12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone hear about what Iowa State did to recruit Rashad Vaugh last night? I guess their student section took out an ad in school paper (they used all their funds for that) - and then they held them all up for him, along with signs for him. Baylor coach, Scott Drew, then complained about it being an unfair recruiting advantage, and the signs were taken away.

Here's info on the ISU board: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/165155-rashad-vaughn-signs-were-taken-away.html

Also, how fantastic is this? The fans are so involved in recruiting, this was the planning thread: http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/165131-rashad-vaughn-card-stunt-idea.html

Freedom of student speech or recruiting violation if encouraged/coordinated by the ISU athletic dept/coaching staff? Investigation forthcoming???

Otherwise, it's open season on Kinkos mass production placards student section recruiting.

Freedom of student speech or recruiting violation if encouraged/coordinated by the ISU athletic dept/coaching staff? Investigation forthcoming???

Otherwise, it's open season on Kinkos mass production placards student section recruiting.

bingo

Depends where the money came from.

Cyclone Alley has no affiliation with the athletic department, they are free to do as they please when it comes to interacting with visiting recruits.

Scott Drew is just a whiney bitch, anyone who follows MBB could tell you that though.

Duke fans pulling out all the stops with this tweet to Rashad- pretty funny.

@ShowtimeMr there r lots of Beyonce look alikes at Duke... #JustSayin ;)

That seems a little odd, I don't think he even has a Duke offer.

Cool story. No chance he goes there.

I tend to agree. The chances if him choosing ISU are likely quite slim. I guess the fact he's made multiple visits on his own dime might suggest he's at least somewhat interested.

However, many if my fellow Cyclones think ISU has a very good chance at landing Vaughn. If you have any interest in seeing how a non-rival school sees Minnesota relative to competition for a recruit, you might be interested to see some thoughts here:

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/165148-recruiting-rashad-vaughn-q.html

I tend to agree. The chances if him choosing ISU are likely quite slim. I guess the fact he's made multiple visits on his own dime might suggest he's at least somewhat interested.

However, many if my fellow Cyclones think ISU has a very good chance at landing Vaughn. If you have any interest in seeing how a non-rival school sees Minnesota relative to competition for a recruit, you might be interested to see some thoughts here:

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/165148-recruiting-rashad-vaughn-q.html

I was pretty much just being an a-hole, I really have no idea where he will go. Until anyone goes to ISU from Minnesota, they just aren't one of the teams I worry about poaching recruits from here.

I'm pretty sure that's false. Whoopi Goldberg look alikes would be more believable.

Cool story. No chance he goes there.[/QUOTE

Read through it quickly and came across this:

Yeah MN doesn't get much support for all sports. The town is more about Twins Vikes and Hockey. For such a big market - the support and achievement is really pretty sad.

It's true, we could support some of our teams better. But as a state, MN goes to more major sporting events by percentage than IA and it's not even close. If you include Gopher hockey, attendance at the seven major sporting events was over 5.4 million (used numbers of the last completed season). The population is about 5.3 million so that means it's like every person in the state attended one game. In Iowa, a little over 1.3 million people attended games at IA St. and IA. The population here is 3 million which means it's like less than half of the population attended a game.

Sorry I got off topic. One of the many bad things about living down here is how I get to hear how much better supporters they are of their sports teams.

I was pretty much just being an a-hole, I really have no idea where he will go. Until anyone goes to ISU from Minnesota, they just aren't one of the teams I worry about poaching recruits from here.

Yep - I hear the sentiment from both sides that neither really considers the other much of a threat in the recruiting war. As close as the schools are, their perspective recruiting "go-to" geographies don't seem to overlap much.

I know back in the late 90's, Jake Sullivan chose ISU and this year Matt Thomas chose ISU over Minny (but he was from Wisconsin). Joe Coleman also chose Minny over ISU. (Those, of course, are only off the top of my head - there are likely many others where the two competed)

But all-in-all, the two schools surprisingly compete very little for the same recruits.

Read through it quickly and came across this:

It's true, we could support some of our teams better. But as a state, MN goes to more major sporting events by percentage than IA and it's not even close. If you include Gopher hockey, attendance at the seven major sporting events was over 5.4 million (used numbers of the last completed season). The population is about 5.3 million so that means it's like every person in the state attended one game. In Iowa, a little over 1.3 million people attended games at IA St. and IA. The population here is 3 million which means it's like less than half of the population attended a game.

Sorry I got off topic. One of the many bad things about living down here is how I get to hear how much better supporters they are of their sports teams.

I find that argument bogus too (referring to how Iowan's claim greater support). The real difference is that Minnesota has so many more options, you likely won't find the single-minded loyalty like you do in Iowa. But, we Minnesotans (yes, I'm a Minnesotan) are just as passionate, we just have more options, so the loyalty is spread out over the population between the various levels (college & pro) and sports.

Yep - I hear the sentiment from both sides that neither really considers the other much of a threat in the recruiting war. As close as the schools are, their perspective recruiting "go-to" geographies don't seem to overlap much.

I know back in the late 90's, Jake Sullivan chose ISU and this year Matt Thomas chose ISU over Minny (but he was from Wisconsin). Joe Coleman also chose Minny over ISU. (Those, of course, are only off the top of my head - there are likely many others where the two competed)

But all-in-all, the two schools surprisingly compete very little for the same recruits.

Matt chose ISU over Virginia.

Matt chose ISU over Virginia.

He wasn't specifically stating that Minnesota was a finalist. Matt was offered by the Gophers and was very interested in the Gophers. Therefore, he chose ISU over Minnesota, as well as others.

Doogie had reported that Tubby had stopped recruiting Matt Thomas over his last 6 months of recruitment. I find it hard to believe, but that's what was thrown out there.

I think Iowa State would be a good school for Vet Science and Ag majors, but you would really have to like the small town atmosphere to enjoy it there. Two totally different environments (U of M vs ISU). I respect that they love their teams and Fred seems to be doing a great job there.

He wasn't specifically stating that Minnesota was a finalist. Matt was offered by the Gophers and was very interested in the Gophers. Therefore, he chose ISU over Minnesota, as well as others.

Correct - sorry for the confusion.

It's certainly possible Minnesota "cooled" on Thomas near the end, I was just going by Rivals' offer list.

And to Noko's comment - you're dead on, the environment and feel of ISU and Minnesota couldn't be more different. Each recruit probably has his own preference.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-college-towns-in-america-2012-11#2-ames-iowa-9

And to Noko's comment - you're dead on, the environment and feel of ISU and Minnesota couldn't be more different. Each recruit probably has his own preference.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-best-college-towns-in-america-2012-11#2-ames-iowa-9
Very cool ISU guy...thank you for sharing. To be fair, I liked the University of Iowa campus and I have only just driven through Ames and I didn't get enough time to check it out.
I cheer for ISU when ISU plays Iowa, and your football unis are pretty top notch. I just want to see Tubby keep this dynamic class here in Minneapolis. How exciting would that be for everyone?!

I find that argument bogus too (referring to how Iowan's claim greater support). The real difference is that Minnesota has so many more options, you likely won't find the single-minded loyalty like you do in Iowa. But, we Minnesotans (yes, I'm a Minnesotan) are just as passionate, we just have more options, so the loyalty is spread out over the population between the various levels (college & pro) and sports.

Thanks, and by no means was I saying that Iowa and Iowa St. fans are not very passionate about their teams. They most certainly are. Like you said, I just think the passion is spread out more for MN fans (in general).

I think Iowa State would be a good school for Vet Science and Ag majors, but you would really have to like the small town atmosphere to enjoy it there. Two totally different environments (U of M vs ISU). I respect that they love their teams and Fred seems to be doing a great job there.

There are a ton of kids that make the trip down I-35 from the Twin Cities to Ames for the engineering school. I was actually amazed at how many there really are. ISU/Minnesota should probably be an OOC game in MBB. Easy travel, both in major conferences, decent amount of population crossover.

I always thought a rotation of IA St. and Nebraska (before they joined the BT) would have been fun.

Why? Unless you have money to waste, I would never understand that decision.

I visited Iowa State when I was a senior in high school. The Iowa State campus is far superior. The surrounding city not so much, but the campus's cannot be compared. If you're looking for a superior campus life and atmosphere, you would pick Iowa State over the U in a heartbeat.

You have to understand that Minnesota is a university built into a city, Ames is a town built around a university. ISU is the quintessential "college town" atmosphere. It's a matter of preference.

In terms of why there are a ton of kids that come from Minnesota in the engineering program in Ames, it probably has to do with the notoriety of the program, it's pretty highly touted.

I've been to Iowa State a dozen times from my club sports days. It's a good school, a lot of fun, and a lot different then the Twin Cities campus. If you're going to school and want to get away from the Twin Cities and don't mind paying more, I can understand that. From a value perspective, Minnesota is an outstanding engineering school and quite a bit cheaper for instate residents. There is definitely not more prestige with an Iowa State engineering degree than Minnesota though, especially if you want to work in Minnesota. I may think too much like an engineer though, best education for the price isn't the top priority for all students.

not exactly rashad vaughn related, but one of my closest friends started in engineering at i.s.u. and finished in the twin cities. i.s.u.'s program was far superior in terms of an undergrad experience and interacting with profs, while let's just say it was apparent that the u's focus was that of a research school and all the meddling undergrads were a nuisance.

You have to understand that Minnesota is a university built into a city, Ames is a town built around a university.

The population of Minneapolis was approximately 5,000 when the U was built. A more accurate and truthful restatement of your thesis would be "Minneapolis is a major city that grew around where a university happened to be, Ames is a town built around a university."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom