2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Once Ellis committed there was no chance that Brown would come. Especially since there is a good chance that Vaughn will end up here in 2013. He would have to compete with Ellis and Wally in his first year and then add Vaughn to the mix in his sophomore year. The pace has picked up and Hayes better decide soon or the Gopher will get another PF like Tory Miller.

Not saying he would have chosen to come here anyway but after the Ellis commitment it wasn't even an option. We dropped out of the race because we don't have enough room for another guard. I think this pretty much confirms that we will bank 1 schollie for 2014.

Assuming he lost most of his big offers and was overrated at 130 on rivals? Otherwise SMU is a bit puzzling.

Ben Moore to SMU as well. Larry Brown putting together a solid class, per this tweet from Evan Danile of Fox: "Ben Moore just committed to SMU, per a source."

Go Gophers!!

Their coach is Larry Brown. Only justification I can think of.

Former Illinois ace recruiter Jerrance Howard is on Brown's staff at SMU. I assume that's a big reason why SMU is having the success recruiting in Illinois right now.

I suppose that's true. I just don't look at Brown as being a positive at this point in his career but it's also the first recruiting class, which is usually good regardless of the coach (it seems).

Former Illinois ace recruiter Jerrance Howard is on Brown's staff at SMU. I assume that's a big reason why SMU is having the success recruiting in Illinois right now.

Jerrance did a nice job on Moore.

Shannon Brown played for Larry Brown at one time and Sterling was attracted to playing for him.

Nic Moore played for Tim Janckovich at Illinois State. Janckovich is now the head coach in waiting at SMU.

So it is more than Jerrance.

Gophers not in Schilling's top 5

Sturdy32 Brad Sturdy
RT@prepbullseye Gavin Schilling claims a top 5 of Villanova, UCLA, Missouri, Arizona & Oklahoma St. Won't sign until Spring.

Too bad. I thought we had a really good chance at him. But who knows? If he's not signing until Spring, I guess we can get back on his list. Winning solves everything.

Gophers not in Schilling's top 5

Sturdy32 Brad Sturdy
RT@prepbullseye Gavin Schilling claims a top 5 of Villanova, UCLA, Missouri, Arizona & Oklahoma St. Won't sign until Spring.

Too bad. I thought we had a really good chance at him. But who knows? If he's not signing until Spring, I guess we can get back on his list. Winning solves everything.

I said this in another thread, but I am not sure he actually has offers from these schools. I had read, having trouble locating article now, that he has seen some interest from those 5 schools.

I said this in another thread, but I am not sure he actually has offers from these schools. I had read, having trouble locating article now, that he has seen some interest from those 5 schools.

Probably true. Schilling is a guy who we would love to have, but just isn't quite good enough for an early offer from some of the most prestigious basketball programs. When Villanova, UCLA, Mizzou, etc. swing and miss on top 100 players, Schilling is one of those 'next in line' guys for an offer.

Tweet: "Nigel Hayes says 'no thanks' to the #Gophers and has a top three of #Badgers #Buckeyes and #Stanford"

Go Gophers!!

Might be stretching it a bit...

I don't know...Before Kyle Washington reclassified, he was getting some BCS looks, but if I recall correctly, he only had all MAC or MAC-level offers. After he reclassified, the offers started rolling in: Baylor, Ohio State, Louisville, Washington, Marquette, Wisconsin, NC State, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Illinois, etc.

Well, we now have no shot. He's going to pick up lots of BCS offers, including probably some from the 'helmet schools' of basketball.

I wonder if he didn't get an offer for 2014 from a school he likes but didn't have a 2013 scholership available

I don't know...Before Kyle Washington reclassified, he was getting some BCS looks, but if I recall correctly, he only had all MAC or MAC-level offers. After he reclassified, the offers started rolling in: Baylor, Ohio State, Louisville, Washington, Marquette, Wisconsin, NC State, Notre Dame, Minnesota, Illinois, etc.

I can assure you that is not typical. There are plenty of examples of players reclassifying and not getting any better offers at all. It's usually the raw players with untapped potential like Washington who really benefit from an extra year. Even then, getting the offers Washington did is not typical. Don't expect Miller to Match Washington's offer list. Reid Travis should be our #1 priority for power forward in that class anyway.

I can assure you that is not typical. There are plenty of examples of players reclassifying and not getting any better offers at all. It's usually the raw players with untapped potential like Washington who really benefit from an extra year. Even then, getting the offers Washington did is not typical. Don't expect Miller to Match Washington's offer list. Reid Travis should be our #1 priority for power forward in that class anyway.

Very true. My stance was premature, as I have never seen Miller play. Long, athletic, and players who haven't full developed physically are certainly players that benefit from reclassifying.

Agreed I would think Miller would be more of a backup option now and the priority is going to be Reid Travis at this position.

Signing day quote from Fuller's twitter account...

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Foster after signing this afternoon told me critics have said he reached his peak, but "I'm going to be my best in college." #Gophers

Gavin Schilling Recruiting Update
Published on Wednesday, 14 November 2012

http://www.hoops247.com/index.php/modules-menu/266-gavin-schilling-recruiting-update

Class of 2013 Findlay Prep post Gavin Schilling is a hot recruiting commodity nationally. We caught up with Schilling, who starred at Chicago De La Salle a year ago, to get an update on his recruiting and his prep school experience.

A wide range of schools are currently involved with Schilling.

“Right now I am hearing from Villanova, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Duke, Michigan State, USC, UCLA, Illinois, Oregon State, DePaul, Minnesota and Texas. Those are pretty much all the schools expressing interest”

Schilling is still exploring all of his collegiate options and plans to wait until after the season to take the rest of his visits.

Schilling has taken one official visit thus far and that was to Minnesota.

The 6'9, 235-pound post has great things to say about Findlay Prep.

“Coming to Findlay has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. The strides I’ve made in such a short period of time is incredible. I’m surrounded by great teammates and a great coaching staff which can only help me get better. We are 4-0 so far in the season and look to go undefeated and win another national championship.”

Go Gophers!!

Gavin Schilling Recruiting Update
Published on Wednesday, 14 November 2012

http://www.hoops247.com/index.php/modules-menu/266-gavin-schilling-recruiting-update

Class of 2013 Findlay Prep post Gavin Schilling is a hot recruiting commodity nationally. We caught up with Schilling, who starred at Chicago De La Salle a year ago, to get an update on his recruiting and his prep school experience.

A wide range of schools are currently involved with Schilling.

“Right now I am hearing from Villanova, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Duke, Michigan State, USC, UCLA, Illinois, Oregon State, DePaul, Minnesota and Texas. Those are pretty much all the schools expressing interest”

Schilling is still exploring all of his collegiate options and plans to wait until after the season to take the rest of his visits.

Schilling has taken one official visit thus far and that was to Minnesota.

The 6'9, 235-pound post has great things to say about Findlay Prep.

“Coming to Findlay has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. The strides I’ve made in such a short period of time is incredible. I’m surrounded by great teammates and a great coaching staff which can only help me get better. We are 4-0 so far in the season and look to go undefeated and win another national championship.”

Go Gophers!!

Gotta like that Tubby was there early and also signed two of his former teammates. I still like our odds with Schilling, hope we end up signing him!

Gotta like that Tubby was there early and also signed two of his former teammates. I still like our odds with Schilling, hope we end up signing him!

Agreed. Even though we didn't make his latest cut, I'm still cautiously optimistic about Schilling.

If Schilling has indicated MN is not in his top 5, how are you still optimistic. Has he changed his top 5 since his recent announcement?

I am hoping that with the Gophs Success (and hopefully continuing success) they may catch the eye of a couple recruits that had not been interested earlier... Is this a possibility? Also any news on Schilling?

247Sports reports that Schilling is "cool" on Minnesota. He is "warm" on 4 other schools. It is unclear to me what plan B is for the Gophers if they do not get Schilling. I do not find any intriguing players on their recruiting lists. They need a true PF or center to replace Mbakwe IMO.

247Sports reports that Schilling is "cool" on Minnesota. He is "warm" on 4 other schools. It is unclear to me what plan B is for the Gophers if they do not get Schilling. I do not find any intriguing players on their recruiting lists. They need a true PF or center to replace Mbakwe IMO.

To my I would assume juco for a PF... if a good one is available. Having a good season and available playing time next year should put us in good shape with a top juco. I am fine with that move.. I think Foster is a rebounder..but he will be young.. so a juco will help bridge the gap a bit.

From her chat yesterday, Amelia weighs in on Schilling:

"He’s definitely at the top of the Gophers’ wishlist. Schilling has made it clear he doesn’t plan on deciding anything until the spring – he doesn’t seem in any rush. But I think Minnesota has as good a chance as any. To this point, it’s the only school he’s visited. And he’s made it clear he wants to live in a “city” environment. Would make that class pretty strong."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/183040841.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom