12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've generally felt pretty good about getting Vaughn, at least relative to Tyus, but I have also noticed that nationally, I don't think anyone sees us having any shot at Vaughn, most seem to think it is between North Carolina, Kentucky, and maybe Kansas. I saw on the Whitehead thread on the Syracuse board yesterday, they brought up Vaughn, I wasn't even aware they were going after him, and another poster replied saying it was between UK and UNC. No one outside Minnesota seems to think we have any shot, but I guess I get the feeling that he's at least giving us more than the lip service that Tyus is.

I've generally felt pretty good about getting Vaughn, at least relative to Tyus, but I have also noticed that nationally, I don't think anyone sees us having any shot at Vaughn, most seem to think it is between North Carolina, Kentucky, and maybe Kansas. I saw on the Whitehead thread on the Syracuse board yesterday, they brought up Vaughn, I wasn't even aware they were going after him, and another poster replied saying it was between UK and UNC. No one outside Minnesota seems to think we have any shot, but I guess I get the feeling that he's at least giving us more than the lip service that Tyus is.

Whether or not Vaughn lands here, at least he isn't insulting the fan base like Tyus by saying "YES, THE GOPHERS ARE STILL AN OPTION" while saying in the next breath he will 100% play with Okafor who doesn't have the Gophers anywhere near his radar.

No question that Pitino and staff are working from behind on Vaughn. But they're talented enough recruiters that,, given some more time, they can close the gap on the competition. If not, then it's a simple matter of Vaughn not wanting to be a Gopher and stay on the farm. To be honest, I'll never rip on a dude for wanting to go to college out of state.

Vaughn. Perkins, Whitehead, Travis, and Macura?

Would be glorious.....

Then find a way for a lifetime no escape contract for Pitino. He would be the next John Wooden. We'll beat Okafor, Jones, and Coach K for the National Championship. That is quite the dream class of recruits.

if any of the big three dont play for us... than hopefully they leave the conference otherwise thats like spitting in the face of your hometown

Tyus never said 100% chance he will play with Okafor...

Bro, his mom tweets pics of the two together and says things like, "future teammates" or "Cant wait to see them play together in college"... 100% Tyus does not go to Minnesota because like Miles said, he is going to play with Jahlil.

William Gunter ‏@WillGunter247 9m
@jmw1532 what your prediction on Vaughn? // Not ready to go #CrystalBall but leaning Pitino/Minnesota at moment, UK/UNC close behind.

I just followed him and looked at his tweets but @WillGunter247 was referrring to himself on how to put Vaughn. Not how Vaughn is actually feeling.

if any of the big three dont play for us... than hopefully they leave the conference otherwise thats like spitting in the face of your hometown

no...it's not. Playing for your hometown is an opportunity, not an obligation.

no...it's not. Playing for your hometown is an opportunity, not an obligation.

Really depressing how many people think that not playing for your hometown school is some huge insult/spitting in their faces/a betrayal. All of those people must've gotten jobs in their home area, married/associated only with those from the area, etc.

Watching vaughn, jones slowly slither away reminds me of all the hot girls who started ignoring me once they learned how boring I am. It's so sad :(

Damn, looks like he won't be playing with Perkins. Not sure this is good or bad for us at all. I think we have a much better shot at Newton than Perkins.

Damn, looks like he won't be playing with Perkins. Not sure this is good or bad for us at all. I think we have a much better shot at Newton than Perkins.

Agreed, I don't think it really mattered too much where he went to prep school for us. Hopefully he misses home and wants to play his college year here for the hometown team.

Agreed, I don't think it really mattered too much where he went to prep school for us. Hopefully he misses home and wants to play his college year here for the hometown team.

That's my glass half-full approach. He is using this year as a chance to "get away" and will come to the U to play college ball so he can play in front of his family and friends.

That's my glass half-full approach. He is using this year as a chance to "get away" and will come to the U to play college ball so he can play in front of his family and friends.

+1

IMO, this, not the Gavin Schilling part is the most embarrassing. Why would Rashad visit Findlay prep after he decided on a school (especially if it were another school)? Common Sid...

Sounds like Sid nailed it on the head as far as Vaughn visiting Findlay Prep.

Never understand why a kid is suppose to be fascinated by playing close to home. Seems to me a healthy part of growth would be to go away to school,maybe a better school and a better program. can not find anything wrong with that.

Never understand why a kid is suppose to be fascinated by playing close to home. Seems to me a healthy part of growth would be to go away to school,maybe a better school and a better program. can not find anything wrong with that.

," says the (presumed) Badger fan. Why should Wisconsin kids then be fascinated to play in Madison?

For some kids...absolutely. For others, they may have grown up dreaming about being a Gopher. Each kid should be allowed to make an informed decision, just like those of us that weren't good enough to be a division one athlete. But to suggest that "he would be spitting in the face of his hometown" if he goes to school elsewhere. That's ridiculous. Sell the program. Sell the opportunity. Then he should be allowed to make his decision, in his best interest.

Sounds like he is pretty focused on getting drafted and playing in the NBA, going to Findley, where he decides to go to college, etc., seems like it is being excecuted with that as the narrow single minded objective, if Pitino appears to be a good alternative then maybe he ends up at Minnesota, if it doesn't I doubt he goes here. Playing for the home team probably isn't much of a consideration in his choice.

Originally I was thinking that Vaughn heading to prep school was a good thing. He would get the "I need to leave home" thing out of system. But based on our horrible luck with past Findlay players (yes I know this was the Tubby regime), I'm now very skeptical. In my mind, he's as good as gone.

Sounds like he is pretty focused on getting drafted and playing in the NBA, going to Findley, where he decides to go to college, etc., seems like it is being excecuted with that as the narrow single minded objective, if Pitino appears to be a good alternative then maybe he ends up at Minnesota, if it doesn't I doubt he goes here. Playing for the home team probably isn't much of a consideration in his choice.

+1

I think most top 10 caliber players are not looking for the best college basketball program, but for their best route to the NBA. I'd do the exact same thing if I were in their shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom