All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Station is right. This is from a Marcus article a year ago. She now has 2 years left.

Essentially, in extending the contract, the university covered Borton for an additional two years' worth of buyout compensation. Under terms of the contract extension, if she were to be dismissed after this season, the university would owe her $167,500 per season for the remaining three years of her contract (a bit more than $500,000 total). Borton's previous extension signed in 2008 was to expire after the 2013-14 season, but the amendment signed by Maturi on June 15 made it valid until 2015-16.

But have to believe Pam is gone unless Teague doesn't care about the women's program at all, which I doubt. Average attendance well above 9,000 at one point and an atmosphere pretty close to the men's program to games with fewer than 2,000. Die hard Gopher's women fans are a hell of a lot more disgusted with Borton than people were with Tubby. He still had his supporters; very hard to find anybody for Borton.

She had a highly rated class (Buford, Voight, Mastey) several years ago that finished 6-10 in the conference as seniors. If Borton is the coach next year, don't assume Banham is going to have another great year. She might be out of a different mold, but Borton's seniors have almost unanimously had disappointing final years. Norwood has to be aware of all this.

Lindsey as coach talk is pretty silly. Would create a buzz but come on. No experience and she is in the prime of her own playing career.

Pam should have been gone the year that five players quit the team. That doesn't happen in a program that is functioning properly.

In hindsight I agree. I gave her a second chance and she blackened my heart.

Station is right. This is from a Marcus article a year ago. She now has 2 years left.

Essentially, in extending the contract, the university covered Borton for an additional two years' worth of buyout compensation. Under terms of the contract extension, if she were to be dismissed after this season, the university would owe her $167,500 per season for the remaining three years of her contract (a bit more than $500,000 total). Borton's previous extension signed in 2008 was to expire after the 2013-14 season, but the amendment signed by Maturi on June 15 made it valid until 2015-16.

But have to believe Pam is gone unless Teague doesn't care about the women's program at all, which I doubt. Average attendance well above 9,000 at one point and an atmosphere pretty close to the men's program to games with fewer than 2,000. Die hard Gopher's women fans are a hell of a lot more disgusted with Borton than people were with Tubby. He still had his supporters; very hard to find anybody for Borton.

She had a highly rated class (Buford, Voight, Mastey) several years ago that finished 6-10 in the conference as seniors. If Borton is the coach next year, don't assume Banham is going to have another great year. She might be out of a different mold, but Borton's seniors have almost unanimously had disappointing final years. Norwood has to be aware of all this.

Lindsey as coach talk is pretty silly. Would create a buzz but come on. No experience and she is in the prime of her own playing career.

I hope you're right on the bold. I can't believe the buyout would stand in the way. Pretty easy to make up that amount when you are having less than 2,000 per game.

Borton being out-coached again. Now on BTN vs Wisconsin.

Apparently Banham benches 195 lbs...There are varsity football players who can't do that....

Watched the game. The big Swede was out of wack. Wonder if she wasn't feeling well. She had foul trouble, but Borton didn't even have her in at the end of the game.

Watched the game. The big Swede was out of wack. Wonder if she wasn't feeling well. She had foul trouble, but Borton didn't even have her in at the end of the game.

Good question. Seemed as though they were just playing better without her towards the end of the game.

She has really been struggling in B1G play with fouls, more so than in the non-conference. Riche was doing well back in the C position last night and Wisconsin's posts may have been too quick to put Zahui back in + they didn't really need her.

Updated standings:

Code:
Penn State	5-1	14-4
Michigan	4-2	13-6
Michigan State	4-2	12-7
Nebraska	3-2	13-4
Purdue	        4-3	14-5
Iowa	        3-3	15-5
Ohio State	3-3	13-9
Indiana	        2-4	15-4
Minnesota	2-4	13-7
Northwestern	2-4	12-7
Wisconsin	2-4	9-9
Illinois	2-4	9-10

Last night was the first time that I've watched more than 10 minutes of a game this year and, outside of Banham, the team look like a reasonably competitive high school team. No athletes. Even Zahui's game seemed to offer nothing other than size.

Who is the better player? Banham or Whalen? we all know who had the better team.

This is horrendous. Banham has 14 points, Hirt 8, rest of team ZERO!

Looks like it is basically Banham and Hirt against Penn State today. Zahui and Riche are horrible inside and Noga isn't doing much offensively. I'm also not sure how or why that McDaniel got a scholarship because she doesn't seem to have any basketball skills at all, most NSIC players could contribute more than she does when she gets in. Does Borton coach defense at all or really do any coaching at all?

Looks like it is basically Banham and Hirt against Penn State today. Zahui and Riche are horrible inside and Noga isn't doing much offensively. Does Borton coach defense at all or really do any coaching at all?

I'd go with the latter.

Come on, guys. We are half the team Penn State is. We have half the quality players Penn State has. We have NO coach that Penn State has.

Woody, don't just pull the plug on Borton, flush it down the drain.

Borton has decimated this program and failed to close the borders. Teague HAS to make a change, doesn't he? He can't be this blind. Hire Whalen...she's probably not ready but just imagine the recruiting prowess she would bring to the table.

I love how there are 4 top 100 recruits this year in the state of Minnesota for women's basketball and Borton has offered ONE of them. Her program is absolutely trash and there are 3 top 100 recruits in her own state whom she doesn't offer? (Elbert, Coley, and McMorris) I can't take anyone besides Banham in this program seriously right now.

Borton has no F-ing clue on defense. It took her about a half a season to make the big Swede a head case. They're
doubling the Swede down low. Bring her up high and let her rotate low so she doesn't get two teamed. Ridiculous!

Is there any chance twolves play by play guy, and former gopher Jim Petersen being interested in the job? He is an assistant with the Lynx so he has know how in the women's game, not sure how he'd do with recruiting, but I guess he can sell how successful the lynx have been while he was on the staff to recruits. I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess

Was that Zahui's first bucket and she is yelling in the Penn State girls face? She does realize her team is losing by 20+ and that she has been horrible right?

Guy, now that is an interesting name-drop. Well done.

Is there any chance twolves play by play guy, and former gopher Jim Petersen being interested in the job? He is an assistant with the Lynx so he has know how in the women's game, not sure how he'd do with recruiting, but I guess he can sell how successful the lynx have been while he was on the staff to recruits. I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess

I kind of wondered about that also.

What a poorly coached team... And while Kayla Hirt takes alot a shots, she's no better than anyone else on the team. She misses a TON. Best chance of winning games from now on is just letting Banham shoot every time, and that's just a really crappy strategy.

I love how there are 4 top 100 recruits this year in the state of Minnesota for women's basketball and Borton has offered ONE of them. Her program is absolutely trash and there are 3 top 100 recruits in her own state whom she doesn't offer? (Elbert, Coley, and McMorris) I can't take anyone besides Banham in this program seriously right now.

Thanks. I don't follow their recruiting as much as some others do. Can you tell me where the others you mentioned are going?

This game would be a lot more fun to watch if they just let Banham and Lucas play 1-on-1 and took the other 8 players off the floor Gophers would actually have a chance then too.

Thanks. I don't follow their recruiting as much as some others do. Can you tell me where the others you mentioned are going?

Yep no problem! Coley and McMorris are going to be Iowa Hawkeyes (5th in Big Ten) and Elbert is going to Marquette (4th in Big East).

Top Bottom