All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

They looked a hell of a lot better than the Gopher men on the road, thats for sure. Women are .500 in the league and NCAA tourney looking realistic. What happened to the bench?
Thought I heard them say Johnson is out with a torn ACL and Mullaney is still dealing with post concussion issues.

Be careful what you wish for....

Wisconsin is pining for Lisa Stone right about now. My hope is that Borton makes the tourney this year, setting them up for a bigger run next year.

Not interested in flipping another coach.

How can a Big Ten team have only 10 scholarship players?

While I am not a big Borton fan, how about supporting the Gopher Women???

But you dudes just want everyone fired. Makes sense to me.

While I am not a big Borton fan, how about supporting the Gopher Women???

But you dudes just want everyone fired. Makes sense to me.

Here's the deal: we've had the best (Oldfield) and now we've settled for a second- or third-rate coach for years, and I guess we consider that good enough and the best we can do. Oldfield filled the Barn, and now we sit here with a smattering of fans and say, oh well. The question is whether we can do better, or whether we just continue to settle for this. The answer is that we CAN do better because we have done better, but for some reason we're OK with worse - the status quo. The complacency and laziness of Minnesota sports fans just astounds me. Borton should be an assistant coach somewhere, not a major-conference head coach.

Here's the deal: we've had the best (Oldfield) and now we've settled for a second- or third-rate coach for years, and I guess we consider that good enough and the best we can do. Oldfield filled the Barn, and now we sit here with a smattering of fans and say, oh well. The question is whether we can do better, or whether we just continue to settle for this. The answer is that we CAN do better because we have done better, but for some reason we're OK with worse - the status quo. The complacency and laziness of Minnesota sports fans just astounds me. Borton should be an assistant coach somewhere, not a major-conference head coach.

Keep in mind that Brenda Oldfield pulled a Lou Holtz trick on us, and used us. I am still pissed at both of them.

Keep in mind that Brenda Oldfield pulled a Lou Holtz trick on us, and used us. I am still pissed at both of them.

Both of them left to go to what they considered better jobs. You can be sad or upset but you can not fault them for that.

If she can beat the 3 creampuffs (Northwestern, Indiana, Ohio State) she has left on her schedule and splits with the 2 good opponents (Purdue, MSU), she very well may save her job with a NCAA bid.

Is that a good thing? Or would the late run beating up on the middlin'/bottom Big Ten opponents be a case of fool's gold?

That would make for a tough call for Teague. Seems like our AD had a very similar decision to make last March?

Borton lost all momentum when what was it, 5 players quit on her in the one offseason after a Tourney appearance, if I recall correctly. That was devastating to the womens' program, and it never recovered. Part of her job, whether the players quitting was her fault or not, was to correct the problem, and it's been a long time since the Gopher women were more than just a mediocre team. This includes several years with some outstanding players; just too little support. The team appears to have 2 outstanding players this year, now that Zahui is really coming along; and some quality support such that they could put a run together. If they do, and with Carlie Wagner coming next year, perhaps you give Borton another chance. If they can't make the tournament this year, I'd say nice effort but time to go in a new direction. Womens' basketball in the state is too good for the only D1 state program to be so mediocre.

By the way, I understand Wagner was a nice recruiting signee. How about the others in the upcoming class? I thought I noticed that Wagner was the only Minnesota girl to stay at the home school, which bothers me unless the other recruits were good gets.

Correction on Oldfield

I am as disappointed with the recent lack of success as the rest but I did want to offer some clarification.

Brenda Oldfield was successful in her one season here because she cleared the air after an oppressive Littlejohn regime. The players, the majority of which she didn't recruit, loosened up and had fun again. Brenda parlayed that into a gig at Maryland where she felt she had a better opportunity to recruit.

Oldfield's reign was so short that it is hard for me to gauge her exact impact on the program other than giving hope for the first time in a decade. Borton took the players that had started to develop confidence, added some defensive acumen, and coaxed this group to the Final Four within two years. Borton had the U in the top twenty nationally for attendance for six years following Oldfield.

I have been a U of M Women's Basketball fan for over 20 years. I have seen the lows (really, really lows!) of the program and the highs. While Borton may not be everyone's favorite, the last decade is sadly the best we've ever seen.

To put the program's history in perspective, Borton's worst season of 12-18 in 2010-11 was better than all but 7 seasons in the Big Ten era. Of 21 seasons of Big Ten era basketball before her, 14 seasons were worse! In the six seasons from 95-01, we had a TOTAL of 8 Big Ten wins. And somehow I stuck with it!

Like last year, I have a feeling this decision was made weeks ago and only an unexpected NCAA run (Sweet 16?) will change it.

There is too much talent in the State that leaves for Borton too continue. Her coaching mechanics are some of the worst in the B1G. She has made a mess out of one of her better players in Roche. The buyout is around 300,000.00.
In some area's inside the AD Pam has been a pain in the ass. Tubby had too share Williams Arena practice time with
Pam, as she refused to practice in the Sports Pavilion. If Tubby had something remodeled Pam was in knocking on
Maturi ' s door. Maturi, not wanting to upset Pam's lesbian inner circle who made major contributions to the Rider
Arena and the boat house , would bend over. I hope Woody is ready to give the pink slip

There is too much talent in the State that leaves for Borton too continue. Her coaching mechanics are some of the worst in the B1G. She has made a mess out of one of her better players in Roche. The buyout is around 300,000.00.
In some area's inside the AD Pam has been a pain in the ass. Tubby had too share Williams Arena practice time with
Pam, as she refused to practice in the Sports Pavilion. If Tubby had something remodeled Pam was in knocking on
Maturi ' s door. Maturi, not wanting to upset Pam's lesbian inner circle who made major contributions to the Rider
Arena and the boat house , would bend over. I hope Woody is ready to give the pink slip

There is something to this lesbian mafia. I've got a good friend who was a varsity women's golfer back in the day and keeps up with the goings on on the inside over there. That's what she talks about from time to time.

There is something to this lesbian mafia. I've got a good friend who was a varsity women's golfer back in the day and keeps up with the goings on on the inside over there. That's what she talks about from time to time.

Let's hear a little more guys. Be specific. Open the can of worms.

What's with the heavily wrapped legs? It's more than just padding, they look almost like leg warmers. It is a trendy fashion thing? If so it only seems to be among the Gophers. I don't see other teams doing it.

Gophers appear in the latest Bracketology today as an #11 seed playing #6 Gonzaga in College Park, MD. A win versus Purdue on Thursday is a must.

The Gophers sneak into the field riding a four-game winning streak. A win over either Purdue or Michigan State in their next two would go a long way to keeping them in.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/bracketology

Reusse says Borton will have to win two NCAA tournament games to keep her job.

Reusse has been trending downward on his predictions lately though.

Reusse says Borton will have to win two NCAA tournament games to keep her job.Reusse has been trending downward on his predictions lately though.

The comment above--The decision has already been made--SHOULD be true. This one COULD be true. Borton's fate has already been decided not only by Teague but in reality by all the great Minnesota HS kids who did not want to play for Pam.

I do think that there will be tremendous pressure on Norwood to hire a woman coach.

Honestly, give the lesbian mafia schtick a rest. Seriously.
Borton is a good coach; Minnesota has some decent in-state talent, she gets some of them.

Pitino will not get elite in-state talent either.

You think Norwood is going to screen for sexual orientation? Good luck with that...

Honestly, give the lesbian mafia schtick a rest. Seriously.
Borton is a good coach; Minnesota has some decent in-state talent, she gets some of them.

Pitino will not get elite in-state talent either.

Why not?

Gophers getting thumped by Purdue. Down by 19 with about 6 minutes to play. Banham 1 for 16.

Sorry. You made the assertion. It should be your burden to support it. In my view - the Illinois game notwithstanding - Pitino has demonstrated his ability to energize his players, and help them improve. Minnesota, moreover, has good academics, the Twin Cities has a lot going for it, and players often like to stay home, if for no other reason, than to give their friends and family a greater opportunity to watch them play. Kill got Jeff Jones, and Pitino should be able to get elite Minnesota players as well. You have the burden of proving why he won't be able to do that.

Top Bottom