2022 Transfer Portal Discussion

I hope not, you've got Fox and Ihnen back and Thompson a year older with Payne coming in, I would hope they would be decent as is and add one guy.
If we assume Battle still plays a lot of minutes at the 4 (which I agree with), we'd still need to add another front court player. I don't see any reason why Carlson wouldn't make sense for that spot. There are a ton of guys who could make sense there, many of whom I like more than Carlson, but I wouldn't be mad if he was in our front court rotation next year.

It's his kid.
michael-richards-mindblown.gif

6’0” guard who averaged 14.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, and 2.5 apg. Gotta admit, the last name makes me gun shy 👀
Disaster. We don’t need the regurgitation of Ganglegate spreading manure all over a rebuild.

If we assume Battle still plays a lot of minutes at the 4 (which I agree with), we'd still need to add another front court player. I don't see any reason why Carlson wouldn't make sense for that spot. There are a ton of guys who could make sense there, many of whom I like more than Carlson, but I wouldn't be mad if he was in our front court rotation next year.
Dear lord no. And it’s not going to happen.

6’0” guard who averaged 14.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg, and 2.5 apg. Gotta admit, the last name makes me gun shy 👀
Gotta say that last name scares the hell out of me.All we need is a Gangelhoff and it's over. Just sayin... 😱

Dear lord no. And it’s not going to happen.

I don't know why so many on this board long after players who have spurned them previously, particularly if they matriculated at Wisconsin. Kind of like school boys who can't move on from the girls who have spurned them and fail to take much interest in the ones who haven't.

Plus, if you look at this particular object of infatuation, he's grown less attractive with age: a miserable 6.5 PER this season along with a lousy Win Shares Per 40 minutes of .033. About the only thing he does fairly well is rebound but his total rebound percentage of 12.7% as a soph was slightly below Ihnen's soph average of 13.0%.

Yeah, it's probably not going to happen and I hope you're right and we add a big man better than Carlson.

If you look at his advanced stats, that might not be so hard to do. Yes, he was a 4 star with lots of offers coming out of high school but he hasn't played like one so far.

The ex girl friend analogy is apt. Diffident Ben has to get talent where he finds it.

I hope not, you've got Fox and Ihnen back and Thompson a year older with Payne coming in, I would hope they would be decent as is and add one guy.

I agree that they probably do not need to add more than one big man but they must add one. Players getting injured, players leaving the team for one reason or another, and players playing below expectations should be expected occurrences, not viewed as exceptions. In my view, failure to recruit an additional big man of serviceable quality would be negligence on the part of this coaching staff.

Does anyone have any inside poop on who Ben is after? Or anyone noteworthy who seems to show interest in being a Gopher?

Does anyone have any inside poop on who Ben is after? Or anyone noteworthy who seems to show interest in being a Gopher?

I haven't heard much so far and that doesn't surprise me. Who wants to advertise their failure rates? If it's known that you've offered 15 recruits and none of them accepted, the next recruits you pursue know that they don't have much urgency to commit.

If you look at his advanced stats, that might not be so hard to do. Yes, he was a 4 star with lots of offers coming out of high school but he hasn't played like one so far.
No, I don't think it will be super hard but I kind of think we might still end up with some folks on the end of the bench in the Daniels/Ogele caliber. We need to add more grad transfers and we don't have obvious PT for them (so some of the better folks might not be interested). I'm just saying that if Ben Carlson is added, it's a significant upgrade over additions like Daniels and Ogele.

If we fill up with players all better than him, then I agree. "Oh lord no" to Ben Carlson. If we don't, the same people saying "oh lord no" to Ben Carlson shouldn't be saying stuff like "we added some depth, who cares?".

No, I don't think it will be super hard but I kind of think we might still end up with some folks on the end of the bench in the Daniels/Ogele caliber. We need to add more grad transfers and we don't have obvious PT for them (so some of the better folks might not be interested). I'm just saying that if Ben Carlson is added, it's a significant upgrade over additions like Daniels and Ogele.

If we fill up with players all better than him, then I agree. "Oh lord no" to Ben Carlson. If we don't, the same people saying "oh lord no" to Ben Carlson shouldn't be saying stuff like "we added some depth, who cares?".
I agree. As long as we have players the caliber of Daniels and Ogele at big man, we are not in a position to turn up our noses at a Ben Carlson. l also hope the last man on our bench is better than him...but that hasn't been the case in a while.

I agree that they probably do not need to add more than one big man but they must add one. Players getting injured, players leaving the team for one reason or another, and players playing below expectations should be expected occurrences, not viewed as exceptions. In my view, failure to recruit an additional big man of serviceable quality would be negligence on the part of this coaching staff.
Not that it matters in the least, but EJ Stephens does have a couple tweets about the big man from Lafayette.

I agree. As long as we have players the caliber of Daniels and Ogele at big man, we are not in a position to turn up our noses at a Ben Carlson. l also hope the last man on our bench is better than him...but that hasn't been the case in a while.
If we are not in a position to turn up our nose at Carlson, then I question the recruiting ability of the coach. I think he will do better. He needs to.

Top Bottom