2020 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I get that part. But until they officially sign him to an extension, a trade is on the table. The word about a week ago is they were about to sign him to an extension. Just never saw if it was finalized or not
I'd be surprised if they sign an extension before the draft. Better to keep options open. I'd trade Smith for the Washington LT and keep Harris, but it's possible Harris would be enough to get him. General thought is that Smith is worth a 2nd round pick and Harris is worth a 3rd.

I'd be surprised if they sign an extension before the draft. Better to keep options open. I'd trade Smith for the Washington LT and keep Harris, but it's possible Harris would be enough to get him. General thought is that Smith is worth a 2nd round pick and Harris is worth a 3rd.

I'd make either trade. For one, no team can really afford 2 high priced safeties (especially with a high priced QB). For two, team has to get younger. I try not to be a homer, and I hope im not too much of one now because dude can ball, but how much fun would it be to trade one of those 2 and use the pick on Winfield?

I'd make either trade. For one, no team can really afford 2 high priced safeties (especially with a high priced QB). For two, team has to get younger. I try not to be a homer, and I hope im not too much of one now because dude can ball, but how much fun would it be to trade one of those 2 and use the pick on Winfield?
Winfield 2nd round. Tyler Johnson 3rd/4th round. I guess Winfield is more of a FS, so keeping Smith would make more sense.

Here is all I know.

when it comes to the draft, Spielman will trade down 3 or 4 times, and wind up with 4 picks in the 6th round and 5 picks in the 7th round. then he will talk about all of the "value" he got in the late rounds.

I don't know why the guy is so in love with late-round picks.

But I do know this - If the Vikes don't come out of the draft (or possible trades) with at least one starting-quality OL, a CB and a DE, it's going to be a long season.

Here is all I know.

when it comes to the draft, Spielman will trade down 3 or 4 times, and wind up with 4 picks in the 6th round and 5 picks in the 7th round. then he will talk about all of the "value" he got in the late rounds.

But I do know this - If the Vikes don't come out of the draft (or possible trades) with at least one starting-quality OL, a CB and a DE, it's going to be a long season.

He better not. This team needs starters, not little holes to fill.

Sid: Adam Zimmer ready to make his mark as Vikings co-defensive coordinator

When Adam Zimmer was named Vikings co-defensive coordinator earlier this year along with Andre Patterson, he said that it was one of the best moments in his 15-year NFL coaching career. But what was it like going into a job interview with his dad, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer?

“Well, I think it wasn’t really an interview, like formal interview type of thing, it was the body of work over the last seven years working with him,” Adam said of his tenure as Vikings linebackers coach, a position he will keep along with being co-defensive coordinator. “It was an adjustment at first working for him, but I think we have a good communication back and forth and understanding of how we like to do things. I think it was a pretty seamless transition.”

The Zimmer family has a long history of coaching. Mike Zimmer’s father, Bill Zimmer, coached high school football at Lockport Township High School in Illinois for 35 years.

Mike has been in coaching since 1979, when he was 23 years old and worked as a defensive assistant coach at Missouri for Warren Powers.

“[My dad] really never said he wanted me to be a coach, that was just something I wanted to do, seeing my grandpa do it and growing up with going to games and being on the sideline with my dad,” Adam said. “I ended up playing at Trinity University in San Antonio, and I knew I wanted to coach.

“Sean Payton had just gotten the [coaching] job with the Saints and he knew I wanted to coach and he offered me an entry-level, quality control-type position, and that is where I started. I was there for four years and kind of worked my way up, and so keep climbing the ladder.”

Skol Vikes!!

Speaking of new coaching roles, and apologize that this isn't exactly related to the 2020 Vikings .... but he was our coordinator last year, cut me some slack.

Found this video very interesting and enjoyable to watch:

Certainly seems to me that the Browns have every possible thing that a franchise needs to be successful, from ownership, facilities, to coach and GM. Even a promising QB. They just don't have the success.

Speaking of new coaching roles, and apologize that this isn't exactly related to the 2020 Vikings .... but he was our coordinator last year, cut me some slack.

Found this video very interesting and enjoyable to watch:

Certainly seems to me that the Browns have every possible thing that a franchise needs to be successful, from ownership, facilities, to coach and GM. Even a promising QB. They just don't have the success.
LOL there is a reason people have been saying for years "this could be the browns year" and they just suck. Definitely a ownership/GM/coach problem. he should have never gone there.

LOL there is a reason people have been saying for years "this could be the browns year" and they just suck. Definitely a ownership/GM/coach problem. he should have never gone there.
I can't comment on the ownership, I know nothing of Jimmy Haslam other than he owns the Browns and is only shown in the video shaking hands.

But in the video it also shows the hiring of a very promising, and young, up-and-comer for the new GM.

Regardless, it was more a Hard Knocks style video, focusing on the people, rather than the football. Stefanski seems like a great guy, family man, and will be interesting to see what happens.

Here is all I know.

This is one of the things that drives me the most crazy about Spielman. He ends up with the most picks in the draft, due to trading down so many times and acquiring a bunch of garbage 6/7th round picks. He should be trying to do the opposite - package as many late round picks as possible and get as many 1-4 round picks as possible. If you could accumulate 6 picks in the first 4 rounds, you should be able to walk away with 3 legit (eventual) starters or solid backups, with the assumption half your lower round picks pan out. And if you’re good at your job, you should end up with 4 or 5 solid players. With a 53 man roster, drafting 10+ players doesn’t help you.

per Shama:

Trade rumors have been associated with 31-year-old Kirk Cousins during his NFL career dating back to his years with the Washington Redskins. The most recent conjecture comes from website 12.Up that speculated yesterday on the benefits of the Houston Texans sending potential franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson to Minnesota in exchange for Cousins and draft choices.

The Vikings are salary cap challenged and have two first round picks in next week’s NFL Draft. Cousins received a two-year contract extension in March that reportedly not only pays him $66 million but waives the no-trade clause in his previous deal. Watson, 24, is being paid about $14 million total on a four-year rookie contract and is not eligible for a new deal until next year.

While Watson is a valued young QB, 12.Up describes Texans general manager Bill O’Brien as unpredictable and capable of trading the 2017 first round draft choice. Last month many observers found it inexplicable the Vikings were willing to extend Cousins when his contract had a year to go and his performance has been inconsistent. But could there have been a potential trade in the front office’s planning?

Skol Vikes!!

per Shama:

Trade rumors have been associated with 31-year-old Kirk Cousins during his NFL career dating back to his years with the Washington Redskins. The most recent conjecture comes from website 12.Up that speculated yesterday on the benefits of the Houston Texans sending potential franchise quarterback Deshaun Watson to Minnesota in exchange for Cousins and draft choices.

The Vikings are salary cap challenged and have two first round picks in next week’s NFL Draft. Cousins received a two-year contract extension in March that reportedly not only pays him $66 million but waives the no-trade clause in his previous deal. Watson, 24, is being paid about $14 million total on a four-year rookie contract and is not eligible for a new deal until next year.

While Watson is a valued young QB, 12.Up describes Texans general manager Bill O’Brien as unpredictable and capable of trading the 2017 first round draft choice. Last month many observers found it inexplicable the Vikings were willing to extend Cousins when his contract had a year to go and his performance has been inconsistent. But could there have been a potential trade in the front office’s planning?

Skol Vikes!!
Theres not a shot in hell this happens. But im all in!

Unless Houston thinks they won't be able to resign Watson, why would they do that deal? I'd give them Cousins, every pick in this years draft, and offer to pay 25% of Cousins salary this year. With a depleted roster (after trading Harris and others for 2021 picks), tank in 2020, and accumulate a bunch of picks for 2021 where you emerge from the depths of hell with an acutal franchise quarterback.

Cousins and both 1st round picks for Watson. Who says no?

per STrib:

The morning of March 16, Kirk Cousins agreed to a new contract that would keep him in Minnesota through 2022. Hours later, wide receiver Stefon Diggs tweeted, “It’s time for a new beginning,” and by the end of the day, Diggs was on his way to Buffalo in a trade, ending a relationship with the Vikings that had gone sour.

As the quarterback put it Tuesday, both moves ultimately were for the best.

In his first public comments since the end of the 2019 season, Cousins called both his contract extension and the Diggs move a “win-win,” reiterating his desire to be the first quarterback to win a Super Bowl in Minnesota while praising the Vikings for the trade after he said it had become evident the receiver wanted to be elsewhere.

“It’s a unique dynamic,” Cousins said. “It became apparent that he wanted to play elsewhere, and I think it was smart of the Vikings to grant him that opportunity. I think it wasn’t a mystery, and that’s OK. I wish him really well. I just so enjoyed playing with him.

“He’s a special player, and we now have to find a way to move forward and replace that, if you will, with a variety of players. But I think that that’ll be our challenge going forward is creating that talented option outside of Adam on the outside, and I think there’ll be a variety of ways to do that, and I’m excited to get started on that challenge.”

Diggs said in a Players’ Tribune piece last week that Cousins was one of the first people to reach out to him after the trade; on Tuesday, Cousins said he had told Diggs he was “as good as any receiver I’ve ever played with.

“That includes some names like Adam Thielen, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon … [Diggs is] elite,” Cousins said. “I just wanted to affirm him, and thank him. It sounds cliché, but I’m as good as a quarterback as the guys around me. Specifically, as the people I have to throw to.

“There were a lot of games where his talent makes an enormous difference. I just wanted to let him know that, and I’m sure the Bills will be thrilled to have that. Again, we’re always looking for win-wins, whether that was with my contract or in Stefon’s situation. It didn’t seem to be able to work going forward as it was, so we tried to find the best win-win that we could, and I think it was impressive of the Vikings to find a situation that could work for both sides.”

New money

Cousins’ contract, which paid him $66 million in new money in exchange for a $9.5 million reduction in his 2020 salary cap charge, does not contain the no-trade clause the Vikings initially gave him in 2018. But its structure effectively guarantees Cousins will be in Minnesota for the foreseeable future, giving him a chance to build on his first career playoff victory last season. It also gives him the continuity he has craved, with a chance to stay in an offense that’s familiar to him and a city he enjoys. The goal, Cousins said Tuesday, is to cement his legacy in Minnesota with a championship.

“It’s great to be able to create some cap space for this year and to be able to solidify that I and my family can be back in Minnesota for another couple of seasons and hopefully beyond that,” Cousins said. “I want to play well enough to where I get to be here beyond that, too. We’re grateful for that and just feel so good about being a part of the Minnesota community even more going forward.

“We know how much this team means to the fan base, to the people of Minnesota and we’re going to do all we can to deliver a championship.

“I do know that whoever the quarterback is that delivers a world championship to the Minnesota Vikings is going to be welcome in the state of Minnesota for the rest of their lives. I certainly want to be that quarterback and we’re working really hard to do that.”

Skol Vikes!!

Skol Vikes!!
Do we feel like we need to spend a bunch of money/picks to replace Diggs with a guy like OBJ?

We're a running team (now). We have other good/decent receivers, to block db's on running plays. I feel like OBJ is just going to be another headache, as Diggs was.

Top Bottom