2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I really liked the two 1st round picks for the Vikings. I did learn some things from the NFL draft last night.
1) How did Jerry Jeudy get straight A's in high school, and then score a 9 on the wonderlic?
2) How was Justin Jefferson a zero-star recruit out of high school?
3) Mike Zimmer's family room looked like a great place to be quarantined in.

NFL.com gave our overall first round an "A" grade.

Thought the JJ pick was a no-brainer, couldn't believe he had fallen that far down. Not as much a no-brainer on the Corner pick, but acceptable.

I guess I just didn't know what the perceived "value" was of Jones (U of Houston OT) opposed to the OT that were thought to be 2nd round values.

There seemed to be the "big four" OT's, which all went before 22.

Really hope they get OT next. Just not sure if the guy will be able to start right away at left tackle and move Reiff to left guard, so Elflein can be demoted to backup.

WTF is your problem? None of those were my words. I simply pulled a tweet that was quoting Paul Allen, who has good sources. Dont be such a dickhead

It was as error by my phone when I posted it bro; so please slow your roll with me Doc and maybe get a second opinion ? next time!

Packers trade up for QB Jordan Love. If he turns into a HOF'er I quit. In other news, Aaron Rodgers will be our QB in 2023.
I predicted that when the Vikes moved back to #31, they were going to use that pick to take Jordan Love. I would have fully supported that pick; you get the 5th year option, it was shaping up to be just like the Bridgewater pick. But the Packers knew that some teams in the top of the 2nd needing QB's had itchy trigger fingers and would have moved into that 27-29 range and stolen him from the Packers.

At the very least, I hope Rodgers is pissed and moping and moody

Team's biggest need: OL

If you have 2 picks in the 1st round, one of them should be used to address your biggest need.

Unless they trade for Williams, the Vikes will either go into next year with the same OL - or draft some project and shove them into the lineup before they're ready.

Either way, expect to see a lot of Kirk Cousins throwing the ball away to avoid a sack.

Brilliant - pay your QB $30-million a year, and let him play behind one of the worst OL's in the league.

If you have 2 picks in the 1st round, one of them should be used to address your biggest need.

Unless they trade for Williams, the Vikes will either go into next year with the same OL - or draft some project and shove them into the lineup before they're ready.

Either way, expect to see a lot of Kirk Cousins throwing the ball away to avoid a sack.

Brilliant - pay your QB $30-million a year, and let him play behind one of the worst OL's in the league.
Either they know the Williams deal is a "for sure" and just needs to be finalized, or Spielman is incompetent. Even with Williams, I'm taking an OL in the first two rounds. I hope he can package up some of his multitudes of picks and either get an additional second rounder, or at least move up and get the Houston tackle. Looking at the grades on ESPN of the OL, there is a big drop-off after him.

I wouldn't be hammering it so much, but it's been a need for years and they continue to just band-aid the thing. Elflein shouldn't be starting- he has to be your backup at C and G.

Shama chimes in:

Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer made known his expectations for first round draft choice Justin Jefferson last night on KFAN Radio. “He’ll be able to come in and should be able to play right away.”

The Vikings selected the former LSU wide receiver at No. 22 in last night’s NFL Draft. Zimmer praised Jefferson’s ability to play inside and outside in an offense. He also mentioned Jefferson’s work ethic in practice, competitive nature and intelligence.

Jefferson has a reputation for making difficult catches and the Vikings considered him one of the best wide receivers in the draft. “Quite honestly, we tried to move up and were hoping that he would be there,” Zimmer said.

Minnesota acquired another first rounder in TCU cornerback Jeff Gladney at No. 31. Zimmer told KFAN the 5-foot-10 Gladney needs improvement with his playing technique but expressed enthusiasm about his new defensive player.

Go Gophers!!

They have needs on the OL, for sure, but those needs are more on the interior, G/C/C, than they are at OT. Not a lot of value taking anything other than OT in the first round. Besides, there was a drop-off after the top 4 OT taken. By most accounts, they actually aren't in terrible shape at OT with O'Neill and Reiff (I believe?).

I'd be shocked if the OL landscape for the Vikings doesn't look different at the end of Day 2 than it does now, either via draft or trading for someone like Williams.

Jalen Hurts goes to the Eagles. Sigh....

They should do the draft like this going forward. Fun to see people at their homes.

Uhhhhhh, the Vikings have TWELVE picks tomorrow; 3 picks in each of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round. WTF?

I trust the front office has a plan in mind

They have no excuse not take Ty Johnson with that many picks remaining. I will be sincerely disappointed if we don't take him, I will be angry if he has to go to some shitty, desolate team.

Uhhhhhh, the Vikings have TWELVE picks tomorrow; 3 picks in each of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th round. WTF?

I trust the front office has a plan in mind
They need to trade some of those picks for 2021 picks. Thats way too many picks in a part of the draft thats a total crap shoot.

To be fair, Spielman's point is that - given the uncertain nature of things right now - it is easier to draft players you like in the 7th round than it might be to try and sign them as un-drafted free agents later. So, by accumulating more later-round picks, Spielman is getting a head start on the post-draft process and getting players he likes under control.

You can agree or disagree with the strategy, but it does make a certain sense.

To be fair, Spielman's point is that - given the uncertain nature of things right now - it is easier to draft players you like in the 7th round than it might be to try and sign them as un-drafted free agents later. So, by accumulating more later-round picks, Spielman is getting a head start on the post-draft process and getting players he likes under control.

You can agree or disagree with the strategy, but it does make a certain sense.
At the end of the day his approach only makes sense if his team ends up winning a Super Bowl. Hasn't happened yet with either the Dolphins or the Vikings.

13 picks today. They gotta trade some of them, right??

17 picks is insane. At most 8-9 will make the team. Use some to move up and get Fromm and then grab TJ in the 5th.

Great- another trade. And the Skins trade Williams to the niners. So our 2nd greatest position of need (OL) gets one draft choice out of our 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Brilliant.

We're already acquiring extra picks for next year. LOL.

Great- another trade. And the Skins trade Williams to the niners. So our 2nd greatest position of need (OL) gets one draft choice out of our 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Brilliant.

FYI - i tried twice to link an article from NBC sports which reported that Williams turned down a trade to us and the most prominent teams left in the hunt were the 9ers & Rams as he was familiar with both Shanahan and McVay from their tenure on Washington's staff.

Line will suck again this year.

F'it....Go Bucs!!

FYI - i tried twice to link an article from NBC sports which reported that Williams turned down a trade to us and the most prominent teams left in the hunt were the 9ers & Rams as he was familiar with both Shanahan and McVay from their tenure on Washington's staff.

Line will suck again this year.

F'it....Go Bucs!!
Hopefully Cleveland can handle LT and push Reif to guard. That would upgrade the line overall.

Top Bottom