure we have Martin in the bag considering his twitter profile pic is him and a minnesota girl...

I'm pretty sure we have Martin in the bag considering his twitter profile pic is him and a minnesota girl...

I think if it were in the bag he'd have committed right away. But. Is certainly a good sign.

Anyone know what Martin is only rated 2 stars on the espn site?

STrib article: Gophers basketball makes inroads in recruiting, but has little to show

“Pressure is a privilege — you want to have pressure,” assistant coach Dan McHale said of the perception. “It’s always good having a passionate fan base that cares and wants us to get a great class. But we don’t panic. We’re out there, going from coast to coast, trying to find the right fit for how we want to build this. This first class is so important to us for getting the types of kids that we want. There are going to be no quick fixes.”

“I will say I noticed Minnesota more this summer than in previous summers,” CBSSports.com recruiting analyst Jeff Borzello said. “There was more excitement and more buzz about Minnesota on the recruiting trail this summer and with in-home visits and stuff like that.”

The Pitino name is a draw, Borzello said, and his diverse staff has demonstrated its worth, enticing recruits across the country rather than only locally.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/225439962.html

Go Gophers!!
Do not recall prior Gopher Coaches recruiting only locally...Jeffy. Recruiting worth is about getting players committed not about "enticing" them until they commit elsewhere.

Or the greatest Minnesota class we may never see, depending on ones perspective. :cry:

Go Gophers!!

It really is sad when you break it all down. Not only are all 3 from Minnesota and extremely talented, but they all play a completely different position where they could star in their own way. Tyus the unselfish floor leader, Rashad the unstoppable scorer and Reid the all around great power forward. And that's not all, it's almost like a higher power intended for them to end up in the maroon and gold. I say that because our seniors would complement them perfectly. We'd have the senior combo guard with leadership and experience in Dre Hollins. Then we also have two solid role playing senior centers in Mo and EE. You really couldn't ask for a better supporting cast to make up a starting line up around the Big 3. The bench would also be deep with guys like Buggs, Wally, Mathieu, etc. Oh well, nothing ever turns out like you hoped it would.

It really is sad when you break it all down. Not only are all 3 from Minnesota and extremely talented, but they all play a completely different position where they could star in their own way. Tyus the unselfish floor leader, Rashad the unstoppable scorer and Reid the all around great power forward. And that's not all, it's almost like a higher power intended for them to end up in the maroon and gold. I say that because our seniors would complement them perfectly. We'd have the senior combo guard with leadership and experience in Dre Hollins. Then we also have two solid role playing senior centers in Mo and EE. You really couldn't ask for a better supporting cast to make up a starting line up around the Big 3. The bench would also be deep with guys like Buggs, Wally, Mathieu, etc. Oh well, nothing ever turns out like you hoped it would.

Agreed, the pieces to a final four contender are right in front of their eyes, and they don't even seem to realize it. It's pretty dissapointing.

Possibly. The 2007 trio of Aldrich, Leuer and Mbakwe looks better in hindsight than what they were rated in that class, though.

I'd easily take this year's class (even throw in Macura). It took all of those players 4 years to go pro and none of them will probably be in the league within 3 years. Vaughn has all-star potential and Tyus at worst will likely be a 10 year vet as a back up PG. Reid will have a tough time without converting to SF, but he'll be a great college player. Who knows with Macura.

Josh Martin is currently at Pitt and tweeted "Got my mind made up"

If related to recruiting (may not be) - either Pitt is so great he's decided already or it doesn't compare to MN so he's decided.

Josh Martin is currently at Pitt and tweeted "Got my mind made up"

If related to recruiting (may not be) - either Pitt is so great he's decided already or it doesn't compare to MN so he's decided.

Yeah, could mean nothing. He's favoriting Gopher fan responses so that's gotta be good if it is in fact about his school decision. He hasn't favorited a Pitt fan response yet.

Top Bottom