12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per @RyanJamesMN
Rashad Vaughn confirmed what he's said for a long time and that's about his decision likely happening next spring, after his year at Findlay

@collegebbnews: Texas Tech is hoping to get visits from 2014 Minnesotans Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis.

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Rashad Vaughn, the former Cooper High School basketball standout who is now with Findlay Prep in Nevada, is playing at the Nike Global Games for USA Midwest. Vaughn went 6-for-14 from the field and scored 14 points in a victory over Brazil on Thursday. Last week, Vaughn had a standout performance and shared MVP honors at the Reebok Breakout Classic in Philadelphia, scoring 33 points while hitting nine three-pointers.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/216310141.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

@nycoach: I've said for a over a yr that at @ShowtimeMr is the BEST Offensive 2G in class. But this week he was BEST i've seen. #Efficiency & Reads

Go Gophers!!

per Zags blog:

Still, Vaughn knows exactly what it would mean — both to the state of Minnesota and to himself — if he stayed home to play for Pitino.

“I think it would mean everything,” Vaughn told SNY.tv. “I don’t think a day goes by where a Minnesota Gopher fan doesn’t Tweet one of us [Vaughn or Jones] so it would mean a lot.”

He added: “I know if I stay home I’ll be the superstar and the city will love me.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/stakes-are-huge-as-pitino-minnesota-go-all-out-for-big-3/

Go Gophers!!

per Zags blog:

Still, Vaughn knows exactly what it would mean — both to the state of Minnesota and to himself — if he stayed home to play for Pitino.

“I think it would mean everything,” Vaughn told SNY.tv. “I don’t think a day goes by where a Minnesota Gopher fan doesn’t Tweet one of us [Vaughn or Jones] so it would mean a lot.”

He added: “I know if I stay home I’ll be the superstar and the city will love me.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/stakes-are-huge-as-pitino-minnesota-go-all-out-for-big-3/

Go Gophers!!
The kid gets it! Stay home and be a legend Rashad!

I could see us getting Whitehead & Newton package plus Vaughn. That would be insane!!! :D

I doubt we'd get Vaughn/Perkins and Whitehead/Newton. It would probably be one or the other.

I think you are about right, pretty tough for a newcomer to sign to the level of peoples expectations, I'm hoping for one surprise, and two or three decent recruits for 2014.

I really doubt that Minnesota will pick up any package deals for top players.

Do you have any source or serious reason as to why you don't think we'll get a package deal from the class of 2014? Or is it just because of what was already stated (Not known as a power house, new coach, subpair facilities, etc...)? I don't think we have a chance at the Perkins / Vaughn package combo because I think Perkins will commit to Uconn or UCLA. I do however think we have a decent shot at landing the Whitehead / Newton combo, especially if Joseph commits to Cuse soon! Hell, it could be a great thing if we miss on Perkins because he commits to UCLA & we miss on Joseph (I don't think he is really even considering us that strongly anymore) because he commits to Cuse - the reason for this is because it would hopefully help make Whitehead & Newtons decision to come to Minnesota easier. Basically, if Joseph & Perkins commit early to those two schools & Whitehead and Newton are serious about playing together, Minnesota chances are very good of getting the duo to commit!

Do you have any source or serious reason as to why you don't think we'll get a package deal from the class of 2014? Or is it just because of what was already stated (Not known as a power house, new coach, subpair facilities, etc...)? I don't think we have a chance at the Perkins / Vaughn package combo because I think Perkins will commit to Uconn or UCLA. I do however think we have a decent shot at landing the Whitehead / Newton combo, especially if Joseph commits to Cuse soon! Hell, it could be a great thing if we miss on Perkins because he commits to UCLA & we miss on Joseph (I don't think he is really even considering us that strongly anymore) because he commits to Cuse - the reason for this is because it would hopefully help make Whitehead & Newtons decision to come to Minnesota easier. Basically, if Joseph & Perkins commit early to those two schools & Whitehead and Newton are serious about playing together, Minnesota chances are very good of getting the duo to commit!

Perkins will be interesting, I kind of think he commits to Kentucky, it is starting to sound like Mudiay is going to have qualifying problems, if Kentucky waits then UCLA.

I just think when all is said and done the top players migrate to the basketball helmet schools, to get two to commit to Minnesota would be just short of a miracle, a top player almost never committs to a school that is not their home state or not one of the big name schools, most top players don't stay home either though.

That's true, but with Newton picking up a recent offer from UCLA & Pitt that muddies the waters a bit. Newton has a lot of connection with Philly, and some of the players at Pitt have been tweeting back and forth with him. We'll need him to visit here if we want a chance, and develop some connections with guys on the team. Newton is a bit immature (for those who haven't seen his tweets, there are some good ones), and could make a quick decision just to stay near the home town.

I know a date hasn't been officially scheduled yet, but aren't we close to 100% sure Newton and Whitehead our visiting? And yeah, his tweets are incredibly immature (but at least he has some serious confidence haha). Since this is the Rashad Vaughn thread, would Whitehead committing increase or decrease the chances of landing Vaughn? I know this has been discussed before, but it is always a good topic to bring up.

Let's keep this thread about Vaughn. There are other threads to discuss other recruits.

I know a date hasn't been officially scheduled yet, but aren't we close to 100% sure Newton and Whitehead our visiting? And yeah, his tweets are incredibly immature (but at least he has some serious confidence haha). Since this is the Rashad Vaughn thread, would Whitehead committing increase or decrease the chances of landing Vaughn? I know this has been discussed before, but it is always a good topic to bring up.

I think it would increase our chances, in all honesty. Vaughn wants to be on a contending team and seems to have some love for the hometown. Pitino's up and down system probably has a three guard set, which would mean Whitehead and Vaughn on the court at the same time. Both players naturally draw defenders with their scoring play styles, which means the other will be freed up more often for a kick out. Whitehead is also a pretty decent passer...man I'm rambling because I'm excited just thinking about those two playing for the Gophs together.

I think it would increase our chances, in all honesty. Vaughn wants to be on a contending team and seems to have some love for the hometown. Pitino's up and down system probably has a three guard set, which would mean Whitehead and Vaughn on the court at the same time. Both players naturally draw defenders with their scoring play styles, which means the other will be freed up more often for a kick out. Whitehead is also a pretty decent passer...man I'm rambling because I'm excited just thinking about those two playing for the Gophs together.

I agree. But, if Whitehead/Newton did happen to commit, it's vital that Pitino makes clear to Vaughn that he WILL still start, he will STILL be a superstar, he will get tons of looks, and he won't be playing out of position.

I agree. But, if Whitehead/Newton did happen to commit, it's vital that Pitino makes clear to Vaughn that he WILL still start, he will STILL be a superstar, he will get tons of looks, and he won't be playing out of position.

Could he promise that though? There is a chance a senior guard by the name of Andre Hollins will still be on the team. He could obviously leave early with a great year, but if he's on the team I don't know how you move him to the bench. Maybe he'd be fine with a 6th man / bench scorer role too though.

With 4 guards an starting 3. One can't start. Maybe it is Newton or Whitehead you make the 6th man? But a tough call nonetheless.

Could he promise that though? There is a chance a senior guard by the name of Andre Hollins will still be on the team. He could obviously leave early with a great year, but if he's on the team I don't know how you move him to the bench. Maybe he'd be fine with a 6th man / bench scorer role too though.

With 4 guards an starting 3. One can't start. Maybe it is Newton or Whitehead you make the 6th man? But a tough call nonetheless.

Yeah it would be tough, but Rashad Vaughn would obviously start and play almost the entire game. The guy has the talent to be All B1G 1st team his freshman year!

Let's see who's willing to commit of the recruits, then promises flow from performance. Guys as good as Dre Hollins and Vaughn should have no worries about starting if they "commit."

I think Vaughn moved away from home so that when he recruits elsewhere nobody would give him a hard time about it.

I think Vaughn moved away from home so that when he recruits elsewhere nobody would give him a hard time about it.

He actually doesn't recruit elsewhere, but colleges from elsewhere actually recruit him instead. Kind of cool how it works, huh?! :)

It’s Official: Rebels Recruiting Rashad Vaughn

Vaughn is currently in town for the Las Vegas Fab 48, and after scoring 22 points in a Thursday game, he was asked which schools are recruiting him the hardest. He listed Kentucky, Baylor, Iowa State, North Carolina — and UNLV.

“Probably about a month ago, [the UNLV staff] talked to my dad,” Vaughn said. “And now I’m starting to get a relationship with them.”

http://www.runrebs.com/2013/07/25/rebels-recruiting-rashad-vaughn/

Go Gophers!!

Apparently we aren't even recruiting him the hardest anymore. Kind of disappointed to hear that. You better land the guys you are recruiting, Rick. Neglecting a home state kid is not fun to hear.

Apparently we aren't even recruiting him the hardest anymore. Kind of disappointed to hear that. You better land the guys you are recruiting, Rick. Neglecting a home state kid is not fun to hear.

Not recruiting him the hardest is the same as neglecting him? That seems logical. Kimani Young just watched Vaughn last night. It's just one quote, don't take it so seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom