2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

I am posting these just to show how over the line Twitter allows fans/boosters to have direct contact with recruits. Here is another tweet Hayes just retweeted: "@wudelhoven @MHeiling @NIGEL_HAYES Fact: Last Minn B1G title was 1997...oops...That banner was stripped due to NCAA sanctions so 1982. lol."

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, here is my favorite:

Kevin Nelson ‏@RomiDaMan
Gophers got Edozie to decommit to allow @NIGEL_HAYES and @GSchills32 to team up together and become the best frontcourt in the B1G #Gophers

Some other retweets:

@NIGEL_HAYES Minnesota! For legit reasons... 1.Coach Smith 2. Playing time 3. Developed into high draft pick. 4. Become the next mbakwe 5. Great education 6.The Barn and the incredible fans #facts #realtalk #gophernation #WeWantYouNigel

@Nigel2MN - Someone created a twitter for the sole purpose of bringing Nigel to MN? That's too far.
Wisconsin is like the country Hickville of the Midwest... @NIGEL_HAYES The people there are very prejudiced too! #CountryBumpkins #jussayin
Retweeted by NIGEL HAYES

The tweet that kind of irked me was a Badger fan telling Hayes that Bo Ryan has the best win % in Big Ten history. Bo is behind Thad Matta in win % overall and behind Matta in Big Ten games as well (albeit close behind). But of course I'm not going to tweet Hayes to advocate going to a particular school because I see those tweets as being NCAA violations. Although not severe violations, I'm not going to do it. He has probably made up his own mind already, the tweets make no difference he's just having fun with the fans.

Marcus tweet: "Tubby Smith's lone 2013 recruit Alvin Ellis from Chicago DeLaSalle is expected to be at the #Gophers open scrimmage Friday night."

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia's chat:

Comment From Derek
Thoughts on which recruit most likely will commit to Minnesota next?
12:11

Amelia:
I think Gavin Schilling from Nevada could say yes to the Gophers. Minnesota wants to get two more bigs to help replace Rodney Williams and Trevor Mbakwe and Schilling and Nigel Hayes (Toledo) are at the top of their list. Hayes should be making a decision soon – and the four remaining are Minnesota, Wisconsin, Stanford and Ohio State. But he sure talks an awful lot about Wisconsin and Stanford. If the Gophers miss out on one or both of those guys, Tory Miller (Missouri) or Alex Foster (Chicago) are in play as well.

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia chat:

Comment From Dave W.
Is Tubby recruiting any 4 or 5 star players for the 2013 season? If so, who are they and do you have any stats for them?
12:13

Amelia:

No … but don’t get caught up in the stars. When you’re recruiting for Minnesota, sometimes you have to find value outside the top 100.

Go Gophers!!

Damn! What is up with Smith's recruiting? We have a great state/city/lifestyle. Screw CW, we should be a powerhouse with the right coach.

However, saying that, I expect nothing less than a sweet 16 this year...if not, we need to search for a different coaching staff. jmo

per Amelia chat:

Comment From Dave W.
Is Tubby recruiting any 4 or 5 star players for the 2013 season? If so, who are they and do you have any stats for them?

Amelia:

No … but don’t get caught up in the stars. When you’re recruiting for Minnesota, sometimes you have to find value outside the top 100.

Go Gophers!!
She makes us sound like a Missouri Valley or MAC school. . She is too young to remember the players to come out of here. Ignoring probation and penalties like Michigan does. In the thirty or so years I've been a fan. We have had more NBA type players than Wisconsin, Iowa or Iowa State. I guess I like to think we have had better basketball here than she gives us credit for. When your Minnesota, she is saying your lucky to get anyone to play here. Maybe that's the mindset that has taken over.I wish Tubby was as sick of that as me and actually watched recruits before offering them.Big excuse used to be we don't have players in this state . Now it's what?

per Amelia chat:

Comment From Dave W.

Amelia:

Go Gophers!!

What a drop off in Gopher beat writers from Shelman, to Myron, to now Amelia. Each step has been a significant drop down from the previous holder of the position. Even if you believe this "Minnesota is crap" line of thinking that Amelia has quickly adapted since moving to Minnesota, this answer is COMPLETE BS. Tubby recruited 4 stars guys early in his tenure AND guys like Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman were top 100 guys according to ESPN. Further, I recently listed well over a dozen schools that have had no better recent success than Minnesota who have had success with the class of 2013.

The one story I can give Amelia credit for breaking was the Edozie de-commit. She's had one real scoop in her entire tenure. A few of the great people that work on this site manage to do much, much more.

Well, the truth is whenever you're recruiting for anyone outside of the blue bloods like UNC you will need to find value outside the top-100 occasionally. The schools that get only consensus top-100 players are few and far between.

Well, the truth is whenever you're recruiting for anyone outside of the blue bloods like UNC you will need to find value outside the top-100 occasionally. The schools that get only consensus top-100 players are few and far between.
I think you can say that with maybe the top twenty players or so if your not a blue blood it's very improbable to sign one.. No reason a Big Ten school doesn't get multiple top hundred players every year though.

I think you can say that with maybe the top twenty players or so if your not a blue blood it's very improbable to sign one.. No reason a Big Ten school doesn't get multiple top hundred players every year though.

considering there are 70 BCS schools there absolutely is a reason that a Big Ten school doesn't get multiple top hundred players every year. The numbers simply don't work out and the blue bloods often get more than 2 throwing the numbers off even more. I'm not saying that we should be satisfied with having to find under the radar and unheralded kids but to say that it should be a foregone conclusion that we get multiple top 100 players is kind of ridiculous. I wish our program was at a point where this was the case but it just isn't. Tubby certainly should (an has for the most part) helped with this in his career here but it's still going to be a battle until we actually start winning on a consistent basis.

considering there are 70 BCS schools there absolutely is a reason that a Big Ten school doesn't get multiple top hundred players every year. The numbers simply don't work out and the blue bloods often get more than 2 throwing the numbers off even more. I'm not saying that we should be satisfied with having to find under the radar and unheralded kids but to say that it should be a foregone conclusion that we get multiple top 100 players is kind of ridiculous. I wish our program was at a point where this was the case but it just isn't. Tubby certainly should (an has for the most part) helped with this in his career here but it's still going to be a battle until we actually start winning on a consistent basis.

+1

If you consider that schools like Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UCLA, Indiana, MSU (and others) each get 2-3 Top 100 recruits almost every year, that leaves maybe 75-80 Top 100 players for the other 60-65 AQ schools to fight over. Given that we are in the lower half (at best) of AQ schools, getting 1 Top 100 player per year is a reasonable expectation, getting 2 is a rousing success, and getting 3 is lifetime-contract-worthy.

Well let's ammend that to 150. There are many different rankings and a ton of good players out there..Probably a couple hundred ,top hundred players looking at all the sevices .I guess more what I was saying we should get a couple well regarded recruits every year. Not settling for April signing of role or end of the bench projects.

When you are losing basically 1/3 of your team, including your 2 best players, and are not in on any top 100 players, that is reason for concern. This could potentially be the second year in a row where the Gophers fail to land a top 100 recruit (and really fail to be competitive for anyone with that ranking) which could result in as many as 6 straight recruits who fall outside most top 100 lists. The fact is Tubby recruited better when he first landed at Minnesota than he is now, and he should bare responsibility for that downward trend.

EG#9, that is a concern when you're losing your best players and don't have top-100 guys either waiting in the wings (already on the roster) to replace them or coming in with the next recruiting class. Usually when you have a starter who is leaving, especially one who is a star, you should be able to get a top-100 player to replace him. An optimist could argue that EE and Walker are top-150 bigs, so quality replacements are already in position to take over, and reinforcements are coming in to add depth, but that is not an ideal situation. Ideally you'd have a couple top-100 recruits either on the team already or coming in. You can blame part of it on a general lack of such recruits from in-state high schools (although Kyle Washington would negate that somewhat), but you can't count on getting every in-state guy - you've got to be able to get top-100 guys from somewhere to replace your stars, it doesn't matter where. But it's tougher to get top-100 big men than top-100 guards - for example, with a couple of guys that OSU has recruited for the '13 class, Miami (FL) was their strongest competition for a top-100 guard, whereas a slightly lower-rated top-100 big man has Memphis and West Virginia going after him.

I think some underestimate Tubby's eye for talent, though, so I wouldn't be calling for him to be replaced at least until after the 2014 season. You've got to at least give him a chance to show what he can do to replace these guys, especially since you're well behind your competition in terms of basketball facilities.

+1

If you consider that schools like Duke, UNC, Syracuse, UCLA, Indiana, MSU (and others) each get 2-3 Top 100 recruits almost every year, that leaves maybe 75-80 Top 100 players for the other 60-65 AQ schools to fight over. Given that we are in the lower half (at best) of AQ schools, getting 1 Top 100 player per year is a reasonable expectation, getting 2 is a rousing success, and getting 3 is lifetime-contract-worthy.

Yes, but you'd be as happy as a pig in poo if we signed a bunch of Edozie's since you have the Smith family talking points in front of you at all times

Foster commits to Minnesota

Excellent recruiting class so far. Ellis and Foster are guys that will fit Tubby's system.

Foster's offers: Tennessee, Wisconsin, Pudue, Illinois (Weber), Northwestern, Nebraska, and DePaul
Ellis' offers: Kansas State and Northwestern

Foster commits to Minnesota

Excellent recruiting class so far. Ellis and Foster are guys that will fit Tubby's system.

Foster's offers: Tennessee, Wisconsin, Pudue, Illinois (Weber), Northwestern, Nebraska, and DePaul
Ellis' offers: Kansas State and Northwestern

I have not heard UW mentioned with Foster in some time. If an offer ever was put out there, it has not been acceptable any time in the last several months. I am pretty sure you could say the same about Purdue.

I have not heard UW mentioned with Foster in some time. If an offer ever was put out there, it has not been acceptable any time in the last several months. I am pretty sure you could say the same about Purdue.

Foster told UW no thanks a number of months ago. Bo backed off after that.

From ESPN:

Class of 2013 combo forward Nigel Hayes (Toledo, Ohio/Whitmer) already has four visits under his belt, which appears to be enough as he will not make a fifth trip.

"I have taken four official visits to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford and Ohio State,” said Hayes, who runs with the All-Ohio Red AAU squad. “There will not be a final official visit, and I will make my decision before my high school season begins on Dec. 1. But I have no set date."

Hayes has a plan in place in order to help him select the right school.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider

What a drop off in Gopher beat writers from Shelman, to Myron, to now Amelia. Each step has been a significant drop down from the previous holder of the position. Even if you believe this "Minnesota is crap" line of thinking that Amelia has quickly adapted since moving to Minnesota, this answer is COMPLETE BS. Tubby recruited 4 stars guys early in his tenure AND guys like Andre Hollins and Joe Coleman were top 100 guys according to ESPN. Further, I recently listed well over a dozen schools that have had no better recent success than Minnesota who have had success with the class of 2013.

The one story I can give Amelia credit for breaking was the Edozie de-commit. She's had one real scoop in her entire tenure. A few of the great people that work on this site manage to do much, much more.

She's so sexy though. Seriously...Look for her on press row. My goodness.

From ESPN:

Class of 2013 combo forward Nigel Hayes (Toledo, Ohio/Whitmer) already has four visits under his belt, which appears to be enough as he will not make a fifth trip.

"I have taken four official visits to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford and Ohio State,” said Hayes, who runs with the All-Ohio Red AAU squad. “There will not be a final official visit, and I will make my decision before my high school season begins on Dec. 1. But I have no set date."

Ohio State is likely the favorite for Hayes, tOSU boards comment that his friend Marc Loving is already a commit. The comments are that tOSU is a dream offer for Hayes.

Schilling's offers on ESPN (don't know if this is correct) look like Minnesota has a good chance.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/145483/gavin-schilling

Don't know if these are the real twitter accounts - but this site has Schilling congratulating Foster on the commit to Minnesota.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/gavin-schilling

From ESPN:

"I want to step back and let my visits settle in,” he said. “I don't want to make an impulse decision. I want to make a list of pros and cons. My dean is helping me by putting together 10-15 categories for each school and then I can see how that comes out based on my answers."

Hayes, a 6-foot-7 forward with good size and skill, is on the cusp of being an ESPN 100 performer. He is more of a power forward right now, but can certainly make plays on the perimeter. He poses matchup problems for opponents and boasts an excellent basketball IQ. Hayes is also a very good defender who can help his team whether on the ball or providing help.

"The top thing that I offer is on defense,” said Hayes. “I am an aggressive defender. I am willing to defend the other team’s best player and do what I have too: Rebound, block a shot, take a charge or just be in the right position. I also have to work on being more aggressive offensively."

Hayes is very humble and respectful and has an excellent reputation according to coaches around the country. Either Bo Ryan, Tubby Smith, Johnny Dawkins or Thad Matta will not only get a terrific young player, but an excellent representative of the program off the court as well.

Schilling's offers on ESPN (don't know if this is correct)

ESPN offers are never correct. ESPN almost always shows less offers and is less updated than Rivals, Scout, and 247. They do a good job evaluating players, they just never seem to have updated offer lists.

Amelia tweet: "Another recruit #Gophers were interested in RT @BSnowScout: Sterling Brown's father Chris confirms that SMU is the choice for his son"

Go Gophers!!

Once Ellis committed there was no chance that Brown would come. Especially since there is a good chance that Vaughn will end up here in 2013. He would have to compete with Ellis and Wally in his first year and then add Vaughn to the mix in his sophomore year. The pace has picked up and Hayes better decide soon or the Gopher will get another PF like Tory Miller.

Top Bottom