All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Don't forget Norm VanBroklin.

Wasn't he hired as head coach the season directly following his retirement as a player?

You never know who's going to end up being good. I gave Larry Bird no chance, yet he turned out to be a very good NBA head coach with practically no coaching experience.

Wasn't he hired as head coach the season directly following his retirement as a player?

You never know who's going to end up being good. I gave Larry Bird no chance, yet he turned out to be a very good NBA head coach with practically no coaching experience.

Went from QB of the Eagles one year to first head coach of the Vikings the next year.

I wouldn't dismiss the Lindsey Whalen talk so quickly.

Went from QB of the Eagles one year to first head coach of the Vikings the next year.

I wouldn't dismiss the Lindsey Whalen talk so quickly.

Max Winter said he wanted to hire Grant from the get-go, but the other owners were infatuated with Van Brocklin.

Whalen just signed a multi-year extension with the Lynx last fall. I can't imagine Glen Taylor would be to eager to have the face of the franchise not honor that contract.

Looks like a Minnesota double-header on BTN today.

Ladies @ Michigan 11 AM on BTN
Northwestern @ Men 1 PM on BTN

Let's hope the women don't run late.

Watching today it certainly looks like Bailey should have been getting more playing time all along and maybe Johnson too.

Wasn't Bailey out for some reason? Injury? 16 pts so far.....season high.

Gophers looking good this half - up 10 with 11 min left.

Wasn't Bailey out for some reason? Injury? 16 pts so far.....season high.

Gophers looking good this half - up 10 with 11 min left.
Not sure maybe that is why she hasn't been playing more. Certainly looks as though she can be another weapon though on a team that definitely lacks them at times. Gophers getting good looks and converting them this half. How long did it take you to try to figure out if #22 for Michigan was actually a woman or not?

Bailey was injured I don't remember why though. She missed a lot of last year because of mono. This is a good game if you've never seen her play before, she actually probably should've gotten less playing time based on her previous games. This is BY FAR her best game as Gopher. She's scored 16 points in 10 games all season and has 16 in this game (career high). Also career high 6 assists.

Zahui not being in foul trouble is a big factor also.

Ladies playing well this half. #22 is ...........let's just say interesting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One of our fav photos from yesterday's win over Illinois! <a href="https://twitter.com/AmandaZahui">@AmandaZahui</a> broke the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> season block record with 68 <a href="http://t.co/0MoLO3hj9q">pic.twitter.com/0MoLO3hj9q</a></p>— Gophers WBasketball (@GophersWBB) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersWBB/statuses/432939931770429441">February 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How good could Amanda 'be' with some Big Mo conditioning?

How good could Amanda 'be' with some Big Mo conditioning?

Gopher women have some nice players - including Zahui, just too little depth. Not sure what's keeping Borton at the U, from the U's standpoint.

Carlie Wagner

Gopher women have some nice players - including Zahui, just too little depth. Not sure what's keeping Borton at the U, from the U's standpoint.

and the next recruiting class. One last hope.

How good are next years recruits-other than Wagner of course. Anyone?

Gophers won their 3rd straight game, beat those stinkin' Badgers 63-50.

Banham 19 pts, 4 ast
Zahui 17 pts 9 reb

Gophers now 5-6 in conference, good for 7th place. They are 1 game behind Michigan.

With 5 games left (@ Northwestern, vs Purdue, @ MSU, vs Indiana, vs OSU) they have a good shot at going 4-1 the rest of the way.

I would not attach too much significance to the incoming recruiting class. 5 of the last 7 classes have been rated in the top 30-40 in the nation, 2 or 3 of them in the top 20, and it never seems to help. The question is not the recruiting so much, though one certainly could quibble about it. But it's the development of those players after the get here. They never seem to improve. Over the past 5-6 years we've had senior-laden teams finish 7th, 8th, 9th. The recruiting is maybe a B or B-. The actual coaching is more like a D now over the past 6-8 years.

I would not attach too much significance to the incoming recruiting class. 5 of the last 7 classes have been rated in the top 30-40 in the nation, 2 or 3 of them in the top 20, and it never seems to help. The question is not the recruiting so much, though one certainly could quibble about it. But it's the development of those players after the get here. They never seem to improve. Over the past 5-6 years we've had senior-laden teams finish 7th, 8th, 9th. The recruiting is maybe a B or B-. The actual coaching is more like a D now over the past 6-8 years.

Do you think Borton will be gone after this season?

If she can beat the 3 creampuffs (Northwestern, Indiana, Ohio State) she has left on her schedule and splits with the 2 good opponents (Purdue, MSU), she very well may save her job with a NCAA bid.

Is that a good thing? Or would the late run beating up on the middlin'/bottom Big Ten opponents be a case of fool's gold?

That would make for a tough call for Teague. Seems like our AD had a very similar decision to make last March?

If she can beat the 3 creampuffs (Northwestern, Indiana, Ohio State) she has left on her schedule and splits with the 2 good opponents (Purdue, MSU), she very well may save her job with a NCAA bid.

Is that a good thing? Or would the late run beating up on the middlin'/bottom Big Ten opponents be a case of fool's gold?

That would make for a tough call for Teague. Seems like our AD had a very similar decision to make last March?

Teague was recently quoted as saying even a trip to the sweet 16 would not of saved Tubby's job.

If the firing of Tubby is an indication that higher standards are now the norm then she will be gone.

Two of the three creampuffs are at home, plus Purdue (who is missing a key player due to an ACL). All 3 creampuffs should be W's and I think they can beat Purdue at home. A 9-7 B1G season is a possibility.

On another note, it took Borton way too long to figure out that Riche was not a PF. Inserting Hirt into the starting lineup was a good move.

Gophers struggling in one they probably need to win at Northwestern down late in the 1st half on BTN, Gopher defense is almost non-existent.

Gophers win 82-64 over Northwestern for their 4th straight win. Gophers only had 7 healthy players today and went on a late run to open the game up.

They looked a hell of a lot better than the Gopher men on the road, thats for sure. Women are .500 in the league and NCAA tourney looking realistic. What happened to the bench?

I still want Borton fired. I don't care if they make the tournament. Unless she makes the Final Four she needs to go.

Top Bottom