2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Schilling no longer has a top four on his Rivals or 247 profiles. On Rivals, he doesn't list leaders. On 247, he lists a top four of Missouri, Oregon State, UCLA, Villanova. UCLA is the only real urban school of those four; Villanova is more suburban.

From her chat yesterday, Amelia weighs in on Schilling:

"He’s definitely at the top of the Gophers’ wishlist. Schilling has made it clear he doesn’t plan on deciding anything until the spring – he doesn’t seem in any rush. But I think Minnesota has as good a chance as any. To this point, it’s the only school he’s visited. And he’s made it clear he wants to live in a “city” environment. Would make that class pretty strong."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/183040841.html

Go Gophers!!

Big city environment, what schools on his list match that, Villanova, Depaul, Minnesota, USC, UCLA.

Marcus tweet: "Heard Gavin Schilling's interest in #Gophers grew stronger after Illinois win. Tough to compete if Ohio St and Mich St offered though."

Go Gophers!!

Marcus tweet: "Heard Gavin Schilling's interest in #Gophers grew stronger after Illinois win. Tough to compete if Ohio St and Mich St offered though."

Go Gophers!!

:clap:

Great! But yes, it will be hard to compete if Ohio State, Arizona, Villanova, or Duke offers. All are considering offering Schilling from what I've read.

EDIT: Michigan State already has offered.

Gotta say that its nice, that out of that group, other than Duke who is also slipping in the polls now, none of those teams are ranked better than the Gophers. Now all we have to do is beat Michigan and then maybe we'll be the best ranked team among all of those he's considering? Might not be enough to get him, but it sure can't hurt.

247 Sports now lists the Gophers as the top team of the "warm" schools listed for Scilling- for what its worth. I have no idea what they base their rankings on but it is possible that the Gopher's play has sparked his interest. Having Andre, Austin and Joe back together with rather weak front court players like Mo and EE to compete with may cause him to think this is the best opportunity. MSU's mediocre play can't hurt either.

Top 5 Unsigned 2013 Prospects From Illinois

Gavin Schilling 6'9 PF Henderson (Findlay Prep) NV via De LaSalle Institute--Chicago

Schools: Minnesota, Villanova, Michigan State, Ohio State, UCLA, Others
Comments: A highly athletic big man who runs floor, finishes and has a mean streak. Has added strength over the past year and is continuing to develop offensively.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Top_Unsigned_2013s.html

Go Gophers!!

Top 5 Unsigned 2013 Prospects From Illinois

Gavin Schilling 6'9 PF Henderson (Findlay Prep) NV via De LaSalle Institute--Chicago

Schools: Minnesota, Villanova, Michigan State, Ohio State, UCLA, Others
Comments: A highly athletic big man who runs floor, finishes and has a mean streak. Has added strength over the past year and is continuing to develop offensively.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Top_Unsigned_2013s.html

Go Gophers!!

i watched him on tv a couple weeks ago and it is a guard run and gun no offense type game but he was a "non-factor" (that sounded like Reusse saying it as I typed it, I hope it sounded that way when you read it too.)

@LateNightHoops
#Gophers RT @jameskerti: Gavin Schilling told me he has narrowed his list to four: UCLA, Minnesota, Michigan State, and Villanova.
11:29 PM - 7 Feb 13

I like hearing that he has a mean streak. Gophers could use a little bit of "nasty." Competition for his services looks pretty stiff. Sounds like an excellent get if Tubby can land him.

Other than Michigan State, I like our chances. UCLA has turned into a dumpster fire, Howland will probably be gone sooner rather than later. Villanova hasn't been relevant the last few years and there is some uncertainty about their new Catholic 7 conference.

To beat out Michigan State, I think we really need Ellis and Foster to convince him Minnesota is where it's at.

Other than Michigan State, I like our chances. UCLA has turned into a dumpster fire, Howland will probably be gone sooner rather than later. Villanova hasn't been relevant the last few years and there is some uncertainty about their new Catholic 7 conference.

To beat out Michigan State, I think we really need Ellis and Foster to convince him Minnesota is where it's at.

Playing time. Big factor since the PF spot is wide open.

Really would like to add this dude. Hopefully he'll see the PT potential here with the hole at the 4 next season and wanna join forces with his old teammates.

Really would like to add this dude. Hopefully he'll see the PT potential here with the hole at the 4 next season and wanna join forces with his old teammates.

That's the key. He would gets lots of PT as a freshman in a very good conference. I think the draws are PT, Big Ten, buddies already signed, and we were after him earlier than others so not a plan B. Would be a huge get.

@gophersnow: Tubby was out to see Gavin Schilling at Findlay Prep on Thursday night. #Gophers need to land this kid to replace Mbakwe. Great talent.

Go Gophers!!

Kid is consistent, he said he wanted to play in a big city environment, the only school that doesn't fit that mold is Michigan State. Playing time is there, would really fill a need.

@gophersnow: Tubby was out to see Gavin Schilling at Findlay Prep on Thursday night. #Gophers need to land this kid to replace Mbakwe. Great talent.

Go Gophers!!

Good to see Tubby showing him love

Gavin on Mich. ST. offer "it was real special" also close enough for family to drive to home games.

If he were a MN kid, I'd hope he stay home. But since he's not, I think Michigan State is probably a better choice. Izzo does a great job developing big men, and the Spartans are always good.

If he were a MN kid, I'd hope he stay home. But since he's not, I think Michigan State is probably a better choice. Izzo does a great job developing big men, and the Spartans are always good.

Welp, you're obviously not a Gopher fan.

While underachiving this year (particularly early), I'd hardly call UCLA a dumpster fire. They're in first place in the Pac 10 and will make the tourney. They've got some weird vibes off the court, or so it seems, but most teams do-though perhaps not to that level. I do agree with you, though, it would seem most logical that it's between MSU and MN.

Hopefully he sees the gaping hole we (might) have at the 4 next year and that he could step right in. That would be ideal.

Visiting UCLA this weekend - I would guess a decision would come fairly soon after he's had a chance to ruminate on his trip to Westwood.

While underachiving this year (particularly early), I'd hardly call UCLA a dumpster fire. They're in first place in the Pac 10 and will make the tourney. They've got some weird vibes off the court, or so it seems, but most teams do-though perhaps not to that level. I do agree with you, though, it would seem most logical that it's between MSU and MN.

Hopefully he sees the gaping hole we (might) have at the 4 next year and that he could step right in. That would be ideal.

8 games into the season I was thinking Howland wouldn't make it another year.

They have acquitted themselves decently so far, but when Shabazz leaves next year its gonna be the same problems all over again for the Bruins.

Schilling coming to Minnesota would be a big deal, and he is desperately needed in the frontcourt.

Agree UCLA is not is its typical condition, but MN is not exactly been a hot spot either. Villanova has been just as relevant as MN over the past two decades, and MSU is MSU. I totally agree that Ellis and Foster could add a lot of positives into the mix as well, and I hope he decides to come to MN. Question - how many empty scholarships does MN have right now? 2? Then next year for all the big guys how many will open up? Welch, Williams, Ingram, and Trevor are all done this year, right? Then next year it is Hollins, Mav and I mst be forgetting someone? Cant remember off the top of my head...

Agree UCLA is not is its typical condition, but MN is not exactly been a hot spot either. Villanova has been just as relevant as MN over the past two decades, and MSU is MSU. I totally agree that Ellis and Foster could add a lot of positives into the mix as well, and I hope he decides to come to MN. Question - how many empty scholarships does MN have right now? 2? Then next year for all the big guys how many will open up? Welch, Williams, Ingram, and Trevor are all done this year, right? Then next year it is Hollins, Mav and I mst be forgetting someone? Cant remember off the top of my head...

We have 4 open this year, but we'll bank one. Then we have 2 opening next year + the banked one for a total of 3. That way we can at least hope we get the Big 3.

We really really need this guy. Really worried about him visiting UCLA this weekend.

I doubt we bank one for the 2014 class. Someone will most likely leave by then.

Top Bottom