All Things 2013-2014 Gopher Womens Season Thread

Minnesota Scene: U center Zahui B. receives two Big Ten awards

"Amanda Zahui B., a 6-5 center for the Gophers, was named the Big Ten’s co-player of the week and freshman of the week in women’s basketball. Zahui B. had 25 points, 16 rebounds and three steals — all career highs — as the Gophers routed Oakland on Sunday.

She is averaging 11.2 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game, both Big Ten highs."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/238331951.html

How does a team with Banham and Zahui lose 81-56 at home? What a terrible start to the Big 10 season.

Banham horrible shooting game 6-19. Andre Hollins horrible game. Get the picture!

I really wish I could get behind the Women's team, but women's sports are just too damn boring.

I'm just going to rip off the band-aid. This. Team. Is. Trash. With the exception of two players who really succeed on an individual level, they are horrible.

I'm just going to rip off the band-aid. This. Team. Is. Trash. With the exception of two players who really succeed on an individual level, they are horrible.

Ya, but Borton says they can contend for the title. I hope you're already looking for a young and upcoming women's coach, Norwood.

Ya, but Borton says they can contend for the title. I hope you're already looking for a young and upcoming women's coach, Norwood.

Just a matter of when Lindsey wants to end her playing career.

Gophers blew out Northwestern 94-59 at The Barn today. Banham had 28, Noga 17, Mullaney 13. Former Hopkins star Nia Coffey had 19 for Northwestern on 6-21 FG. MSU the remaining unbeaten in the league at 3-0.

Good read per STrib: Amanda Zahui B.: U women's basketball's marvelous mystery

“She has really established herself as a strong post presence,’’ McCarville said in a text from Poland, where she’s playing this winter. “I am excited to see her grow as a player. If Amanda continues to establish her dominating presence inside and Banham’s scoring continues, I could definitely see them becoming a great one-two punch.’’

On a recent weekday, Ann-Sofi and Alex bracketed their teenage son, Aaron, in Williams Arena. They had just flown from Stockholm to Minneapolis, via Amsterdam, and were dealing with a dizzying brew of jet lag and joy.

“We have had tears of excitement and happiness,’’ her mother said. “We have missed her so much. We know she is in the right place, but we have been following her by getting up in the middle of the night, watching her games on the Internet, then getting another hour of sleep before going to work. To finally get to see her is overwhelming.’’

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/239781931.html

Go Gophers!!

Sorry to flip over from the men's game and see the women blew what would have been a huge road win in OT. Borton's seat warms...

I switched over a few times as well and saw they blew a big lead late.

The gals seem to often play too much one on one. They are not a well coached team.

Could Lindsey play for the Lynx and coach at the same time.?

It will be borderline criminal, figuratively speaking, if Rachel Banham never gets to display her immense talents in the NCAA Tournament. It's looking more & more like that may be the case. Time is running out, there's only this season and next.

At one point the Gophers were up 14 points in the second half. One thing is a given. The Gophers play horrible defense.

WBB/Pam Borton

I don't follow the women's program very closely. It looks like we will be a lower tiered Big Ten team again this year. Now that the MBB and football are moving in the right direction, is this the off-season Norwood pulls the trigger?

Next year is a window of opportunity, with Banham as a senior, Yowie a soph and Carlie a freshman. They could make some hay under the right leadership. The question is this: does a coaching change hurt or help if you're hoping for a big year next year? There is always some disruption with the lack of continuity, and it would take the players some time to figure out the new coaches and system.

Next year is a window of opportunity, with Banham as a senior, Yowie a soph and Carlie a freshman. They could make some hay under the right leadership. The question is this: does a coaching change hurt or help if you're hoping for a big year next year? There is always some disruption with the lack of continuity, and it would take the players some time to figure out the new coaches and system.

Pretty sure her present players haven't figured out her system so what the hell difference would it make?

Pretty sure her present players haven't figured out her system so what the hell difference would it make?

She has no system, so what the hell. Norwood, pull the plug and and pay the $$$. Encourage Lindsay Whalen to take it over.

Top Bottom