After 25 years… I’m out

I'll never be out, but will be spending more time enjoying teams that I can't stand lose.

Who cares? The fact that people in Europe don’t like football doesn’t make me enjoy it any less.
My point is that Gopher fans tend to overstate the importance of college hockey in terms of the overall sports landscape. Only two teams (not the Gophers) draw over 10k fans a game, and only 9 draw over 6000 a game. And I like college hockey.

I was in Des Moines for a baseball tournament wearing my gopher gear. It created a lot of conversation. Those I spoke with are apathetic about their squad. They won yesterday but are bracing for little successZ

If you think Iowa fans are strange, attend Knotfest in Des Moines during the event. I’m not a Slipknot fan and found out why😳

Hopefully the Gophers can right the ship this FB season but looking at our schedule it will be difficult just to have winning year. As bad as FB looks, Gophers BB even looks more dire. After the cupcake pre conference games, it will get really ugly. And who's in charge of the whole athletics program....thanks Coyle.

Frustrating losses like this won't keep me away...God knows we've seen a multitude of those and I'm still here. However, what happens in the college football landscape in the next couple of years might.

If you see a bad movie, do you say "I'm never watching another movie!" Nope. You hope the next one is better.
Well, if the movie was from the same producer and had the same writers and cast, I'd probably pass.

Your movie analogy would just be like switching to a different team, cuz that's what a different movie with different actors, directors, writers, etc. is.

I mean, looking at the expectations for this season, what did you expect? Our schedule is brutal. I would personally be happy with this season if we beat wisconsin and make a bowl game. There are a lot of struggles with this team right now, especially the lack of consistency in the trenches. However, the coordinators seem to be the bigger issue, constant turnover and a lack of sustainability. Some may say that is an indictment on PJ, but I don't think that's the full story. PJ just had a great recruiting class and has produced NFL talent on his rosters for multiple years. I understand people are frustrated, as am I, but is this really far off of what we expected for this season?
The swing of emotions on this site is crazy:
When we win a big game - we are going to the rose bowl.
When we lose a big game - it's all over, fire everyone, blame NIL.

Hopefully the Gophers can right the ship this FB season but looking at our schedule it will be difficult just to have winning year. As bad as FB looks, Gophers BB even looks more dire. After the cupcake pre conference games, it will get really ugly. And who's in charge of the whole athletics program....thanks Coyle.
Currently basketball is more dire, but long-term it might make sense to focus on it. It takes a lot less total NIL to field a competitive team.

PJ just had a great recruiting class

No he didn't. He had a mediocre class. Koi is fine, Nathan Roy seems like the kinda guy you're happy to get, the rest is just a mixed bag of 3 start recruits (outside of Riley Sunram, but who knows about his comp level in high school).

This class should be the absolute floor for a B1G team, not something to be proud of or excited about. (Yes, I get that we are 10th and there are 8 teams worse, but rankings from this range on are very minor differences.)

and has produced NFL talent on his rosters for multiple years.

Produced? Who got coached up that might not have made the league with different coaching? By virtue of how many players there are, most P4 teams are going to put players in the league. Nothing to brag about. Again, a few day one or day two picks every now and then is not an accomplishment worth noting.

I understand people are frustrated, as am I, but is this really far off of what we expected for this season?
2-2 isn't what we hoped for, and you might say it's not that far off from 3-1, but the second half of the Iowa game offers a MUCH more accurate glimpse of what the rest of the season will be like, as opposed to the 2 previous beatings we administered, which in no way, shape, or form are any indication of what will happen going forward.

In other words, people can now see the writing on the wall. Pummeling Rhode Island and Nevada didn't get us that glimpse.

Currently basketball is more dire, but long-term it might make sense to focus on it. It takes a lot less total NIL to field a competitive team.
Great point. I'd be fine with just throwing out a football team of walk-ons in order to collect the money, and then go all-in for basketball.

Great point. I'd be fine with just throwing out a football team of walk-ons in order to collect the money, and then go all-in for basketball.
I mean it's kind of on the coaches too. PJ is raising a lot more $$ than Ben Johnson is, so it's hard for Coyle to do that. Get the right basketball coach in here and that should change.

No he didn't. He had a mediocre class. Koi is fine, Nathan Roy seems like the kinda guy you're happy to get, the rest is just a mixed bag of 3 start recruits (outside of Riley Sunram, but who knows about his comp level in high school).

This class should be the absolute floor for a B1G team, not something to be proud of or excited about. (Yes, I get that we are 10th and there are 8 teams worse, but rankings from this range on are very minor differences.)

Produced? Who got coached up that might not have made the league with different coaching? By virtue of how many players there are, most P4 teams are going to put players in the league. Nothing to brag about. Again, a few day one or day two picks every now and then is not an accomplishment worth noting.

2-2 isn't what we hoped for, and you might say it's not that far off from 3-1, but the second half of the Iowa game offers a MUCH more accurate glimpse of what the rest of the season will be like, as opposed to the 2 previous beatings we administered, which in no way, shape, or form are any indication of what will happen going forward.

In other words, people can now see the writing on the wall. Pummeling Rhode Island and Nevada didn't get us that glimpse.
You contradict yourself so many times in this it's hilarious. I found the new leader of the gopher pessimists.

You contradict yourself so many times in this it's hilarious. I found the new leader of the gopher pessimists.
Ah yes, the clever comeback that people resort to when they have nothing.

If I contradict myself so many times, how about replying to them and pointing them out. Or maybe, just maybe, my post rubbed you the wrong way so you felt compelled to write (what you thought) was a clever retort.

I mean it's kind of on the coaches too. PJ is raising a lot more $$ than Ben Johnson is, so it's hard for Coyle to do that. Get the right basketball coach in here and that should change.

Lol oh man CBJ catching it even in the offseason and on the football thread. He deserves it but egad Gopher brothers will the buffoonery of our FB and BB programs ever end?

I turn 52 in a little over a month. I don't know. I guess some kind of weird hope. Like I said, a glutton for punishment or something?

Thing is, I really find myself loving college football more and more every year. I'm staying up late watching west coast games every fall. I just love the game - just hate rooting for a disappointing team.
I support the program because I love the U. Said this before...seven degrees between my Dad, my brother, me, and my sons. It runs deep.

Top Bottom