2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I think there's definite value if he's there in the 3rd. The 2nd? Not 100% sure. By most accounts, the Vikings draft needs are roughly in this order; 1 - CB, 2 - OL, 3 - WR, 4 - S, 5 - DL. You could even make a case that DL is a higher priority than Safety with the departures they've had.

I love Winfield, he's just an absolute playmaker, but taking him anywhere near the top 45-60 picks would just plain not be in the Vikings best interest IMO

Its looking more likely that Harris sticks around. So safety is not a need.

Anything is possible but possibly not being there late in the 2nd when they pick does not warrant them taking him with #25. There are other holes to fill with those 2 picks tomorrow, but like I said, I would rather they traded down with one of those if the player they love isn't there. I think a lot of teams are going to be trying to trade down out of those #15-#25 spots though

Oh, for sure. I definitely think that the Vikings have more pressing needs at #22 and #25. Especially since Ant Harris is still around. I would still be really happy if we took him.

I was simply saying asking where you saw him hanging around that late. Most of the mocks I've seen have him going late first early second though. I'd sure love to see the first Gopher drafted in the first round in over a decade.

If that deal were to occur, Washington knows they aren't going to pay him, and are just looking to get anything for him. Because a day three pick is a low price for a run-of-the-mill starting OL, much less one as good as Williams. Obviously, if they can work out the contract side of it, it's a no-brainer, as I don't trust Spielman to draft a competent OL.

Even if they trade for Williams, I'm still going CB and OL in the first round. Take another CB in the second, then build some DL depth. However, I have this sneaking suspicion that a highly-graded WR is going to fall and Spielman won't be able to help himself.

With the WR depth this year, there is ZERO reason to take a WR in the first round. Especially when Zim is so focused on running the ball. Fix the OL!!

If that deal were to occur, Washington knows they aren't going to pay him, and are just looking to get anything for him. Because a day three pick is a low price for a run-of-the-mill starting OL, much less one as good as Williams. Obviously, if they can work out the contract side of it, it's a no-brainer, as I don't trust Spielman to draft a competent OL.

Even if they trade for Williams, I'm still going CB and OL in the first round. Take another CB in the second, then build some DL depth. However, I have this sneaking suspicion that a highly-graded WR is going to fall and Spielman won't be able to help himself.
I hope not. No WR with first 3 picks pls

They took Jefferson from LSU. I'm not big on 1st round WR's but he was expected to go higher and I think he has a high floor. At the least he runs good routes and catches the ball, which puts him ahead of Williamson, Patterson and Treadwell.

They took Jefferson from LSU. I'm not big on 1st round WR's but he was expected to go higher and I think he has a high floor. At the least he runs good routes and catches the ball, which puts him ahead of Williamson, Patterson and Treadwell.

Reminds me of the Treadwell pick. Treadwell was once the highest rated WR in his class. A bunch of teams skipped on Treadwell, and Vikings took him.

And the Vikings just traded 25th pick to 49ers. Zimmer must not be a fan of any of the corner backs

Seems like we made a really nice trade, only moved back a few picks and grabbed two later round picks.

Skol Vikes!!

Ugg...what is it with Spielman and 1st round receivers? Could have gotten way better value later. Still need CB and OL. There is no way they pass on a CB with the other pick, and OL is going to get ignored again.

Reminds me of the Treadwell pick. Treadwell was once the highest rated WR in his class. A bunch of teams skipped on Treadwell, and Vikings took him.

And the Vikings just traded 25th pick to 49ers. Zimmer must not be a fan of any of the corner backs
Or they like several guys and feel like at least one of them will be there at 31.

Seems like we made a really nice trade, only moved back a few picks and grabbed two later round picks.

Skol Vikes!!
I would normally agree, but they already have too many picks in this draft. Rick better be packaging those up and moving up elsewhere. Rick for some reason thinks the way to win the draft is to accumulate as many mid to late round picks as possible.

Skol Vikes!!

Yeah, that was a solid trade. And I like the Jefferson pick at #22. The best tackles and cornerbacks were off the board.

I think Aiyuk would have been a better WR pick

Treadwell's main asset was his size which doesn't matter if you can't get separation or catch the ball. I feel like this kid is at worst a really good #3 WR. If that's all he is, it's still a bad pick, but he won't flame out of the league in 3 years IMO.

At 31, I'd like either Winfield or Jalen Hurts.

It would be awesome if they traded back thinking they could grab AWjr at #31. Kind of depends on what they think they will be doing with Ant Harris.

Good pick and trade. Time to trade for Williams and draft a CB.

It would be awesome if they traded back thinking they could grab AWjr at #31. Kind of depends on what they think they will be doing with Ant Harris.
I have a feeling he's not even making it to 31.

I’m on the Hurts train. Trade some of those later picks to move up in the second round and draft him there.
If you like him, just take him at 31. The Patriots have a million picks and could move up at any time.

I'm underwhelmed by their first round picks, especially Jefferson. I have a philosophy of taking OL and DL all day. Thats where you win football games.

I especially dont like taking WR's in first round unless they are some god-like talent, like a Moss or Harvin. This Jefferson pick looks steady, but you need game changer.

I think you trade up and get a game changer. Its like gsus criminey, how many draft picks do you need Rick?

CBS Grades:

22. Vikings, WR Justin Jefferson, LSU
Grade: A. I love this pick. He's not (Stefon) Diggs, but he's also not going to complain every play like Diggs did. I thought he would go before this.

31. Vikings, CB Jeff Gladney, TCU
Grade: B. It's a need pick, no question about it. I like the player. There are some character concerns, that's something they'll have to address. Mike Zimmer loves to draft corners. This pick makes sense.

Skol Vikes!!

SI chimes in:

22. Minnesota Vikings (from Buffalo): WR Justin Jefferson

At LSU, 109 of Jefferson’s 111 catches came from the slot. The Vikings, however, often play with just two wide receivers on the field (which usually means no slot position to fill) and likely see the 6' 3", 192-pounder as an outside weapon. Jefferson played with polish and a sound sense of tempo in LSU’s offense and should transition effectively to a new role in a Vikings scheme that will make heavy use of in-breaking routes off play-action. He is not as explosive as predecessor Stefon Diggs, but he’ll likelier be a happier camper to deal with.

GRADE: B-

31. Minnesota Vikings (from San Francisco): CB Jeff Gladney

Minnesota badly needed help at defensive back after losing Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander earlier this spring. Mike Zimmer historically prefers to develop cornerbacks from the bench in Year One, but with so few quality corners on the roster, don’t be surprised if Gladney starts in 2020—perhaps in a nickel slot role, which plays to his skill set. Zimmer’s corners are always sound tacklers. That, and blitzing, were two things Gladney did well at TCU.

GRADE: A

Skol Vikes!!

Sporting News chimes in:

22. Minnesota Vikings (from Bills): Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU
  • Grade: A
The Vikings get their replacement for Stefon Diggs to complement Adam Thielen in a similar way. Jefferson (6-1, 202 pounds), with massive production catching passes from Burrow, emerged in LSU's passing game as a quick, efficient route-runner with good hands. He also has underrated speed.

31. Minnesota Vikings (from 49ers): Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
  • Grade: A
The Vikings needed to rebuild at cornerback after releasing Xavier Rhodes and not re-signing either Trae Waynes or Mackensie Alexander. Gladney (5-10, 191 pounds) is a good fir for Mike Zimmer’s defense because of his zone sensibility and inside-outside versatility. He is scrappy and aggressive in making plays on the ball, with a knack of being honed in on receivers' routes.

Skol Vikes!!

Sid: Vikings GM Rick Spielman finds talent throughout NFL draft

Jefferson figures to be a star. He was the most explosive wideout in college football last season and had one of the greatest bowl games in history when he caught 14 passes for 227 yards and four touchdowns against Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl.

Gladney, meanwhile, was a hard-nosed corner who scouts said has no fear. He was named second-team All-America by the Football Writers Association of America and should be ready for the NFL after playing in Gary Patterson’s scheme for the Horned Frogs.

But first-round picks are not the only way Spielman has made his reputation. His tenure as GM is all about stockpiling picks to bring in as much talent as possible.

That’s why he picked Jefferson and then followed it up with the move to add even more picks.

The Vikings’ first-round selections over Spielman’s tenure have not always panned out, and that just goes to show how random the draft can be.

Since taking over as GM in 2012, Spielman has selected the following first-round picks: Matt Kalil, Harrison Smith, Sharrif Floyd, Xavier Rhodes, Cordarrelle Patterson, Anthony Barr, Teddy Bridgewater, Trae Waynes, Laquon Treadwell, Mike Hughes and Garrett Bradbury.

Only Smith (No. 29 overall, 2012), Barr (No. 9, 2014), Hughes (No. 30, 2018) and Bradbury (No. 18, 2019) are still on the roster.

The fact is a first-round pick is not guaranteed to be more successful than a second-, fourth- or seventh-rounder. The 2019 Vikings squad had nine first-rounders on the roster and eight from the seventh round.

How random can the draft be?

According to Pro Football Focus, the highest-graded defensive players on the Vikings last season were all from the 2015 draft class. Safety Anthony Harris (91.1 grade) went undrafted, linebacker Eric Kendricks (90.1 grade) was taken No. 45 in the second round and defensive end Danielle Hunter (89.0 grade) was taken No. 88 in the third round.

The Vikings’ first-round pick that season was Waynes, who the team let leave in free agency this offseason.

Skol Vikes!!

A Rambo reference? did you type this while listening to Hurt Lewis & News? Dude, more action than a Thor movie or that you've had in many a moon.
WTF is your problem? None of those were my words. I simply pulled a tweet that was quoting Paul Allen, who has good sources. Dont be such a dickhead

Top Bottom