12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not psyched about the Findlay decision. Seems to open things up more for the western schools (UCLA, maybe even Arizona or Vegas, who knows). More of a bad gut feeling than based on facts, I suppose. Also, with Vaughn presumably waiting until spring to sign, imagine the competition we'll have. As usual, Kentucky, Kansas, NC and a host of other "big name" programs will suddenly have a bunch of open spots with guys going pro.

What's going on with this Pete Kaffey guy, who identifies himself as Vaughn's "mentor" and keeps speaking for him? (Yes, I know he's a former asst at Cooper) If he winds up in Vegas then I'm going to start to wonder what's going on.

The concern to me is much more the decision to sign in the Spring than the location of the prep school. If Rashad is interested in Kentucky, it makes sense for him to wait until Spring to see who declares for the draft from the Wildcats. He wouldn't want to commit to UK in the fall with the possibility that both Harrison twins, Poythress, and Young could all still be on the roster when he arrives for his freshman year.

The concern to me is much more the decision to sign in the Spring than the location of the prep school. If Rashad is interested in Kentucky, it makes sense for him to wait until Spring to see who declares for the draft from the Wildcats. He wouldn't want to commit to UK in the fall with the possibility that both Harrison twins, Poythress, and Young could all still be on the roster when he arrives for his freshman year.

Your point might be spot on. Alternative is Vaughn might be waiting to see Pitino's coaching style/record before committing. No one knows for sure

You're exactly right. That is the pattern of the elite recruits that want to go to UK but want to be sure there is playing time open for them. You could say he might be wanting to see how the Gophers play under the new coach, but I think that is a stretch. I'm sure by now he knows the style that Pitino will bring and pretty much everything he needs to know about Minnesota.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Coach Calipari texted <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr">@ShowtimeMr</a> and told him he would be here to watch him <a href="https://twitter.com/BreakoutClassic">@BreakoutClassic</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/355030118294491137">July 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What Adam Zagoria just tweeted!
@AdamZagoria : @ShowtimeMr on list:"Minnesota definitely because they the home team.That's the only ones I know that's definitely going to be on the list."

This tweet shows that no school has stood out (good news for us) - Minnesota is the only one that will for sure be on his list!

Some really good info in this article. Vaughn and Perkins seem serious about teaming up.

"Among the schools in the mix for both players are Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Minnesota and UCLA.

The 6-5 Vaughn also lists North Carolina, Iowa State, Georgetown, Tennessee, Arizona, Syracuse, Texas and recently added an offer from UNLV.

He has not cut his list yet, and said Minnesota is the only one that will definitely make it. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino has made Vaughn a priority and is also working hard on Perkins.

“Minnesota definitely because they the home team,” Vaughn said of schools that will make his list. “That’s the only ones I know that’s definitely going to be on the list.”

“I’ll probably do it at the end of the summer, narrow my list,” Vaughn added, saying that he may trim it to eight."

http://zagsblog.com/articles/rashad-vaughn-josh-perkins-talking-package-deal/#more-99428

Some really good info in this article. Vaughn and Perkins seem serious about teaming up.

"Among the schools in the mix for both players are Kentucky, Kansas, Baylor, Minnesota and UCLA.

The 6-5 Vaughn also lists North Carolina, Iowa State, Georgetown, Tennessee, Arizona, Syracuse, Texas and recently added an offer from UNLV.

He has not cut his list yet, and said Minnesota is the only one that will definitely make it. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino has made Vaughn a priority and is also working hard on Perkins.

“Minnesota definitely because they the home team,” Vaughn said of schools that will make his list. “That’s the only ones I know that’s definitely going to be on the list.”

“I’ll probably do it at the end of the summer, narrow my list,” Vaughn added, saying that he may trim it to eight."

http://zagsblog.com/articles/rashad-vaughn-josh-perkins-talking-package-deal/#more-99428

Just read this. If he is talking to Perkins soon and that is his frame of mind, that could be huge for us.

Just read this. If he is talking to Perkins soon and that is his frame of mind, that could be huge for us.

Let's hope Mudiay commits to Kentucky. He seems like their top PG target, and if they get him they won't be offering Perkins which would mean Vaughn won't be going there, if they indeed intend on playing together.

Kansas and UCLA would be other big threats IMO. Bottom line, we're sitting good right now since both the Vaughn/Perkins tandem and the Whitehead/Newton tandem are considering us.

It's going to be a matter of Pitino convincing Vaughn/Perkins or Whitehead/Newton or whoever/whichever to take the plunge, to take the leap of faith. He'll be able to get them to see the vision. Will it be enough to translate to a signature on a line? That's the big question. I will say this, though. When I read about Humphries practicing with the team the other day, I thought about the positive and negative example he provides. The positive part is that he probably ended up with every bit of the NBA career after choosing Minnesota that he would have had if he'd chosen Duke.

It's going to be a matter of Pitino convincing Vaughn/Perkins or Whitehead/Newton or whoever/whichever to take the plunge, to take the leap of faith. He'll be able to get them to see the vision. Will it be enough to translate to a signature on a line? That's the big question. I will say this, though. When I read about Humphries practicing with the team the other day, I thought about the positive and negative example he provides. The positive part is that he probably ended up with every bit of the NBA career after choosing Minnesota that he would have had if he'd chosen Duke.

The negative: he married Kim Kardashian for less than three months and looked like a complete fool...and is a mediocre NBA player.

The negative: he married Kim Kardashian for less than three months and looked like a complete fool...and is a mediocre NBA player.

The point is that he would have had the same chance to do all that as a Blue Devil alumnus. The question for Vaughn is the path to the NBA.

I would put sleeping with Kim Kardashian in the plus column.

I have always had a good feeling about Vaughn. Maybe it's just because he's been so much more open to coming to the U than Tyus. Definitely a good sign that we are the only ones that are for sure going to be on his list. Some may say he is just playing to the local fans and media, but he could have easily said everyone is the same and that he has no idea what his list will ultimately look like. He went out of his way to say we are the only team he has on the list at the moment, which is significant, in my opinion.

@jerrymeyer247: #Minnesota hc Richard Pitino watvjing Rashad Vaughn at #breakout

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Minnesota's Richard Pitino & Kimani Young courtside for <a href="https://twitter.com/ShowtimeMr">@ShowtimeMr</a> . Wherever he goes, you can bet they will be this month.</p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/355083286135046147">July 10, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let's hope Mudiay commits to Kentucky. He seems like their top PG target, and if they get him they won't be offering Perkins which would mean Vaughn won't be going there, if they indeed intend on playing together.

Kansas and UCLA would be other big threats IMO. Bottom line, we're sitting good right now since both the Vaughn/Perkins tandem and the Whitehead/Newton tandem are considering us.

I agree, let's hope Mudiay commits to BBN.

Points of optimism of them not packaging to Kentucky and coming here instead...

1) Vaughn doesn't like being just another face in the crowd, which he would be at UK
2) Perkins still puts Minnesota in his short list of schools he is seriously considering
3) Perkins doesn't even have an offer from Kentucky yet, and he is their backup plan at PG
4) Vaughn said we are the only team to for sure make his list.

But they may not necessarily go to the same place. I think Mudiay going to Kentucky would help our case with Perkins, however, no way does it effect Vaughns recruitment.

Quite the comparison!

@jonrothstein: Rashad Vaughn has Ben McLemore like ability. Will be one of the best players in the country as a freshman. 15-18 PPG in 2014-15.

Go Gophers!!

But they may not necessarily go to the same place. I think Mudiay going to Kentucky would help our case with Perkins, however, no way does it effect Vaughns recruitment.

I know it's not a guarantee but if you read that article it sounds like they're seriously contemplating going to the same school. So if that's the case, it would effect our recruitment of Vaughn.

Quite the comparison!

@jonrothstein: Rashad Vaughn has Ben McLemore like ability. Will be one of the best players in the country as a freshman. 15-18 PPG in 2014-15.

Go Gophers!!

If the dude can't average 20 PPG we don't need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom