All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Maturi may very well have realized it was time for Borton to go. Problem was he always felt it was best to extend coaches before firing them.:cool02:

It's funny because it's true.

Maturi may very well have realized it was time for Borton to go. Problem was he always felt it was best to extend coaches before firing them.:cool02:

Leave it to station19 to help us make sense out of nonsense. Thank you, station19!!!

There is something odd about the Maturi-Borton dynamic. Didn’t they agree to her previous extension while sitting on a porch swing over looking Lake Como (the one in Italy near Clooney’s place, not the one in St. Paul)? Either he sees something in her that few others can see or she has some well connected supporters.

There is something odd about the Maturi-Borton dynamic. Didn’t they agree to her previous extension while sitting on a porch swing over looking Lake Como (the one in Italy near Clooney’s place, not the one in St. Paul)? Either he sees something in her that few others can see or she has some well connected supporters.

A challenge? :rolleyes:

Reusse: Without turnaround, Borton's fate at U could mirror Tubby's

On Tuesday, Teague was asked what would’ve occurred with Tubby if the Gophers had beaten Florida and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen a year ago. Quietly, with no bluster, Teague said:

“One more win wouldn’t have changed the decision.”

Teague is staying level-headed on Borton, so I’m offering this as an opinion with no input from the athletic director:

Borton would be able to save her job with a trip to the Sweet Sixteen — and that’s also what it is going to take.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/242510461.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

medical-paperwork-papers-working-works-death-rde4359l.jpg

Gophers fall to Iowa 64-56 at The Barn.

Now 2-6 in Big Ten.

I hear Norwood commin.

It's time for a change. The last two losses have been an embarrassment.

Can't believe I'm actually admitting I turned on the radio for a women's basketball game, but I turned on the Gopher game at the very end and, did I hear booing from the sparse crowd? That's very unusual for a women's game, isn't it? Not a good a sign for Borton if her team is playing so poorly that even her 3,000 best friends are voicing their displeasure.

I'm no expert on the Gopher women's team, but going into this season I didn't think there was any way they could avoid qualifying for the NCAA field, especially with the new freshman. From what I saw of the complementary players last year and projecting some improvement from them, I figured the pieces were in place. This start to the conference schedule just has me dumbfounded.

And they're 2-6 in a conference that sucks in women's basketball. A lot of decent teams but none capable of doing anything beyond winning a game or at most two in the NCAA tourney.

Finally, on the WBB board there is finally a thread called

Time for a Change

That site might be a good place for names of the next coach, since they are more plugged in to WBB.

Can't believe I'm actually admitting I turned on the radio for a women's basketball game, but I turned on the Gopher game at the very end and, did I hear booing from the sparse crowd? That's very unusual for a women's game, isn't it? Not a good a sign for Borton if her team is playing so poorly that even her 3,000 best friends are voicing their displeasure.

Not sure when you turned it on, but by the end there weren't that many people left to boo. Also, those aren't her "best friends." She has very, very few of them left. You're not the only one dumbfounded, Bad Gopher. At the beginning of this year, I figured you could just about pencil us into the tournament. I've gone from being a season ticket holder since Whalen's second year to now going to a couple of games and not being that upset when they lose. I now fully expect it, and I assume it will get Borton fired.

Thanks Mulligan. I feel especially bad for Banham. I'd like to see her get the opportunity to display her immense talents in the NCAA tourney instead of the B(orton)NIT before her career is over, but it's not looking good right now.

Whalen as head women's coach makes me cringe the same way those who longed for Trent Tucker as head men's coach made me cringe. No disrespect to either of those Gopher greats, but what has either one done to get handed a Big Ten head coaching gig?

Whalen as head women's coach makes me laugh the same way those who longed for Trent Tucker as head men's coach made me laugh. No disrespect to either of those Gopher greats, but what has either one done to get handed a Big Ten head coaching gig?

FWIW, Jason Kidd was handed an NBA gig (!!!!!) the season after he retired.

So while I am not sure how good the Kidd hire will turn out to be, it isn't completely ludicrous to suggest Whalen could coach here as soon as she retires/is done playing.

Remember when we all though Marc Trestman wasn't qualified to coach the Gophers turns out even he was qualified enough to coach in the NFL.

Our qualifications are far different sometimes than the bosses qualifications.

FWIW, Jason Kidd was handed an NBA gig (!!!!!) the season after he retired.

So while I am not sure how good the Kidd hire will turn out to be, it isn't completely ludicrous to suggest Whalen could coach here as soon as she retires/is done playing.

Remember when we all though Marc Trestman wasn't qualified to coach the Gophers turns out even he was qualified enough to coach in the NFL.

Our qualifications are far different sometimes than the bosses qualifications.

Don't forget Norm VanBroklin.

I hear Tess Steckel got herself into some pretty compromising situations. (ba dump bump)

per Shooter:

If the Gophers make a women's basketball coaching change, it'll be interesting whether they try to entice icon alumnus Lindsay Whalen, 31, to consider the job for at least double the salaries she's making now playing for the Lynx and in Russia.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_25031577/charley-walters-wilds-craig-leipold-impressed-by-wolves

Go Gophers!!

Shooter about every MN job opening: Don't be surprised if they consider: Marc Trestman/Tony Dungy/Mike Grant/Flip Saunders/Eric Mussleman/Paul Molitor/Jack Morris/Jake Mauer/Billy Mauer/Joe Mauer or any other Minnesotan I once knew in passing. And if they don't, they're idiots.

Shooter about every MN job opening: Don't be surprised if they consider: Marc Trestman/Tony Dungy/Mike Grant/Flip Saunders/Eric Mussleman/Paul Molitor/Jack Morris/Jake Mauer/Billy Mauer/Joe Mauer or any other Minnesotan I once knew in passing. And if they don't, they're idiots.

Shooter dropping numerous names everywhere, he is bound to hit one sometime.

Top Bottom