2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Ugg. Tell me that isn’t true. OBJ is worse than Diggs at being a distraction. They need OL and CB, not overpriced WRs.
I'm torn. A 2 and a 5 isn't that much, and the Browns would have to eat the signing bonus portion so the contract might not be that bad. Perhaps we can get one great year out of him and then trade him again before he can become a PITA.

I'm torn. A 2 and a 5 isn't that much, and the Browns would have to eat the signing bonus portion so the contract might not be that bad. Perhaps we can get one great year out of him and then trade him again before he can become a PITA.
I would agree- the asking price seems low. (especially considering what the Vikes got for Diggs)

When healthy, he is one of the best at his position in the NFL. But if he were dealt, he would have been traded by two organizations that determined the headache isn't worth the on-field production. I don't care the price- I would avoid at all costs. It would be fun for a few weeks, until he doesn't get the ball enough, and then it's going to be the news story every single week.

I would agree- the asking price seems low. (especially considering what the Vikes got for Diggs)

When healthy, he is one of the best at his position in the NFL. But if he were dealt, he would have been traded by two organizations that determined the headache isn't worth the on-field production. I don't care the price- I would avoid at all costs. It would be fun for a few weeks, until he doesn't get the ball enough, and then it's going to be the news story every single week.
The Vikings are at their best when they have drama. DUI's. Love Boats. Whizzinators. Bring it on! If you can't be good, at least be interesting.

per Shooter:

DON’T PRINT THAT

Would the Vikings dare trade their two first-round draft picks (Nos.22 and 25) to the Giants for the No. 4 pick to select Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons, who can play defensive end, cornerback, safety or linebacker?

In reality, if fast-rising wide receiver Justin Jefferson slides to the Vikings at No. 22 in Thursday’s NFL draft, the 6-1, 202-pounder (4.43-seconds 40-yard dash) from LSU will be hard to pass up.

The guy he would replace, 6-0, 194-pound Stefon Diggs, dispatched to Buffalo, clocked 4.46 seconds in the 40.

At No. 25, if the Vikings don’t trade it, cornerback Noah Igbinoghene from Auburn is a rational pick.

By the way, there’s a better chance of Ahmad Rashad being on the Vikings this year than Cleveland’s Odell Beckham Jr.

Interesting: The Vikings currently have
only 60 players under contract, tied with the Titans. Only the Rams, at 57, have fewer signed.

That means 30 teams have more players under contract than the Vikings. Each team can sign up to 90 players until the week before the regular season opener.

Look for the Vikings, after this week’s draft, to sign a half-dozen or so veterans to one-year minimum deals.

Also, it still won’t be surprising if the Vikings either trade safety Anthony Harris, if a long-term deal can’t be reached soon, or cut offensive tackle Riley Reiff.

Last year, the Vikings’ payroll was among the top seven in the NFL. This year, they rank No. 18 among the league’s 32 teams.

When Zygi and Mark Wilf bought the Vikings in 2005, they were able to write off the value of the NFL’s lucrative TV contract (worth nearly $255 million per team last year) over a 15-year period, as allowed by the IRS as a depreciable asset for sports franchise owners to amortize.

Now, heading into their 16th season, that deduction apparently is no longer available. It’s unknown if that will affect ownership’s ability to continue to fund a competitive payroll.

Skol Vikes!!

per Shama:

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman leads the Vikings in the NFL Draft this week, and his past profile tells fans to prepare for surprises.

Minnesota has two first round draft choices and 12 overall in the seven round event that starts Thursday and continues through Saturday. It seems likely Spielman will trade picks during the 2020 draft, perhaps in the first round.

In the last three drafts, Spielman made multiple trades to maneuver for college players he wanted. More of that makes sense given the club’s many needs including at cornerback, wide receiver and in the offensive line.

Spielman, now in his ninth season as Minnesota’s GM and 30th working in the NFL, is in the last year of his contract. The pressure is on him to reshuffle a roster that has both strength and soft spots by coming up with a winning draft list, and making moves to sign free agent veterans in the weeks ahead (or even in the next few days).

Spielman’s history has consistently been that of a leader not afraid to take risks. He hired Mike Zimmer even though the longtime NFL defensive coordinator had never been a head coach. Just before the season started in 2016 he traded for Sam Bradford, a veteran quarterback known as much for his injuries as his skills.

Skol Vikes!!

Treadwell was a 5* recruit, #1 player out of the state of Illinois.

One year on Bradbury.

Hughes, we'll see.

Hughes and Bradbury look like they have potential. Bradbury was a stretch, considering there were still good Tackles available, and are more valuable. But still too early to tell; I'm not ready to throw either of them away yet.

I would add Patterson to the list of Spielman busts. Good returner before the NFL rules changed. Otherwise, a sub-par receiver.

No need to pick a receiver in the first with the depth at that position. For whatever reason, Spielman has seemingly done better in rounds 2-3 than 1.

Hughes and Bradbury look like they have potential. Bradbury was a stretch, considering there were still good Tackles available, and are more valuable. But still too early to tell; I'm not ready to throw either of them away yet.
Tackle is the sexy position, but you've got to have solid interior guys too. Center is a hard job, especially with some of the difficult 3-4 nose tackle beasts in the league.

Don't forget Waynes, Hughes, and Bradbury. I don't think any of those guys are great or will be.
I'm no Spielman fan, but his batting average is league average at worst. Other than Ponder and Kalil, most of his picks have been 15 or lower. I wouldn't call Waynes a bust and it's too early to declare Hughes or Bradbury. Rhodes was a good pick. Kendricks, Barr, Harrison Smith etc.

Of the Spielman first rounders, I like Smith, Rhodes until his new contract, and Barr until his new contract.

The rest are largely misses or just average.

#:12 Christian Ponder -QB Yr-2011
#:4 Matt Kalil -T Yr-2012
#:29 Harrison Smith -DB Yr-2012
#:23 Sharrif Floyd -DT Yr-2013
#:29 Cordarrelle Patterson -WR Yr-2013
#:25 Xavier Rhodes -DB Yr-2013
#:9 Anthony Barr -LB Yr-2014
#:32 Teddy Bridgewater -QB Yr-2014
#:11 Trae Waynes -CB Yr-2015
#:23 Laquon Treadwell -WR Yr-2016
#:30 Mike Hughes -CB Yr-2018
#:18 Garrett Bradbury -C Yr-2019

Of the Spielman first rounders, I like Smith, Rhodes until his new contract, and Barr until his new contract.

The rest are largely misses or just average.

#:12 Christian Ponder -QB Yr-2011
#:4 Matt Kalil -T Yr-2012
#:29 Harrison Smith -DB Yr-2012
#:23 Sharrif Floyd -DT Yr-2013
#:29 Cordarrelle Patterson -WR Yr-2013
#:25 Xavier Rhodes -DB Yr-2013
#:9 Anthony Barr -LB Yr-2014
#:32 Teddy Bridgewater -QB Yr-2014
#:11 Trae Waynes -CB Yr-2015
#:23 Laquon Treadwell -WR Yr-2016
#:30 Mike Hughes -CB Yr-2018
#:18 Garrett Bradbury -C Yr-2019
The only two picks I didnt like at the time of the selections were Ponder and Treadwell. They were hell bent on picking a QB in first round, and there was a run on QBs, so they ended up with Ponder.

Same thing with Treadwell. There was a run on WRs, and he was what was left. They should have punted and traded back both times.

Kalil - awesome pic at the time
Smith - great pick
Floyd - was becoming good player until career ender
Patterson - talented, but no plan for him
Rhodes - good pick
Barr - good pick
Bridgewater - good pick
Waynes - subpar pick
Hughes - TBD, but not loooking good
Bradbury - TBD, but not looking good

Tackle is the sexy position, but you've got to have solid interior guys too. Center is a hard job, especially with some of the difficult 3-4 nose tackle beasts in the league.
Yes, but above average interior lineman can be had in the second round. Likewise, it's MUCH easier to sign an above average interior lineman through free agency than it is a tackle. Look at what Reiff is making at LT, and he's average to slightly below average. Thus, you get much better value by picking a tackle in the first round.

Trade Harris for the Washington LT and draft Winfield at #25. #22 can be a corner.

The only two picks I didnt like at the time of the selections were Ponder and Treadwell. They were hell bent on picking a QB in first round, and there was a run on QBs, so they ended up with Ponder.

Same thing with Treadwell. There was a run on WRs, and he was what was left. They should have punted and traded back both times.

Smith - great pick
Rhodes - good pick
Barr - good pick
Bridgewater - good pick
Waynes - subpar pick
You hear more and more from GM's that anything past about #16 or #17 is a crap shoot in almost every draft. The Vikings are just good enough to almost always find themselves drafting outside the range most years. I agree completely the only ones that you could easily second guess are Ponder and Treadwell.

Would really like to see them trade down with at least one of the 1st rounders. By all accounts the sweet spot in this draft is the 30-60 range, they could use more picks there, unless there are players they LOVE at both 22 and 25.

Why in the world would they draft Winfield at #25 when he could easily be there in the 3rd, if not late in the 2nd round? He's a baller and we love him as homers but his size and strength deficiencies will push him down more than likely.

Kudos to the NFL for moving forward with the draft! Ridiculous some of the people who are saying they should have bumped free agency and also the draft. F'ng stupid. This will be a massively viewed event over the next 5-6 days and people need something like this at this time. Looking forward to later this week!

You hear more and more from GM's that anything past about #16 or #17 is a crap shoot in almost every draft. The Vikings are just good enough to almost always find themselves drafting outside the range most years. I agree completely the only ones that you could easily second guess are Ponder and Treadwell.

Would really like to see them trade down with at least one of the 1st rounders. By all accounts the sweet spot in this draft is the 30-60 range, they could use more picks there, unless there are players they LOVE at both 22 and 25.

Why in the world would they draft Winfield at #25 when he could easily be there in the 3rd, if not late in the 2nd round? He's a baller and we love him as homers but his size and strength deficiencies will push him down more than likely.

Kudos to the NFL for moving forward with the draft! Ridiculous some of the people who are saying they should have bumped free agency and also the draft. F'ng stupid. This will be a massively viewed event over the next 5-6 days and people need something like this at this time. Looking forward to later this week!

Awesome post.

I wouldn't mind them trading up if they could get an elite guy. However, I'm not sure who that is

Smith - great pick
Rhodes - good pick
Barr - good pick
Bridgewater - good pick
Waynes - subpar pick
Kind of hard to call people who don't play, good picks.
Kalil turned out to be such a horrible pick that they didn't even have a suitable backup for his position (Willie Beavers?) for two full seasons. Ever since that false sense of security, the Vikings have had a horrible O-line.

Floyd - the guy barely played.
Rhodes was good until he signed an extension.
Bridgewater was good except he got hurt. Got us to a playoff game where he couldn't get the offense to score points at home.
Hughes - hurt too often.
Bradbury - too early.

Where are you seeing that Winfield could "easily" be around in the third round? In the mocks that I've seen that don't have him going in the first, he is going early in the second.

Where are you seeing that Winfield could "easily" be around in the third round? In the mocks that I've seen that don't have him going in the first, he is going early in the second.
I doubt he will be there when the Vikings pick in the 2nd round.

Anything is possible but possibly not being there late in the 2nd when they pick does not warrant them taking him with #25. There are other holes to fill with those 2 picks tomorrow, but like I said, I would rather they traded down with one of those if the player they love isn't there. I think a lot of teams are going to be trying to trade down out of those #15-#25 spots though

Anything is possible but possibly not being there late in the 2nd when they pick does not warrant them taking him with #25. There are other holes to fill with those 2 picks tomorrow, but like I said, I would rather they traded down with one of those if the player they love isn't there. I think a lot of teams are going to be trying to trade down out of those #15-#25 spots though

To Ogee's defense, Ive seen Winfield mocked all over the place. An SI mock draft had him going in first round, but they had him valued as the 60th best prospect

To Ogee's defense, Ive seen Winfield mocked all over the place. An SI mock draft had him going in first round, but they had him valued as the 60th best prospect
I think there's definite value if he's there in the 3rd. The 2nd? Not 100% sure. By most accounts, the Vikings draft needs are roughly in this order; 1 - CB, 2 - OL, 3 - WR, 4 - S, 5 - DL. You could even make a case that DL is a higher priority than Safety with the departures they've had.

I love Winfield, he's just an absolute playmaker, but taking him anywhere near the top 45-60 picks would just plain not be in the Vikings best interest IMO

Top Bottom