2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

I doubt we bank one for the 2014 class. Someone will most likely leave by then.

I thought they were banking one for 2014? We have four scholarships for next year, but I'm pretty sure "sources" have said they're only signing 3 so they have 3 for next season, since we'll only have 2 seniors the following year.

I thought they were banking one for 2014? We have four scholarships for next year, but I'm pretty sure "sources" have said they're only signing 3 so they have 3 for next season, since we'll only have 2 seniors the following year.

You could be right, but this staff hasn't banked a scholarship once in their tenure at Minnesota. They've also never let that get in the way of signing someone they want. It does seem like all the talk is about a PF now though, and I don't think they'll take 2 more PF's this class. Doesn't Foster kind of project as a tweener 3/4 along with Buggs?

You could be right, but this staff hasn't banked a scholarship once in their tenure at Minnesota. They've also never let that get in the way of signing someone they want. It does seem like all the talk is about a PF now though, and I don't think they'll take 2 more PF's this class. Doesn't Foster kind of project as a tweener 3/4 along with Buggs?

Yeah, Buggs and Foster are probably both tweener forwards with Buggs leaning towards more of a 3 and Foster towards more of a 4. At least that is the way I've seen it from the little I've read and seen from them.

Yeah, Buggs and Foster are probably both tweener forwards with Buggs leaning towards more of a 3 and Foster towards more of a 4. At least that is the way I've seen it from the little I've read and seen from them.

Last I looked into it Foster is more of a 3.

Glad he picked a weekend where they are playing Wash St. Can't imagine the gym will be full and the crowd apathetic.. perfect. I am thinking its between Mich St and the Gophers. The only way I see him at UCLA is the weather. Its awesome. From a guy who went to college in California.. the spaghetti strap shirts and dresses come out a full 3 months earlier there...and you can't compete with awesome :)

Looking back at my 18 year old days, I don't know how you could pass that up!

Minnesota. The land where we try and convince recruits to go elsewhere because we suck. Gotta love "realism" and our wonderful honesty and kindness here.

Schilling would be an awesome signing and get a lot of playing time here and with friends. Not much further from home and he will be replacing two NBA draft picks that played the 4 here. Says something at least about the talent and the U's ability to produce NBA players.

(Complain all you want, but Rodney and Trevor will both be drafted at some point this year)

I thought the opposite. When I saw him over the summer, he looked more like a 4 than a 3. Perhaps he will develop over the coming years, but I think he comes in with skills/abilities more suited for a 4.

I thought the opposite. When I saw him over the summer, he looked more like a 4 than a 3. Perhaps he will develop over the coming years, but I think he comes in with skills/abilities more suited for a 4.

I thought he was recruited as a 4 as well. Who knows. I have a hunch Schilling is more prepared to play day 1 than Foster.. so adding Schilling would provide good youth at the position. The only thing missing after adding Schilling would be a solid pg to replace Dre or study under him. Thats the goal for 2014 obviously.

We have 4 open this year, but we'll bank one. Then we have 2 opening next year + the banked one for a total of 3. That way we can at least hope we get the Big 3.

We could have banked THREE a few years back, but instead loaded up on marginal late commits. Given that, I fully expect none to be banked yet again. I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

I thought Foster looked more like a 4 and more of apower forward skill set as well. I fully expect that only 1 more guy will be added to the 2013 class unless we have somebody transfer from the current team. I think it would really upset a lot of the fan base and wouldn't really send a great message if 1 of the scholarships is not banked for the big 3.

Amelia with a good Q&A with Gavin last night. I like how she peppered him with questions about the Gophers during his UCLA visit. Also, the fact that its raining there can't hurt. :) I still think its us and Michigant St. A tall order.. but it seems like we have a shot.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/190529031.html

If we miss out on Schilling, will anyone else regret Edozie's decimmitment? If we get Schilling, great, but if we don't, we will SORELY miss a strong, nasty big to replace Mbakwe. I know without Edozie leaving we wouldn't even have a shot at Scholling, but still.

If we miss out on Schilling, will anyone else regret Edozie's decimmitment? If we get Schilling, great, but if we don't, we will SORELY miss a strong, nasty big to replace Mbakwe. I know without Edozie leaving we wouldn't even have a shot at Scholling, but still.

No

No, even if we miss on Schilling I think we can find someone better than Edozie.

Does anyone know if there are any other scholarship offers out there right now from the Gophers?

The interview gives me the distinct impression that the Gophers are his favorite.

The interview gives me the distinct impression that the Gophers are his favorite.

I didn't get that impression. He talked a lot about the Gophers, because the fans were asked from a Minnesota perspective.

Does anyone know if there are any other scholarship offers out there right now from the Gophers?

I thought we had offered Thomas who was originally at Texas but went juco. Not were where that is at.

I thought we had offered Thomas who was originally at Texas but went juco. Not were where that is at.

I'm also interested about Thomas. My guess is that we're kind of cooling on him now until we hear back from Schilling.

Gavin Schilling’s Hoops Blog No. 2

"The 6th and 7th of March I will be at Villanova for the Georgetown game. Then the 9th and 10th I will be at Michigan State for the Northwestern game.

I am excited for my last visits and even more excited to finally make my decision late in March. I am also considering Minnesota and UCLA."

http://zagsblog.com/player-blogs/gavin-schillings-hoop-blog-no-2/

Go Gophers!!

This would be a pretty good pick up for the spring period.

Let's hope he's really close with Ellis and Foster.

Hot damn. If we made the final 2, I'm thinking Foster and Ellis are major factors. That and immediate playing time.

We need to play well into post season. This team needs to step up like they did last year at this time. Maybe that will help influence him as well.

Top Bottom