2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The 25th pick isn't a huge investment. And if this season goes sideways, putting Hurts in could actually save them if he looks OK.
Isn’t a huge investment? A first rounder should be tossed on someone who grades on most boards as a 3rd? Either package up to a better prospect or wait for the 2nd round when Hurts will likely still be around.

Isn’t a huge investment? A first rounder should be tossed on someone who grades on most boards as a 3rd? Either package up to a better prospect or wait for the 2nd round when Hurts will likely still be around.
If true take him in the 2nd round. The problem is it's a late 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be shocked if he went between 25-40.

If true take him in the 2nd round. The problem is it's a late 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be shocked if he went between 25-40.
Possible- maybe they could package their second with one of the Bills extra picks to move up?

I am curious as to why you’re so high on him? You obviously see something I don’t so would love to hear it. Thanks.

Vikings with 5 picks in the first 105 of the draft, with two 1st rounders and two 3rd rounders. That's some decent draft capital to do some things between now and draft day if they want.

Unless they absolutely love him, I'd have to say Hell NO on drafting Hurts anywhere near the 1st round. But if the Kubiaks think he's the real deal, seriously real deal, I could live with it. But at this point I'd say no way.

Possible- maybe they could package their second with one of the Bills extra picks to move up?

I am curious as to why you’re so high on him? You obviously see something I don’t so would love to hear it. Thanks.
I'm not sure I'm "high" on him, I just think he's undervalued. He started ahead of Tua at Alabama for a reason. One game flips that upside down and now Tua is worth the #1 pick and Hurts is a 3rd rounder? Oklahoma won plenty of games too. I'd say Tua has a 65% chance at becoming a star and Hurts has a 45% chance. I'd rather buy the 45% chance with an existing pick than trade a ton to increase my odds 20%.

You could trade down from 25 to 35 and net more picks perhaps. I could also see Bill B. nabbing him right in front of us.

You could trade down from 25 to 35 and net more picks perhaps. I could also see Bill B. nabbing him right in front of us.
The Patriots already have Stidham for a young QB; there's no way they're spending high draft capital on another young QB. They really like Stidham by most accounts. Not saying they go into the season with him as the starter, although it wouldn't totally surprise me, but I'd be absolutely shocked if they draft another QB anywhere in the first 2 days of the draft, if at all.

I'm on the Hurts train, as well. But that's mostly because I agree that he seems to be undervalued. With Burrow and Tua probably both going in the top 4, that leaves the next rung of Eason, Fromm, Love, and Herbert. Love has been getting crazy steam, as the NFL loves to drool all over measurables and having a "big arm". I could see him ending up like Josh Allen- drafted way too high in relation to what he's actually done/shown. I'm fine blowing pick 25 on Hurts, as QB's are so often overvalued and picked higher than they are graded out. I would also pick him above any of the ones previously mentioned not named Burrow or Tua. But if they could package up some of the multitudes of later picks they have with their existing second rounder, I'd do that regardless if they can get Hurts in the second or move higher to get a better OL/DL/CB.

Use the Bills first rounder on a tackle.

Could be exactly correct, but what about Holton Hill and Mike Hughes?

I'm not discounting them....but do you really think we can go into the year with those two?

I just haven't seen enough of them to feel comfortable. I think that one of our first two picks is bound to be a CB.

Well, I hope Mac Alexander leaves. He as always struck me as not being very good. I don't think he's a starter in the league, maybe starting nickle. Good luck to him.

What about all the CB listed here? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Minnesota_Vikings_season#Current_roster

Are none of those guys any good? I guess most of them were undrafted (and Boyd in the 7th round).

I suppose we need at least one more solid guy. Would rather get a guy in FA than burn a high draft pick, when we so badly need OL.

They have some cap room. They should sign a CB in FA and draft one in the 2nd/3rd round.

I would bet there is a 90% chance they take a corner with one of their two first round picks (if they keep them both). Zim and Spielman sure like taking DB's early in the draft.

As it stands now, the pressing needs are:
-OL (Tackle to replace Reiff, Guard to replace Elflein)
-DL (hole at nose tackle with Joseph leaving)
-CB (hole there with 3 CB's leaving)
-WR (not a lot after Thielen. Johnson and Bebee looked serviceable at best. Treadwell may be brought back yet again out of necessity. At least you should be able to get a decent WR in the 3/4 round)

They have some cap room. They should sign a CB in FA and draft one in the 2nd/3rd round.
Do they? They only free'd up $5MM by getting rid of Diggs (as they are eating his signing bonus and resulting cap hit I believe as part of the trade). The Cousins restructuring basically paid for Harris' franchise tag. They also still have to sign draft picks. Waynes got 3 years/$42MM. I don't think they can't be affording to sign a CB for anything close to that.

Do they? They only free'd up $5MM by getting rid of Diggs (as they are eating his signing bonus and resulting cap hit I believe as part of the trade). The Cousins restructuring basically paid for Harris' franchise tag. They also still have to sign draft picks. Waynes got 3 years/$42MM. I don't think they can't be affording to sign a CB for anything close to that.
IIRC they are currently ~$20 million under as they were $10 under before the Cousins deal and trading Diggs. That's not much, but they can make at least 1-2 signings. I'd release Riley Reiff as well.

I would bet there is a 90% chance they take a corner with one of their two first round picks (if they keep them both). Zim and Spielman sure like taking DB's early in the draft.

As it stands now, the pressing needs are:
-OL (Tackle to replace Reiff, Guard to replace Elflein)
-DL (hole at nose tackle with Joseph leaving)
-CB (hole there with 3 CB's leaving)
-WR (not a lot after Thielen. Johnson and Bebee looked serviceable at best. Treadwell may be brought back yet again out of necessity. At least you should be able to get a decent WR in the 3/4 round)
We're running the ball mostly. San Fran and others are showing that guys who block, can also be great offensive weapons. TE and even the FB !

Charley Walters: Depleted Vikings look like five-win team

The way it looks now, the Minnesota Vikings, a playoff team last season, are a five-victory team heading into next season.

There are simply too many holes to fill and too many unknowns as to how those holes will be filled.

Meanwhile, the Vikings inexplicably extended QB Kirk Cousins, who turns 32 this summer, for $66 million for two years.

Releasing starting guard Josh Kline means the Vikings have to plug another hole in the offensive line. And teammate guard Pat Elflein is no star.

Not only have the Vikings lost Pro Bowl defensive end Everson Griffen, but his backup, Stephen Weatherly. And five defensive backs — Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes, Mackensie Alexander, Jayron Kearse and Andrew Sendejo — have been lost.

It’s unclear from where those replacements will come, and of what caliber they will be. Relying on rookies, especially rookies not drafted high, is scary.

Wideout Stefon Diggs was traded, leaving the Vikings without another high-caliber starting receiver. Insiders say Diggs’ attitude won’t be missed by many teammates, and that his absence will be addition by subtraction. There was little doubt that he would be traded after the season.

Skol Vikes!!

Wow that is grim. OL is a massive question mark. They have to replace Elflein as well. I've seen enough to know he is a bust. Failure to do so will result in failure of the offense. Cousins can't do anything under pressure. He does well enough when he has protection.

OL is always a massive question mark....but they built themselves a second one with their mass exodus at CB. Waynes should have been resigned. I get that he was going to be expensive, but he's earned it and we have no seasoned players to step into either starting position.

Alexander leaving is another issue. One-year $4 million? Unless he just wanted to leave....there is no excuse to let him go when that is the competing offer. Especially once Waynes was gone.

It basically means we didn't want him (Alexander). They think they can do better elsewhere. And I do not disagree.

per ESPN:

Free-agent wide receiver Tajae Sharpe has agreed to a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings, a source confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

Sharpe, 25, had 25 receptions for 329 yards and a career-high four touchdowns last season, his fourth with the Tennessee Titans.

Skol Vikes!!

Meh. I was hoping for Demaryus Thomas since he's tied to Kubiak, but this guy probably has more upside.

Sid: Young players need to rise up for Vikings

Everyone knew the Vikings roster was going to go through major changes this offseason because of the number of veteran players they had clogging up the salary cap, but it has still been incredible to see so many players leave the club in the past few weeks.

As of Wednesday, the list of players gone included Mackensie Alexander, Stefon Diggs, Dakota Dozier, Everson Griffen, Linval Joseph, Josh Kline, Jayron Kearse, Xavier Rhodes, Andrew Sendejo, Marcus Sherels, Laquon Treadwell, Trae Waynes and Stephen Weatherly.

It’s hard to believe the team has lost so many quality players in such a short time. And it also shows how quickly the team is going to have to rebuild for next season.

Pro Football Focus ran a list of the NFL teams hit hardest by free-agent losses this season, and the Vikings ranked 22nd, near the middle of the pack.

They gave the Vikings a grade of “poor” in free agency and wrote that, “The best move the Minnesota Vikings made was cutting Xavier Rhodes. He’s been a liability in coverage, ranking 112th of 119 in PFF coverage grade and allowing an incredibly high 83.5% catch rate. The cornerback position outside of Rhodes was nothing special, either, as the unit ranked 27th in PFF coverage grade. The top two corners on the roster were Waynes and Alexander, and both of them are now Cincinnati Bengals, leaving the position depleted.”

Even with the loss of standout wide receiver Diggs, the biggest concern is on defense. But Vikings coaches have long believed they have some young defensive lineman who are ready for more playing time. That group includes Jaleel Johnson, Jalyn Holmes, Ifeadi Odenigbo and Shamar Stephen.

Last season Johnson recorded 29 tackles, 3½ sacks and 5½ tackles for loss.

Odenigbo was the biggest surprise of the season with seven sacks and eight tackles for loss to go along with 23 overall tackles.

Stephen had 21 tackles, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Holmes had four tackles, but the 2018 fourth-round pick is viewed by the Vikings staff as the kind of physical player who could make a big leap.

But while there are defensive linemen who the Vikings believe can replace the production of veterans such as Joseph and Weatherly, the defensive backs are a different story.

Skol Vikes!!

So did the Vikings actually sign Harris? Or was that a bluff to get teams interested in a trade?

So did the Vikings actually sign Harris? Or was that a bluff to get teams interested in a trade?
He's franchise tagged. He can play under it or they can sign an extension. Or they can trade him.

He's franchise tagged. He can play under it or they can sign an extension. Or they can trade him.

I get that part. But until they officially sign him to an extension, a trade is on the table. The word about a week ago is they were about to sign him to an extension. Just never saw if it was finalized or not

Top Bottom