12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting that he says he wants to wait until april. that allows him to see where jones is going so he doesn't have to choose a school and later have tyus pick the same school, and it allows him to see how pitino is at the u.

An April decision would not be good news for Pitino and the Gophers. He still might sign with us in the Spring but it leaves the new coach in the awkward position of deciding whether or not to save one for the Spring. The first class is crucial for Pitino so that would be a tough scholly to save unless he felt pretty strongly about Rashad's decision. An early decision by Rashad would help Pitino sell the program to other big time recruits.

An April decision would not be good news for Pitino and the Gophers. He still might sign with us in the Spring but it leaves the new coach in the awkward position of deciding whether or not to save one for the Spring. The first class is crucial for Pitino so that would be a tough scholly to save unless he felt pretty strongly about Rashad's decision. An early decision by Rashad would help Pitino sell the program to other big time recruits.

Vaughn hasn't even decided on his high school (prep school) for next year, let alone narrowing his college list, let alone deciding on a school. It would be great for us if he signed with the U in the fall, but he doesn't seem to be on that timeline. I think he's thinking of an Andrew Wiggins type situation, and has his eye on the #1 rating.

Troy Vaughn said his son’s decision to leave Minnesota does not rule the Gophers as his college choice. He said he loves the direction in which new head coach Richard Pitino and his staff are taking the program.

“[Prep school] gives him a year to improve stuff away from home,” Troy Vaughn said of his son. “This could be a good place for him when the smoke clears.

“That would be a dream for me that I could watch him in my own backyard.”

Kaffey also disregarded the notion that Vaughn’s decision to enroll in a prep school eliminates the Gophers from contention.

“He’s going to evolve into something special,” Kaffey said of Vaughn. “That’s why he wants to make this move. He wants to be the best.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/mens-.../vaughn-chooses-prep-school-keeps-gophers-mix

Go Gophers!!

What did I miss....what's the problem between Vaughn and Jones?

Scuttle on tha Twitterz is that Vaughn is Calipari's #1 wing target and that Vaughn is very interested in playing with Emmanuel Mudiay, who is basically a UK lock.

Scuttle on tha Twitterz is that Vaughn is Calipari's #1 wing target and that Vaughn is very interested in playing with Emmanuel Mudiay, who is basically a UK lock.

And that'd be another reason to wait until April. See who stays and who goes among Kentucky's talented crop of players.

And that'd be another reason to wait until April. See who stays and who goes among Kentucky's talented crop of players.

2014.JPG

This is far from accurate, but they are expected to have 4 guys go in the top ten.

Is it just me or has Vaughn not mentioned Kentucky for a long time?

I understand that Coach Cal could have him as a number one target for the wing, but does Vaughn think that highly of Kentucky is the question?

I probably have my maroon and gold glasses on but, I think if we lose him, he goes to UCLA or UNC.

Is it just me or has Vaughn not mentioned Kentucky for a long time?

I understand that Coach Cal could have him as a number one target for the wing, but does Vaughn think that highly of Kentucky is the question?

I probably have my maroon and gold glasses on but, I think if we lose him, he goes to UCLA or UNC.

I agree with you. In all the interviews and quotes lately, it doesn't seem that Kentucky is on his mind as much. But I also wouldn't rule out ol' Calipari. That guy is as sly as they come and is always in with the top recruits. If Vaughn just wants to go to college as a practice year for the NBA, Kentucky will definitely still be in the mix.

IMO he's only going to college for one year whichever school he selects.

I completely agree. But he might be looking at it in different ways. If he wants to stay close to friends and family he may stay here. If he wants to create a legacy and turn around a program he might stay here. It all depends on his thinking and reason for going to college. But yes, I see him as a one and done as well.

I pray it isn't Kentucky that lands him. Can't stand watching them. Basically an NBA farm system

Despite opinions otherwise, players can go one and done at Minnesota. I think with Vaughn and Dre Hollins they could mutually increase each others stock in the draft.

Rashad is kind of tough to read. He says a lot of good things about the U, but you just never know. Even if he doesn't talk about Kentucky very much, I think they're our #1 competition now that it seems like UNC is less likely.

No chance Vaughn goes to UNC... Top 3 have to be Minnesota, Kentucky & a 3rd that will make a late push (potentially UCLA if Perkins Persuades him).

Am I the only one that would be really upset if he went to Kentucky? If he goes to UNC or UCLA I would get over it. I just hate the way Kentucky does things so much. I'm probably jealous, I don't know.

Am I the only one that would be really upset if he went to Kentucky? If he goes to UNC or UCLA I would get over it. I just hate the way Kentucky does things so much. I'm probably jealous, I don't know.

Yeah that'd be pretty lame, even if he doesn't come here I'd really rather not see him go to Kentucky.

Does he even have a Kentucky offer though? Rivals lists interest but no offer from Kentucky. Other places say he does have an offer though, so I guess he probably does.

Everyone would be upset if he picked Kentucky. But, I wouldn't blame him if he did... Wouldn't you choose a cool million or two in the bank for signing with Kentucky too?

Didn't mean to quote that twice.

On Vaughn to Kentucky...

I really thought the Gophers had a very, very good shot at RV. My reasoning: he would have committed to UNC by now if he were to commit there, UNC now has 3(?) 5-star wing commits, UCLA started recruiting him fairly late, Kansas lost an assistant who had the best relationship with Vaughn, RV hasn't mentioned Baylor (previous favorite) in a while, etc.

THEN I spoke with some guys from Kentucky Sports Connection (kind of like Gopherhole). They told me Orlando Antigua and Coach Cal really want Vaughn. He's their top shooting guard target for the class of 2014. They rambled a little bit about how Coach Cal gets pretty much everyone that he wants badly.

I don't know...I'm certainly much more worried about UK getting Vaughn than before. Rivals still doesn't even list Kentucky as offering Vaughn, but clearly they're very interested. I'm hoping to interview Rashad soon, and I'll make sure to specifically ask him about Kentucky.

What’s next for UNC?

Roy Williams did his homework early in advance of the July midterms, as the Tar Heels have assembled the nation’s best 2014 recruiting class so far. Over the last few years UNC has stockpiled a lot of frontcourt players, but with this class Williams is going guards.

So far, so good. He has one of the best point men in Joel Berry (Apopka, Fla./Lake Highland), a facilitating wing in Theo Pinson (Greensboro, N.C./Wesleyan Christian) and a top-10 player overall in small forward Justin Jackson (Tomball, Texas/Homeschool Christian Youth Association).

So what’s next? I have to think North Carolina is locking in on ESPN 100 shooting guard Rashad Vaughn (Minneapolis/Robbinsdale Cooper), the No. 11 prospect in the 2014 class. Reggie Bullock is gone to the NBA and the Heels have been rumored to want even more scoring. Expect Vaughn to be their undisputed top target in July.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post/_/id/3749/notebook-espn-100-recruit-updates

I still don't see him ending up at Kentucky and think he either ends up a Gopher or a Tar Heel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom