2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

I enjoy that Amelia gives credit to her sources instead of pretending all the information she reports is her inside knowledge (like other people).

Tweet per Evan Daniel: "Chris Perry just committed to South Florida, a source just told Scout."

Go Gophers!!

I guess this means we offered. Amelia's tweet:

"JC forward Daniel Edozie has verbally committed to the University of Minnesota. He called Tubby Smith this morning, he said. #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Daniel Edozie
6-foot-8, 235 pounds
Power Forward

Scouting report: Instant impact-type player at Division I level. Big, strong body with soft hands and range out to 17 feet. Superb lateral quickness and unreal athletic ability. Well above average ball-handler for his size with ability to attack the rim and finish with both hands. Rebounds at an exceptionally high level at both ends of the floor. Dominant defensive force on the blocks but isn't affraid guard the ball on the perimeter. Intelligent, hard-working individual who has the ability to make his teammates better and elevate the level of play while on the floor. Should project as a top 5 lottery pick after first season at Minnesota.

Daniel Edozie
6-foot-8, 235 pounds
Power Forward

Scouting report: Instant impact-type player at Division I level. Big, strong body with soft hands and range out to 17 feet. Superb lateral quickness and unreal athletic ability. Well above average ball-handler for his size with ability to attack the rim and finish with both hands. Rebounds at an exceptionally high level at both ends of the floor. Dominant defensive force on the blocks but isn't affraid guard the ball on the perimeter. Intelligent, hard-working individual who has the ability to make his teammates better and elevate the level of play while on the floor. Should project as a top 5 lottery pick after first season at Minnesota.

Wait what?

Granted, we are in a tough spot for the 2013 class. Fresh off two consecutive 6-12 seasons, the contraction situation, etc. Nonethless, it obviously does not make a lot of sense to make an offer this early to Edozie.

I am guessing that Tubby is going all-in on 2014 class. In fact, out recruits for the 2013 class so far look like a set up/supporting cast for the 2014 class. It is still possible for Tubby to land a couple of good players in the 150 range for the 2013.

Though I really hope for the best as far as the 2014 class is concerned, betting on the class like this seems to be no different from betting one's retirement fund on a couple of stocks. Pay-off potential is high by assuming bigger risk. The 2014 class may be Tubby's another -- possibly his last -- shot at greatness. It should be tempting. And, Tubby can move onto another program since our squads 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 are solid, and they can produce some results that can make Tubby look alight. But, this is not an approach I hoped for.

Gosh, hope I am wrong, and may Tubby soon land some good ones around whom we can build/maintain the program at a certain level.

Granted, we are in a tough spot for the 2013 class. Fresh off two consecutive 6-12 seasons, the contraction situation, etc. Nonethless, it obviously does not make a lot of sense to make an offer this early to Edozie.

I am guessing that Tubby is going all-in on 2014 class. In fact, out recruits for the 2013 class so far look like a set up/supporting cast for the 2014 class. It is still possible for Tubby to land a couple of good players in the 150 range for the 2013.

Though I really hope for the best as far as the 2014 class is concerned, betting on the class like this seems to be no different from betting one's retirement fund on a couple of stocks. Pay-off potential is high by assuming bigger risk. The 2014 class may be Tubby's another -- possibly his last -- shot at greatness. It should be tempting. And, Tubby can move onto another program since our squads 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 are solid, and they can produce some results that can make Tubby look alight. But, this is not an approach I hoped for.

Gosh, hope I am wrong, and may Tubby soon land some good ones around whom we can build/maintain the program at a certain level.

Great points. One thing that I like to add is the fact that Tubby is planning on implementing his signature defense in MN. Something that he did very well before he came here. In order to do that, he would need some super long and athletic players. The players from 2012 and 2013 fit in that category. The only players who could play that kind of game for the past 4 years were Al and Damion . If I remember correctly they were 3 and 2 star players that developed to be great players. What upsets me is the fact that people have not seen 2012 kids on the court yet and already have negative coments about them. I only wish these people were old enough to see the teams that Tubby had a few years before he came here. They were very fun to watch. I hope that I am not wrong. We have been waiting for 5 years. I hope that Tubby can get it done this year.

Go Gophers

Great points. One thing that I like to add is the fact that Tubby is planning on implementing his signature defense in MN. Something that he did very well before he came here. In order to do that, he would need some super long and athletic players. The players from 2012 and 2013 fit in that category. The only players who could play that kind of game for the past 4 years were Al and Damion . If I remember correctly they were 3 and 2 star players that developed to be great players. What upsets me is the fact that people have not seen 2012 kids on the court yet and already have negative coments about them. I only wish these people were old enough to see the teams that Tubby had a few years before he came here. They were very fun to watch. I hope that I am not wrong. We have been waiting for 5 years. I hope that Tubby can get it done this year.

Go Gophers

So according to you, the only players in five years that fit Tubby's style of defense were two Monson recruits?? Tubby has signed almost 20 players since he got here, why wouldn't have have signed at least one (until now, according to you) that fit this bill?

That being said, I don't agree with you that he hasn't signed these players. The following players are "long and lean" under Tubby that you did not mention: Ralph, Paul Carter, Rodney, Trevor, Deove (more so than Al; Al was a great defender but he wasn't long/lean), Oto, Austin Hollins, etc.

So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. If it's that he hasn't recruited a single long/lean defender (which you said, since you think Al/Damian are the only one's he's had on his roster since he got here) then why on earth hasn't he signed a single guy to fit his style?

Or if you agree with me that the list I have above that he has in fact signed a number of long/lean defenders, why on earth haven't we consistently seen this style of D?

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, odd comments about not having long/lean players other than Damian/Nolen. Have you not watched Gopher basketball the past few years?

So according to you, the only players in five years that fit Tubby's style of defense were two Monson recruits?? Tubby has signed almost 20 players since he got here, why wouldn't have have signed at least one (until now, according to you) that fit this bill?

That being said, I don't agree with you that he hasn't signed these players. The following players are "long and lean" under Tubby that you did not mention: Ralph, Paul Carter, Rodney, Trevor, Deove (more so than Al; Al was a great defender but he wasn't long/lean), Oto, Austin Hollins, etc.

So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. If it's that he hasn't recruited a single long/lean defender (which you said, since you think Al/Damian are the only one's he's had on his roster since he got here) then why on earth hasn't he signed a single guy to fit his style?

Or if you agree with me that the list I have above that he has in fact signed a number of long/lean defenders, why on earth haven't we consistently seen this style of D?

Go Gophers!!

Bleed, once I sent the last post, I knew that one person at least was going to mention this. Austin and Rod are in that category. Paul and Trevor are also in that category but they were not developed by Tubby. I think, Joe, Oto, and Dre will develope to be great also. The way that Tubby's teams pressed in the past: it almost always started with the PG like Al and help came from all directions with super fast and long guys.

I do agree with you with the list.

Why this system hasn't worked here, I am not sure. Injuries, coach's cancer, players transfer, coach getting old, B1G conference vs SEC..... ?????

Go Gophers

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
#Gophers PF target Nigel Hayes visiting Ohio St this week with some pretty big names -- http://t.co/xtcUZYtk

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
Nigel Hayes, Gavin Schilling or Tori Miller would be the prize of Tubby's 2013 class. But the latter 2 appear to be waiting until spring.

ReggieRankin Reggie Rankin
RT @Evan_Flood: Toledo (Ohio.) Whitmer 2013 Forward Nigel Hayes is taking an official visit to #Stanford this weekend. NOTE: Stanford hasn't offered yet.

Good news is that Hayes didn't commit to Ohio State this weekend.

Good news is that Hayes didn't commit to Ohio State this weekend.

It is still the weekend.

He wants to commit before his hs bball season starts, I would not be surprised if he commits somewhere this week. Gophs have a good shot.

It is still the weekend.

He wants to commit before his hs bball season starts, I would not be surprised if he commits somewhere this week. Gophs have a good shot.

Curious where this comes from? From what I can gather, Minnesota is at best third behind Ohio St. and Wisconsin. I guess Stanford would have to be fourth, given that they have not offered yet. I am still expecting him to commit to OSU in the near future though.

Curious where this comes from? From what I can gather, Minnesota is at best third behind Ohio St. and Wisconsin. I guess Stanford would have to be fourth, given that they have not offered yet. I am still expecting him to commit to OSU in the near future though.

What would make you say Wisconsin is the clear #2? Not saying you're wrong necessarily, just curious where you gathered that. Definitely agree that OSU appears to be clear #1 though, but ya never know.

Wisconsin got a commitment from Vitto Brown, so I don't even know if there's still mutual interest between Hayes and the Badgers. I guess a Wisconsin fan could say the same thing about us, though, because we just signed a JUCO PF.

What would make you say Wisconsin is the clear #2? Not saying you're wrong necessarily, just curious where you gathered that. Definitely agree that OSU appears to be clear #1 though, but ya never know.

One of the UW sites has had a good deal of contact with Hayes. From those articles/posts and comments on other boards, I gathered that UW would be his choice if he did not stay home at OSU. I don't recall reading anything that had Minnesota as any sort of favorite. I suppose no one on these boards really knows, and it won't matter if/when he chooses the Buckeyes.

Wisconsin got a commitment from Vitto Brown, so I don't even know if there's still mutual interest between Hayes and the Badgers. I guess a Wisconsin fan could say the same thing about us, though, because we just signed a JUCO PF.

From UW's standpoint, I would be shocked if they were not still interested in Hayes. They have one frontcourt player coming in 2013, but they lose three of the four guys who will presumably play significant frontcourt minutes this season. It looks like their scholarships are full for next season, but one (Uthoff's open scholarship) went to guy who was recruited as a walk-on. If Hayes picks UW, there will be room for him.

From Hayes' standpoint, he noted shortly after Vitto Brown committed to UW that the Badgers were not out of the running. He and Brown are different players, with Hayes being the more versatile offensive player and Brown more of a defender/rebounder at this point. They could play together rather well in my opinion, especially given the small lineups Bo seems to prefer.

Amelia blog: Edozie planning to de-commit?

So what happened? No one is saying anything for certain (and Daniel Edozie’s coach, Mike Marquis has not yet returned my call), but it appears that some wires were crossed in the recruiting process and the two sides might not have been on the same page.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/173159941.html

Go Gophers!!

Marcus tweet: "Mutual decision between the #Gophers and junior college PF commit Daniel Edozie for him to look elsewhere. Still 3 scholarships left."

Go Gophers!!

Offer Amir already!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/173123831.html
- More in here.

Local recruits Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake, Wisc., 2015) and Amir Coffey (Hopkins, 2016) were invited to USA’s mini-camp at the U.S. Olympic training Center and the pair have been receiving high praise by those who have watched.

James reported that Minnesota (10/3) and Purdue (10/4) were in gym to watch Ellenson this week.

FoxSportsNEXT.com (formerly Scout.com) reported that Chris Perry, a recruit whom the Gophers had their eye on (but hadn’t offered) committed to South Florida last week

Nigel Hayes will re-tweet just about anything that mentions his name. Here is a retweet he just put out:

"@NIGEL_HAYES Stop teasing your goofer followers, no one with offers from O$U, UW, and Stanford is going to end up at their *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty university"

Go Gophers!!

Nigel Hayes will re-tweet just about anything that mentions his name. Here is a retweet he just put out:

"@NIGEL_HAYES Stop teasing your goofer followers, no one with offers from O$U, UW, and Stanford is going to end up at their *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ty university"

Go Gophers!!

Lmao wow. Stay classy (the original tweeter, not Nigel).

Cross Hayes off that list unless he's just trying to shock the world.

Losing both Brown and Hayes to UW would be brutal.

‏@HeHateMN

@jflann85 @NIGEL_HAYES Jake wanted Bronson with a bunch of other guys, look at his timeline for his twitter.. Nigel is a top priority for MN
Retweeted by NIGEL HAYES

HeHateMe in a twitter war.

I am posting these just to show how over the line Twitter allows fans/boosters to have direct contact with recruits. Here is another tweet Hayes just retweeted: "@wudelhoven @MHeiling @NIGEL_HAYES Fact: Last Minn B1G title was 1997...oops...That banner was stripped due to NCAA sanctions so 1982. lol."

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom