All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

She has no system, so what the hell. Norwood, pull the plug and and pay the $$$. Encourage Lindsay Whalen to take it over.

+1 There is no system. There would be no excuse for the Gophers not to make the tournament next year with Banham, Wagner, and Zahui all in the starting lineup.

why expend the political capital for a sport that no one cares about. I'd be happy if Norwood was able to move the games and practices to the Pavilion, even if it meant a 5 year extension for Borton.

GopherSports: Banham Named to Wooden Award Top 20

University of Minnesota junior guard Rachel Banham has been named to the John R. Wooden Award Women's Midseason Top 20, as announced by the Los Angeles Athletic Club. The list, which is selected by the Wooden Award National Advisory Board, is made up of 20 student-athletes who are the front-runners for college basketball's most prestigious award based on their individual performances and team records. Banham is one of three Big Ten players on the list, joining Nebraska's Jordan Hooper and Penn State's Maggie Lucas.

A native of Lakeville, Minn., Banham leads the Big Ten and ranks 14th nationally with a 22.5 points-per-game average, while also ranking eighth in the NCAA with a .472 three-point field goal percentage and 382 total points on the season. Additionally, Banham leads the Big Ten with 11 20-point performances and three 30-point performances this year, and ranks in the top-10 in the league in free throw percentage (.864), three-point field goals made (2.9) and assist turnover ratio (1.7).

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011814aad.html

Go Gophers!!

01-17-2014, 08:52 PMjamalo
why expend the political capital for a sport that no one cares about. I'd be happy if Norwood was able to move the games and practices to the Pavilion, even if it meant a 5 year extension for Borton.

No one cares because Coach Pam has driven the program back to the Littlejohn era. From 14,000 fans down to 2000 fans. So SAD.

Translation: You don't care about the women's BB team so no one else should either. Right?

Gophers lose at Indiana 83-78 in OT.
Banham had 29 again, Zahui 25, Hirt 14.

Gophers tied with Illinois for worst conference record at 1-4.

I think the Minnesota woman have too much talent to have the record that they have. It's time for a coaching change.

Go get Aaron Johnstone, the South Dakota State coach. Hard to argue with what he's done there.

Go get Aaron Johnstone, the South Dakota State coach. Hard to argue with what he's done there.

That is the route Norwood should take. A successful coach at a lower D-1 conference school. It doesn't have to be Johnston, but he or she should have a resume of success at coaching at the D-1 level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As an SDSU alumnus, if he goes anywhere else I would want it to be the Gophers.

Also, it's Johnston.

With the talent in Minnesota the basketball team should mirror the hockey team in at least winning their division.
Once again the Gophers play horrible defense against the slug bugs at Indiana.

As a rule, I tend to support whomever is the current coach until they otherwise prove me wrong.

Borton has proven me wrong. Time to pull the rug out, Mr. Teague. Do it now, and we can encourage Lindsey Whalen to retire from the Lynx and take over the program.

GO WHALEN!!!

Also, it's Johnston.

The sooner the better. In the meantime, Ted Riverso is highly qualified and should be put in charge of the team to try and salvage the season. He won a national title at St. Thomas and actually stands up as an outstanding candidate for the permanent job when it's filled in the off season.

Between what she earns in the WNBA plus more importantly by playing overseas , she is not going to take that paycut until her playing days are over. Then after a couple years of being an assistant , she would make an excellent candidate to coach the Gophers.

The sooner the better. In the meantime, Ted Riverso is highly qualified and should be put in charge of the team to try and salvage the season. He won a national title at St. Thomas and actually stands up as an outstanding candidate for the permanent job when it's filled in the off season.

Why wait. Pull the plug.

Pam should have been gone the year that five players quit the team. That doesn't happen in a program that is functioning properly.

Did we ever figure out why Maturi gave her a secret two year extension?

Women's BB may not be the most high profile sport at the U, but that has to be one of Maturi's most stupid decisions.

Did we ever figure out why Maturi gave her a secret two year extension?

Women's BB may not be the most high profile sport at the U, but that has to be one of Maturi's numerous stupid decisions.

FIFY, 19.

Also, it's Johnston.

My appologies. I was so worried about the 't' I messed it up. Either way, Sid could pronounce it, which is a positive. :cool:

I get that everyone loves Lindsey. But just as I wouldn't want Bobby Jackson coaching the men's team (scandal issues aside) I don't get why everyone assumes she'd be great. As an assistant? Sure. To hire her directly from playing to coaching in the B1G? No thanks.

I get that everyone loves Lindsey. But just as I wouldn't want Bobby Jackson coaching the men's team (scandal issues aside) I don't get why everyone assumes she'd be great. As an assistant? Sure. To hire her directly from playing to coaching in the B1G? No thanks.

Would you take Pam Borton over Lindsey?

Would you take Pam Borton over Lindsey?

I reject the notion of that being the choice. But no. Lindsey would create buzz and sell tickets. But there's a high % chance it wouldn't work out. And has she ever even said she would want the job? I just think we latch onto these things (Dungy! Flip! Dungy!) a little too easily sometimes.

I reject the notion of that being the choice. But no. Lindsey would create buzz and sell tickets. But there's a high % chance it wouldn't work out. And has she ever even said she would want the job? I just think we latch onto these things (Dungy! Flip! Dungy!) a little too easily sometimes.

I know what you are saying but I think Lindsey is a much more realistic choice.

The real question is how long will Borton be around? Looks like she has two years left on her contract and a buyout would cost around about 335,000 at this point. Her record and the interest in the program are pretty bad. Will Teague pull the plug this year?

I was doing a Google search and found this intersting site.
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...oach-Borton-contract-extension-on-his-way-out

I don't think Woody pulls the trigger until the contact is up. Pam has a top recruiting class coming in next year to work in with Banham and the Swede.

Top Bottom