2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Now four 7th rounders plus three 4ths and two 5ths in 2021, which will be traded for 7th rounders.
Seriously- they’ll probably all be traded down to 7th rounders. I wasn’t on the fire Spielman boat, but this odd fascination with obsessively trading down to get worse picks and the yearly ignoring of the biggest problems of the past 10 years (QB and OL) is really frustrating.

They have no excuse not take Ty Johnson with that many picks remaining. I will be sincerely disappointed if we don't take him, I will be angry if he has to go to some shitty, desolate team.
17 drops and 4 fumbles in the last 2 seasons. Love TJ6, but very very glad the Vikings didn't take him. But I hope he has a great career in TB!

Now four 7th rounders plus three 4ths and two 5ths in 2021, which will be traded for 7th rounders.
Had to do a little digging to see what they netted for 2021. Turning some of the excess picks this year into a 4th and a 5th next year isn't bad.

All in all a decent draft. Thank you Eagles for not taking Jefferson

17 drops and 4 fumbles in the last 2 seasons. Love TJ6, but very very glad the Vikings didn't take him. But I hope he has a great career in TB!

We'll see what happens, but hard to be anything but happy for him getting a shot to catch TDs from the GOAT. Living a dream, indeed.

Regarding the Vikings drafting the receiver from Miami instead of Tyler Johnson, Souhan had this to say today:

"
Now we know what the NFL thinks of Johnson as a prospect. He was the 161st player taken overall, falling to the fifth round in a draft filled with quality receivers.

I think he projects to be a quality second receiver in the right NFL system, but once the Vikings took Justin Jefferson in the first round, they had little incentive to spend other draft capital on someone who might have, this year, been their fourth or fifth receiver in a system that doesn’t frequently use three receivers.

Johnson is not a natural kick returner, either. With the 176th pick, the Vikings chose Miami (Fla.) receiver K.J. Osborn, who can handle that role.

Johnson to the Vikings would have been a nice story, but it wouldn’t have been ideal for either the team or the player.

"

https://www.startribune.com/gm-rick...his-deft-handling-of-the-nfl-draft/569964352/

Does that seem legit to you guys? Seems kinda fake news, to me.

Regarding the Vikings drafting the receiver from Miami instead of Tyler Johnson, Souhan had this to say today:

"
Now we know what the NFL thinks of Johnson as a prospect. He was the 161st player taken overall, falling to the fifth round in a draft filled with quality receivers.

I think he projects to be a quality second receiver in the right NFL system, but once the Vikings took Justin Jefferson in the first round, they had little incentive to spend other draft capital on someone who might have, this year, been their fourth or fifth receiver in a system that doesn’t frequently use three receivers.

Johnson is not a natural kick returner, either. With the 176th pick, the Vikings chose Miami (Fla.) receiver K.J. Osborn, who can handle that role.

Johnson to the Vikings would have been a nice story, but it wouldn’t have been ideal for either the team or the player.

"

https://www.startribune.com/gm-rick...his-deft-handling-of-the-nfl-draft/569964352/

Does that seem legit to you guys? Seems kinda fake news, to me.
Tyler Johnson aside, the Miami WR had a 7th round grade and they reached for him for no reason. You can find a crappy 5th WR who can return punts on the street in week 3.

STrib: Vikings rookies face unique challenge with virtual minicamp

The Vikings’ historically large 15-man draft class, and the 12 undrafted free agents the team signed, face a rare challenge — how to remotely participate in an important rookie minicamp.

Online coaching begins in earnest from May 8-10 when the Vikings staff will work with newcomers in a brand-new way.

While the team’s two first-round picks — LSU receiver Justin Jefferson and TCU cornerback Jeff Gladney — might be equipped to immediately contribute, that might not be the case for many of the 27 players added to help reload last year’s playoff roster. Every NFL team is losing practice time, with facilities closed because of the coronavirus pandemic, and rosters with more rookies could be affected the most.

“I don’t know when we’re going to be able to see these rookies or when we can get them on the field,” Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said. “I do know with the time and energy coaches put into this, as well as the scouts, they’ll be able to get a head start, at least virtually, on learning the playbook and things like that.

“Coach [Mike Zimmer] has already thought through how we’re going to approach this when we do get players back in the building — how we’re going to have to get these guys ready to line up.”

Veterans have been in the Vikings’ online chat rooms since Monday, when NFL teams with returning head coaches began virtual programs. Coaches can log more hours with rookies during the May 8-10 minicamp than the veteran sessions, which are limited to two-hour periods of online classroom and workout instruction.

Skol Vikes!!

STrib: Vikings rookies face unique challenge with virtual minicamp

The Vikings’ historically large 15-man draft class, and the 12 undrafted free agents the team signed, face a rare challenge — how to remotely participate in an important rookie minicamp.

Online coaching begins in earnest from May 8-10 when the Vikings staff will work with newcomers in a brand-new way.

While the team’s two first-round picks — LSU receiver Justin Jefferson and TCU cornerback Jeff Gladney — might be equipped to immediately contribute, that might not be the case for many of the 27 players added to help reload last year’s playoff roster. Every NFL team is losing practice time, with facilities closed because of the coronavirus pandemic, and rosters with more rookies could be affected the most.

“I don’t know when we’re going to be able to see these rookies or when we can get them on the field,” Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said. “I do know with the time and energy coaches put into this, as well as the scouts, they’ll be able to get a head start, at least virtually, on learning the playbook and things like that.

“Coach [Mike Zimmer] has already thought through how we’re going to approach this when we do get players back in the building — how we’re going to have to get these guys ready to line up.”

Veterans have been in the Vikings’ online chat rooms since Monday, when NFL teams with returning head coaches began virtual programs. Coaches can log more hours with rookies during the May 8-10 minicamp than the veteran sessions, which are limited to two-hour periods of online classroom and workout instruction.

Skol Vikes!!

See, proof that their draft strategy is crap. Trade Back Rick's argument for drafting so many was so they he didnt have to fight for UFDA's, given the COVID climate. BS.

They have showed they are trying to win next season. That means they will have to rely on vets for next season, and take a best guess of their draft class they should try and sign to the practice squad. At tops , I expect 5 of their draftees to make the 53 man roster. The 4 guys from their top 3 rounds, and one extra.

Disregard my post if do end up getting some mini-camps in.

I haven't checked to see what the Vikings cap situation is at the moment but one possible option at a significant upgrade in the interior of the OL is Gabe Jackson, currently the RG for the Raiders. He's got a non-guaranteed salary of $9.6M this year. The Raiders tried to trade him before and during the draft but no takers.

He's one of the better OG's in the league and I would guess he's going to have a lot of suitors but it's pretty damn likely the Raiders are going to cut him. They have a couple decent guys waiting in the wings and they drafted an OG in the 4th round that was by some accounts the 2nd best OG in the draft.

Pipe dream, I'm sure, but that's at least one option that should be out there. I guess we'll see just how much the front office likes Dru Samia and Dozier (not to mention Elflein).

Depressing stat:

In another really good article in The Athletic, chronicling how every team in the league has done on 1st round draft picks having their 5th year options picked up, I saw that the Vikings had 10 first round draft picks from 2011 through 2016 and only TWO are still with the team; Harrison Smith and Anthony Barr. Ouch.

Only 4 of those 10 picks were higher than the 23rd overall pick, which certainly diminishes the chances of hitting on those picks, but still. That's painful to look at.

Depressing stat:

In another really good article in The Athletic, chronicling how every team in the league has done on 1st round draft picks having their 5th year options picked up, I saw that the Vikings had 10 first round draft picks from 2011 through 2016 and only TWO are still with the team; Harrison Smith and Anthony Barr. Ouch.

Only 4 of those 10 picks were higher than the 23rd overall pick, which certainly diminishes the chances of hitting on those picks, but still. That's painful to look at.
I saw some kind of expected win or value stat regarding 1st Round picks since 2015. The Vikings were dead last in the NFL. Our first round drafting has been horrible lately.

ESPN's prediction after our schedule was announced:

Minnesota Vikings
Full schedule | Predicted record: 10-6

The Vikings' path toward getting back to the playoffs includes hosting the Packers in the season opener for the first time in the team's 60-year history. It also features one of the toughest road schedules in the NFL with three prime-time games away from U.S. Bank Stadium. Read analysis from Courtney Cronin

Skol Vikes!!

The Vikings still have ~$12 million in salary cap room. Got get some Oline and CB help so all the rookies don't have to play.

On the cap - The Vikes have indicated that they want to sign Cook to a new deal. Based on what other top 2-way RB's have signed for, if they do ink a new deal, that will eat up a lot of the cap room.

My gut tells me that the Vikes are trying to pull off something really tricky - to re-build without admitting it. That's what still makes no sense about the Cousins deal. If you want to get younger and re-tool the defense, then why tie up so much cap space in a QB when you're probably not going to be a Super Bowl contender.

unless they think that Zim can take a bunch of rookies and second-year players and piece together a defense that will keep the team in games while they wait for Kirk to throw the game-winning pass.

On the cap - The Vikes have indicated that they want to sign Cook to a new deal. Based on what other top 2-way RB's have signed for, if they do ink a new deal, that will eat up a lot of the cap room.

My gut tells me that the Vikes are trying to pull off something really tricky - to re-build without admitting it. That's what still makes no sense about the Cousins deal. If you want to get younger and re-tool the defense, then why tie up so much cap space in a QB when you're probably not going to be a Super Bowl contender.

unless they think that Zim can take a bunch of rookies and second-year players and piece together a defense that will keep the team in games while they wait for Kirk to throw the game-winning pass.
I disagree. They did get younger on defense, but the players they replaced were not good in 2019. Rhodes was awful and Waynes and Alexander were below average. We don't know how the rookie CB's will do, but they will almost certainly be better than Rhodes was and equal to Waynes/Alexander. Linval Joseph wasn't good either. The guy from the Ravens is an upgrade.

They're not going to win the Super Bowl, but they can certainly win the division. The Bears have no QB and the Lions are the Lions. Green Bay was not nearly as good as their 13-3 record suggested. The Vikings are right there with them for the division in 2020.

I hope they don't sign Cook. You can franchise him for a couple years if you want to keep him around. Use the cap room to get some insurance for OL and CB.

I disagree. They did get younger on defense, but the players they replaced were not good in 2019. Rhodes was awful and Waynes and Alexander were below average. We don't know how the rookie CB's will do, but they will almost certainly be better than Rhodes was and equal to Waynes/Alexander. Linval Joseph wasn't good either. The guy from the Ravens is an upgrade.

They're not going to win the Super Bowl, but they can certainly win the division. The Bears have no QB and the Lions are the Lions. Green Bay was not nearly as good as their 13-3 record suggested. The Vikings are right there with them for the division in 2020.

I hope they don't sign Cook. You can franchise him for a couple years if you want to keep him around. Use the cap room to get some insurance for OL and CB.
What I recall reading recently is that Speilman is working on a contract extension for him.

I agree with you, but I don't get paid the big bucks. Maybe he thinks he can leverage the "common knowledge" that RBs are almost expendable, along with his injury history, into signing him to a long deal "cheap enough" to warrant it.

What I recall reading recently is that Speilman is working on a contract extension for him.

I agree with you, but I don't get paid the big bucks. Maybe he thinks he can leverage the "common knowledge" that RBs are almost expendable, along with his injury history, into signing him to a long deal "cheap enough" to warrant it.
I don't mind it if it's a good deal. But realistically it will be similar to what Elliot got in Dallas. No thanks.

Name the super bowl champion with the RB with a huge contract in the last 5 years?
... still waiting. Name the power back for the Patriots during their super bowls? Do not pay big money to rb's, this is not the 1990's.

You cant let a RB hold you hostage. Cook is a big time talent, but unless you get him for a bargain, you have to let him go after the season. If he wants to hold out, Mattison will do just fine

per Shama:

The Vikings’ Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer are believed to be the only general manager and head coach combo in the 32-team NFL working on one-year contracts.

It appears ownership wants to see how the 2020 season plays out before deciding on the futures of Spielman who has been the GM since 2012 and Zimmer who was hired in 2014. The two have led Minnesota to two division championships, two playoff wins, and one NFC title game appearance in six years.

While the Vikings have done some offseason payroll trimming to create cap space, it’s unlikely money is preventing ownership from making extended contract commitments to their longtime leaders. The Wilf family, including Zygi Wilf, wants excellence on the field including the biggest prize—a Super Bowl appearance for their franchise which last appeared in the big game in 1977.

Former Viking defensive lineman Bob Lurtsema first met Zygi when he played in New York for the Giants. He quickly learned Zygi is a passionate pro football fan. Lurtsema said this week: “Money is not an obstacle (with the Vikings). He will do anything to have a winner. He’s a fan.”

Lurtsema isn’t surprised the Vikings haven’t re-signed defensive end Everson Griffen this offseason. He said Griffen, who played 10 seasons with Minnesota before declaring free agency earlier this year, became preoccupied with sacks in 2019 and made too many “critical mistakes.” Lurtsema believes Griffen sometimes was not in position to make the correct move coming off the line of scrimmage. “I wouldn’t have signed him (again),” Lurtsema said.

Numerous sources are praising the work ethic of Vikings 2020 first round draft choice Justin Jefferson, who is expected to replace departed star wide receiver Stefon Diggs. “He (Jefferson) sounds like an old-time player with his attitude,” Lurtsema said.

The Vikings will have a changed wide receiver roster in training camp that also includes fifth round draft choice K.J. Osborn and free agent signee Tajaé Sharpe.

Skol Vikes!!

Sounds like we may be going to the Super Bowl! (y)

Long term philosophy: the Vikings have to keep searching for the right GM/HC to get us back to the Super Bowl.

We can't accept division titles and playoff appearances, but not getting the job done, in perpetuity.

Granted ... we was robbed, in 2009. We weren't robbed in 2017, we stunk up the damn joint in Philly.

https://www.startribune.com/dolphins-owner-there-definitely-will-be-an-nfl-season/570771002/

"
Dolphins owner: There definitely will be an NFL season
Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross says he's confident the NFL will play in 2020, with or without spectators.

“I think there definitely will be a football season this year,” Ross said Tuesday during an interview on CNBC. “The real question is will there be fans in the stadiums?"

"

At this point, I don't think anyone seriously thought there was a risk that the NFL wouldn't play.

Top Bottom